Better raises for part timers

Mr. Marshall

I heard from a good source about a part timer during peak at full scale (pre 1982) in a building which was working both Sat. and Sunday making more than $5,000 for each week of peak. I did the math and it was possible. The sad thing is the company was definitely not getting $5,000 worth of labor from him as no older person can keep up a pace 7 days a week for 14 or 15 hours a day. I think making $80,000 during the other 48 weeks may be a huge challenge especially considering there is 7 weeks when he would only make 20 hours of vacation pay.

Mr. Marshall

The problem with part-time pay is the benefits package after a year is worth more than actual money they earn in the beginning. So in reality UPS is paying somewhere around $25 an hour. There needs to be a way to opt out of the health care (especially if you can be on your parents).

km3

The healthcare is the only reason I still work here. In terms of wages, I can get higher pay for less actual work (and a lot less harassment) elsewhere.

I agree, though. Insurance is nice, but it doesn't pay the rent. PTers who want to monetize their benefits should be able to.

PT Car Washer

The problem with part-time pay is the benefits package after a year is worth more than actual money they earn in the beginning. So in reality UPS is paying somewhere around $25 an hour. There needs to be a way to opt out of the health care (especially if you can be on your parents).
The benefits that UPS provides for the younger workers subsidizes the higher health care cost for the older more frail FT workers. That $25/hr in wages and benefits will still only buy $10/hr worth of groceries minus taxes and Union dues.

Mr. Marshall

The benefits that UPS provides for the younger workers subsidizes the higher health care cost for the older more frail FT workers. That $25/hr in wages and benefits will still only buy $10/hr worth of groceries minus taxes and Union dues.

I understand that but that doesn't help the person making $10 an hour and it's hard not to blame UPS for not wanting to go higher than $25 an hour.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
The last contract the part timers should of got a 1.00 catch up raise also. I vote no on every contract.

Dr.Brownz

Pt cover driver is a scam...and are not necessary since some places don't use them and do just fine... You are either a full time bid driver or a full time unassigned driver... That's it, those are your two choices...
There is part time cover driver here they have been stringing along for years now with promises of a FT driving spot. It's tough for him right now especially because the next seniority PT cover driver is a single parent and will take anything they can get. So if he turns it down the 2nd place driver will take the work, so he is in between a rock and a * place.

Last edited by a moderator:

rudy5150

All part timers should get a $2 raise august 1st 2018. Full timers 80 cents. Drivers already make 3-4 times more than part timers...it's time to narrow that wage a bit.

Poop Head

Judge me.
All part timers should get a $2 raise august 1st 2018. Full timers 80 cents. Drivers already make 3-4 times more than part timers...it's time to narrow that wage a bit.
Performance based raises? I can think of some people who should prob get a paycut lol

By The Book

Those raises for all involved, and those for the remainder of the next contract would price us out of the market. Based on your initial numbers s driver would be making about $40 per hour. Drivers only make a little over 3 times what the new part time employees make, not the 5-10 year ones.