Best time of year to retire

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I left on a random day before Thanksgiving last year when they just pissed me off for the last time.

It is amazing how far away UPS seems at this point almost 10 months later. My wife and I both work a little part-time just to have something to talk about.

Every week is like a vacation planning what days to golf, fish or go out to drink and find a good place to eat.

Haven’t regretted my decision to leave at all. I have had a few weird dreams where I am back at work..but I still know that I already retired in the dream and don’t know why I am there…Lol
It does seem like a lifetime ago.
Hardly ever know what day it is. It is a saved search on google.
It's nice sleeping at night like normal people. Always had a graveyard shift in feeder.
Eating better
Better physical condition now.
Also have dreams. Never about actual driving. It's almost the same dream. Don't recognize anyone and waiting at dispatch window for dispatch.
Finally threw out the last of my uniforms except my winter vest and winter jacket. They come in handy up here in the Cali Sierra.

COBRA is expensive as hell but it should be the last option. Almost any other plan would be better.
But not to work a couple more years
Trust me I understand the concept of not wanting to work here anymore but

Put a few more years and you have to pay for health care for another decade or should I say pay very little for health care

Overpaid Union Thug

And what kind of insurance quotes did you get? And was it coverage comparable?
It’s all over the place. Versus what we have now, which is an unfair comparison, it all sucks. But seems to be quite competitive with teamster insurance. I have not been able to find detailed information about teamster insurance though.
But I have heard its like $400/month per family only covers you up to $250,000 or something like that.

I have found one plan that’s slightly cheaper than that on the “marketplace” (that includes dental) with a co-pay of $30 per visit. But only covering 50% of just about every procedure. Then there’s the option of choosing plans with a higher deductible versus lower. Some plans have no premium at all because of the tax credit. The ones that seemed more reasonable, and competitive with teamster insurance, are the ones where you pay a premium.

There is a place on the website where you can compare plans. Just answer a few questions. I put in the age I expect I’ll be when I retire and my current ZIP Code. It’s a lot to look at and compare. Luckily I have about seven years before I really need to start looking.

It’s all over the place. Versus what we have now, which is an unfair comparison, it all sucks. But seems to be quite competitive with teamster insurance. I have not been able to find detailed information about teamster insurance though.
But I have heard its like $400/month per family only covers you up to $250,000 or something like that.

I have found one plan that’s slightly cheaper than that on the “marketplace” (that includes dental) with a co-pay of $30 per visit. But only covering 50% of just about every procedure. Then there’s the option of choosing plans with a higher deductible versus lower. Some plans have no premium at all because of the tax credit. The ones that seemed more reasonable, and competitive with teamster insurance, are the ones where you pay a premium.

There is a place on the website where you can compare plans. Just answer a few questions. I put in the age I expect I’ll be when I retire and my current ZIP Code. It’s a lot to look at and compare. Luckily I have about seven years before I really need to start looking.
Health care is going to do nothing except go up in price

oldngray

nowhere special

With the cheaper plans you end up paying more out of pocket. Its all just a gamble on how much medical care you will need.

Overpaid Union Thug

With the cheaper plans you end up paying more out of pocket. Its all just a gamble on how much medical care you will need.
Health care is going to do nothing except go up in price
Which is why I am trying my best to stay in the National Guard and finish my 20 years. TRICARE at age 60 will cost $0.00. I just need to cover the time between retiring from UPS and then. Then five years later TRICARE will be the supplement for Medicare. My wife and I have been seriously considering moving to Spain once we’re both fully retired. Healthcare and health insurance is much cheaper there. The cost of living is much lower too. It’s not like moving south of our border or anything but it is pretty damn good.

Which is why I am trying my best to stay in the National Guard and finish my 20 years. TRICARE at age 60 will cost $0.00. I just need to cover the time between retiring from UPS and then. Then five years later TRICARE will be the supplement for Medicare. My wife and I have been seriously considering moving to Spain once we’re both fully retired. Healthcare and health insurance is much cheaper there. The cost of living is much lower too. It’s not like moving south of our border or anything but it is pretty damn good.
I'm sure you will find the right solution to your retirement

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm sure you will find the right solution to your retirement
I am honestly more concerned with the current political climate. If things don’t improve and improve quickly (and sustainably) many of our retirement nest eggs may be worth a tiny fraction of what we are hoping and expecting. Inflation, possible cuts to Social Security, and other things overseas that could drastically affect our economy here may force a lot of us just to keep working. But at least we’ll still have our current health insurance through UPS. Unless our current CEO keeps us on the same path we are currently on. LMFAO

I am honestly more concerned with the current political climate. If things don’t improve and improve quickly (and sustainably) many of our retirement nest eggs may be worth a tiny fraction of what we are hoping and expecting. Inflation, possible cuts to Social Security, and other things overseas that could drastically affect our economy here may force a lot of us just to keep working. But at least we’ll still have our current health insurance through UPS. Unless our current CEO keeps us on the same path we are currently on. LMFAO
I guess the only thing I can say is stay out of debt and diversify as best as you can

Re-Raise

I am honestly more concerned with the current political climate. If things don’t improve and improve quickly (and sustainably) many of our retirement nest eggs may be worth a tiny fraction of what we are hoping and expecting.
6CBF6669-EFF0-43C6-88D5-2FCE9F7B21D7.png

What has happened to your nest egg because the political climate?

I have made more money off of my nest egg in the last year than I ever made in a year working for UPS.

Overpaid Union Thug

View attachment 350770

What has happened to your nest egg because the political climate?

I have made more money off of my nest egg in the last year than I ever made in a year working for UPS.
Inflation, more bad decisions by our elected leaders, losing more and more manufacturing to China and likely becoming nothing more than a service based economy. We could lose these 401k gains just as quickly (or slower) just as quickly as we gained them. An “economic 9/11” is also a possibility and is even a theory that’s been discussed in certain circles in our intelligence agencies.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

Inflation, more bad decisions by our elected leaders, loosing more and more manufacturing to China and likely becoming nothing more than a service based economy. We could lose these 401k gains just as quickly (or slower) just as quickly as we gained them. An “economic 9/11” is also a possibility and is even a theory that’s been discussed in certain circles in our intelligence agencies.
k

I hope we won’t be ”loosing” anything soon!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Inflation, more bad decisions by our elected leaders, loosing more and more manufacturing to China and likely becoming nothing more than a service based economy. We could lose these 401k gains just as quickly (or slower) just as quickly as we gained them. An “economic 9/11” is also a possibility and is even a theory that’s been discussed in certain circles in our intelligence agencies.
I still don't see how you have lost money. Just like someone else mentioned, we have made more money on our investments every year for the last 5 years than I made at UPS.

Sure it could all tank. Yes, corrections happen. Recessions happen, Even depressions can happen. Inflation has been here since the beginning of time.

But we still look long term even though we are in our 60's. Equities have averaged a gain of 8% a year for the last 40 plus years. That means on average you will double your money every 9 years. However , our 401k has doubled in just the last 5 years.

All our eggs are not in one basket.

Overpaid Union Thug

I still don't see how you have lost money. Just like someone else mentioned, we have made more money on our investments every year for the last 5 years than I made at UPS.

Sure it could all tank. Yes, corrections happen. Recessions happen, Even depressions can happen. Inflation has been here since the beginning of time.

But we still look long term even though we are in our 60's. Equities have averaged a gain of 8% a year for the last 40 plus years. That means on average you will double your money every 9 years. However , our 401k has doubled in just the last 5 years.

All our eggs are not in one basket.
I never said I lost money.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We're gonna get a correction at some point, but when it actually hits is anybody's guess. Just gotta know your risk tolerance and allocate your assets accordingly.

Overpaid Union Thug

We're gonna get a correction at some point, but when it actually hits is anybody's guess. Just gotta know your risk tolerance and allocate your assets accordingly.
There’s a guy in my center that contributes 100% to the S&P 500 fund. Has been for years. I’d love to see the fluctuations in his balance over the past 20 years.

Re-Raise

There’s a guy in my center that contributes 100% to the S&P 500 fund. Has been for years. I’d love to see the fluctuations in his balance over the past 20 years.
C4AE8267-46D3-463C-BEE6-9FEA45C0A3B5.png

That type of information is readily available..you can infer from this graph that his investment has followed a similar trajectory.

When you discuss your “nest egg” ..you aren‘t actually investing in eggs..are you?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was 100% in equities through the dot-com bubble and the housing bubble and never sold, but once I fully recovered from 2008 I started moving more of my portfolio into the bond fund cuz I didn't have the stomach for another ride like that.

I was 100% in equities through the dot-com bubble and the housing bubble and never sold, but once I fully recovered from 2008 I started moving more of my portfolio into the bond fund cuz I didn't have the stomach for another ride like that.
It's hard to watch especially when you have a big balance