Being too under allowed.

The Driver

I drive.
Some people are just better at this job than others. That's a fact. If you don't speed, don't run, be safe, and follow the rest of the methods but still come in under allowed then that's just the way it is.

jimdandy3

Impeach Hunter Biden
I covered a bid drivers rural route the other day. Today I came in and looked at the statistics sheet that tells you how you did and was very shocked! I was 102 clicks under. So I was wondering how can that be? I followed the speed limit and tried to do most of the methods all day. Following methods I thought would slow you down making it impossible to scratch. Or could it be the fact that I didn't follow Orion and did it the most efficient way possible with cutting out all the unnecessary looping that are in UPS routes. I'm just asking because the bid driver gave me a crazy look. I told him i took my 1 hour break from 12:00 to 1 and took my paid 10min break. I just didn't know what to tell him.

In a normal day how many people give you a crazy look?

rocket man

I covered a bid drivers rural route the other day. Today I came in and looked at the statistics sheet that tells you how you did and was very shocked! I was 102 clicks under. So I was wondering how can that be? I followed the speed limit and tried to do most of the methods all day. Following methods I thought would slow you down making it impossible to scratch. Or could it be the fact that I didn't follow Orion and did it the most efficient way possible with cutting out all the unnecessary looping that are in UPS routes. I'm just asking because the bid driver gave me a crazy look. I told him i took my 1 hour break from 12:00 to 1 and took my paid 10min break. I just didn't know what to tell him.
I guess your name is Rudolph the brown nosed reindeer

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Stop looking at the OR.
The OR is the biggest mind game ups has ever devised. Imaginary numbers that make grown men run like rabbits all day without eating and pissing in bottles in fear for their lives. It's a chair humping festivity for management. It's sad that most fall for it.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Here is the thing, the PDS (dispatcher that makes routes) can alter numbers to a certain degree which can change the over/under allowed for each driver .

This. There's a particular bid route I occasionally cover that has an extremely slow driver. If he calls out sick, which happens quite often, and I wind up on his route, I notice the time allowances are much different than if I was put on the route when he scheduled off in advance. When the PDS knows he's going to be off, he jacks the stop count up and alters the time allowances since he figures the cover drivers will go faster.

He figured wrong in my case, and now I don't get put on that route anymore, which is fine, because I hate it and hope it dies. :happy-very:

Last edited:

PASinterference

This. There's a particular bid route I occasionally cover that has an extremely slow driver. If he calls out sick, which happens quite often, and I wind up on his route, I notice the time allowances are much different than if I was put on the route when he scheduled off in advance. When the PDS knows he's going to be off, he jacks the stop count up and lowers the time allowances since he figures the cover drivers will go faster.

He figured wrong in my case, and now I don't get put on that route anymore, which is fine, because I hate it and hope it dies. :happy-very:
The pds can't lower the time allowance.

PASinterference

Should've said raise? Whatever he does the time it takes to go from one stop to the next magically goes down when this driver is out.
Are you talking about the Orion time? That can be manipulated. Time allowance can not. Nobody in your center has that power. Otherwise your ors would do it everyday to prevent getting reamed on the conference call every day.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Are you talking about the Orion time? That can be manipulated. Time allowance can not. Nobody in your center has that power. Otherwise your ors would do it everyday to prevent getting reamed on the conference call every day.

Maybe its Orion then. I've heard the term "time allowances" and "adjustments" thrown around in the same sentence. Honestly I don't really pay close attention to their numerical jargon and that overly complicated report that all the new guys are huddled around in the morning.

PASinterference

Maybe its Orion then. I've heard the term "time allowances" and "adjustments" thrown around in the same sentence. Honestly I don't really pay close attention to their numerical jargon and that overly complicated report that all the new guys are huddled around in the morning.
I never pay attention to anything that can be manipulated. Just work at a safe pace and screw their numbers. I haven't looked at an operation report in years. I do it by the book, so the report is meaningless to me. They gave up on brainwashing me.

quad decade guy

While many may disagree with OP, I think he is asking a valid question and being honest.

There are routes like this in my building where a driver who IS NOT a runner can get the route done faster than the bid driver.

Here is the thing, the PDS (dispatcher that makes routes) can alter numbers to a certain degree which can change the over/under allowed for each driver . Because everyone works at a different speed and may run the route differently the over/under may not be adjusted based on who’s doing the route other than the bid driver.

Here’s the point if what you are saying is true and you don’t want to gain more work when you cover the route. Talk to the bid driver find out what and how he does the route and try to mimic it. Other than that just follow the methods.

I am not a bonus guy but do a route frequently where the driver is hard core by the methods meaning he will not walk through grass, knocks, rings, etc,etc. Because he files so many grievances and keeps a notebook to cover his butt daily, even when he doesn’t do his route (because he wants to go home and puts me on it) they don’t fiddle with the numbers/dispatch and his 6:30 day is my 5:30 day.

If ANY of what you say is true(altering numbers)(we used to call it pencil whipping), this is a HUGE

conspiracy. If a dispatcher can randomly change allowances based on personalities, whims,

who he is sleeping with etc.....we have a big problem. Ironically, the OP will be in mgt. soon

anyway. I have seen so many mgt. fired for just this behavior(altering numbers)(in 40 years).

AttackedHawk34

If ANY of what you say is true(altering numbers)(we used to call it pencil whipping), this is a HUGE

conspiracy. If a dispatcher can randomly change allowances based on personalities, whims,

who he is sleeping with etc.....we have a big problem. Ironically, the OP will be in mgt. soon

anyway. I have seen so many mgt. fired for just this behavior(altering numbers)(in 40 years).
Sometimes i dont even look at the numbers and my on road sup just tells me out of the blue good job which is very rare at UPS. I wouldn't be surprised if they messed with the numbers. It be times when i feel very slow and lethargic on routes and still scratch. I know my methods ain't that darn on point.

Overpaid Union Thug

If you walk every stop, drive the speed limit, follow ORION, use your handcart, ACTUALLY take every second of your breaks, and follow as many methods as possible you will literally not give a **** about your numbers or anyone else’s ever again. Annnnd (once on a bid route) will have a lighter workload for the same hours than the cowards and idiots that are balls to the wall everyday.

barnyard

KTM rider
Here is the thing, the PDS (dispatcher that makes routes) can alter numbers to a certain degree which can change the over/under allowed for each driver . Because everyone works at a different speed and may run the route differently the over/under may not be adjusted based on who’s doing the route other than the bid driver.

This right here.

The dispatch supe admitted it to me and another last year. Makes it very difficult to compare one driver to another or even know if you are doing better or worse than the day before.

Right now, on my bid route, I have been running more than an hour over. I am doing the exact same thing I did last summer/fall when I was scratching. I am not working an hour later, getting done at very close to the same time.

They are their numbers, not ours.

WTFm8

Not a conspiracy. Building manager and dispatch admitted they can change Orion play by as much as 3hrs depending on who’s on the route.

Who cares tho. Union doesn’t recognize production standards.

myback

I have slowed down to the point they send drivers to me to take stops off without asking for help because I just don’t care anymore.