Big brother is watching

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I took 21 minutes of lunch time yesterday morning around 11 A.M. to do some appliance shopping at the local store. When I got back to the truck a message on my board from my supe said "how was burger King?" I sent back "wrong, shopping at Rex TV". They know what you are doing when you are doing it. Be aware. BM

rod

Retired 22 years
He probably had his feet up on his desk and was kicked back in his chair at the time. Maybe you should have responded that he should have better things to do than wonder what people do on "Their Break". I always went by theory that 2 can play the "worthless message game":peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was on my break at Dunkin Donuts when my on-car called me on my cell. He and I are friends so I have no problem with him calling on my cell. Anyway, he jokingly asked if I could do an OCA for him after I finished my break at Dunkin Donuts. When I asked him how he knew where I was he laughed and said that they know where we all are at all times.

Big Brother is a term that was made famous by George Orwell in the book 1984. It is a fascinating read and many of the predictions that he made in that book have come to be.

Leftinbuilding

Yesterday (Mon.) a driver called in a missort and said he would be unable to deliver it. The mgr took a look at his computer and saw that the driver was just around the corner from the missorted stop. Told him to deliver it. (I had to smile cause this particular driver doesn't want to deliver his own stuff much less anyone elses.) The point is, they can now watch you in real time, from the comfort of their office.

Leftinbuilding

Just curious, did the center manager just say "deliver it" or did he add a little more to the conversation? I am betting he had much more to say.

Actually, he was feeling kinda smug cause the driver didn't know how he (the mgr) knew where he was. Kinda like playing with a new toy. It is amazing technology.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The OMS showed me what they see on the screen. A map shows every stop you completed and also the ones you have left in trace order. Where you've been and where you're going. When you punch in lunch a knife and fork shows up next to your name on on the screen.

helenofcalifornia

Scary! But if you are on the up and up, nothing to worry about. Just kinda sad that they feel they have to use this technology to control their drivers. The few that take advantage will be caught.

drewed

Shankman
Scary! But if you are on the up and up, nothing to worry about. Just kinda sad that they feel they have to use this technology to control their drivers. The few that take advantage will be caught.

Its not meant to control drivers, its meant to more efftively dispatch drivers and on occassion keep the drivers honest

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

helen, I would hope that this technology will be used for more than controlling drivers, although I am sure that this will be one of it's functions. In the example above, a driver called in to say that he couldn't run off a misload which was just around the corner. In the past, the OMS would have had that driver leave the misload at a specified drop point and had the driver of that route swing by that drop point and pick up the pkg and deliver it. Now, the OMS has the technology to properly assign the delivery and to tell the driver to get off his behind and run it off himself. This should be useful when assigning OCAs as we all have drivers who don't like doing OCAs and will do all that they can to have them assigned to someone else.

As with all new technology, whether UPS related or not, there will be pros and cons, sound usage and, unfortunately, abuse.

I took 21 minutes of lunch time yesterday morning around 11 A.M. to do some appliance shopping at the local store. When I got back to the truck a message on my board from my supe said "how was burger King?" I sent back "wrong, shopping at Rex TV". They know what you are doing when you are doing it. Be aware. BM

You should have said you were at his house giving his wife a back rub.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had a shipment , 1 of 2, and one not on truck, and when I called to find out if it was there, yes it was and someone had written up as a bad zip. Funny thing I had it the day before and it was fine. Customer was closed. The box left there was tires, and the box I had was a COD. Seems it was too late to bring it out to the customer. "I said why, bar thirty? " It was only 250. Seems the sup had better things to do than service, so I told the guy when he got it, ask for his shipping back. It should have been brought to him, If I had it on my car and it was a misload, I have to deliver it, as Im always right around the corner. Seems it depends wether you wear brown or suit and tie as to what is an acceptable failure.

BCFan

1000 comedians outta work and Scratch is TRYING to be funny for free!!!! BC (not Barack or Clinton)

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Seems like I remember "big brother" from the 70's.

Bottom line is this, if you dont punch in you lunch when you actually take it, that can be construed as dishonesty. All they then have to do is actually watch you in person to make it stick.

Information services are a great tool when used. But it can be hell if miss used. And UPS is known for having management that love to misuse things.

d

Channahon

The new technology will also keep management staffing to lower levels, possibly eliminate the need for calls or messages from drivers as to what you have delivered and what is left. Especially during peak and seasonal hires.

Hopefully, be proactive if a driver is having problems on area and needs help. I haven't seen the technology, new as it is, and being gone for a couple of years, but knowing UPS I'm sure there is a plethera of benefits to the operation, in addition to knowing the location of the drivers.

As many systems and reports that are used by operations, the system may only be looked at a couple times a day, in my opinion and past experience.