Better pay, Stronger language?

What do you want in the new contract? Stronger language or better pay?

• Stronger language

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • better pay

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

kingOFchester

If you had to choose between the two, which do you want in the 13' contract?

Better pay
Or stronger language for the Brotherhood?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Better pay.... The language for the most part is fine just needs to be enforced. As long as our fellow MEsters continue to bend over and not file and as long as when things are filed on our union leaders are making side deals to throw out said grievance all the language in the world won't help us.

brown_trousers

Better pay.... The language for the most part is fine just needs to be enforced. As long as our fellow MEsters continue to bend over and not file and as long as when things are filed on our union leaders are making side deals to throw out said grievance all the language in the world won't help us.

Really? I was almost disgusted after reading all the great ideas last contract that got completely butchered when translated into "contract language".

ie... It shouldnt take more than a couple sentences to effectively write out 9.5 language. The contract would have been WAY less disputable if they just committed to simple direct sentences like: "any full-time driver can opt-in to a 9.5 hr day and recieve $90/hr for all hours worked over 9.5 hours". Its only when they drag out ideas like this with lots of language that it gives UPS ammunition to fight against it.

for 2013 I would like to see simple direct language in the contract and a union that is more proactive in enforcing it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Better pay.
I'd love to have both, but push comes to shove I took this job for the money not the contract language.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Better pay.
I'd love to have both, but push comes to shove I took this job for the money not the contract language.

Pay is measurable and tangible.
These intangible terms and conditions are hard to enforce ... stronger language means little.
The one thing that gets business's attention is money.
That's why nothing else is negotiated until the financial package is settled.

The above is not specific to UPS but to all companies with union workforces.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Pay is measurable and tangible.
These intangible terms and conditions are hard to enforce ... stronger language means little.
The one thing that gets business's attention is money.
That's why nothing else is negotiated until the financial package is settled.

The above is not specific to UPS but to all companies with union workforces.
100% agree. You can always mince words and make something written look like something different. When it comes to pay, there's no mistaking what's owed to who and when.