BIG damn dog

25yrvet

I had a 120 lb German Shepard, he was the nicest dog to 99% of the people, once in a while he would go wandering........

The first time our rural neighbors saw him he walked right into their grandchild's birthday party. He helped himself to the peanuts on the table while 1 of the mothers' cried "WOLF".
A couple times he walked into the open doors of my wife's school!! Right into her classroom!
He wandered down to the convienice store a couple times where the clerks bought him beef jerky and put him in their car 'cause it was cold outside and they felt sorry for him---I found this out after they found out we belonged to each other.
I was half a mile away from my house one day delivering. I was in a groove and noticed a dog in the corner of my eye, but had just come to a stop and was getting out of the door. Here comes the ol buddy, happy as can be, I tried to scold him but couldn't hide the smile in my heart. So I tell him to get in the brown truck & WE drive home.

We lost Isaac on fathers' day of '06, we knew we were gonna loose him soon as a trip to the vet in early spring told us that he had a bad heart. That nite after the vet appt I started digging his grave, it started raining--you couldn't tell the difference between rain drops and my tear drops. The day before he died we got to do everything he loved to do with me--(he never left my side when I was home) we drove to the post office in the crew cab truck, we watered trees, and he 'snuk off' & chased the neighbor's cows.
I tell people he died of a bad heart...'cause he gave a bit of it to everyone he met.

brownIEman

There is actually a heartwarming story about the Mastiff in the picture. He is a rescue dog, he had been abandoned and neglected. The new owners havent had him long and are having trouble getting him to socialize. He is very timid and fearful, to the point of cowering and peeing around strangers. But when he saw my truck, he got up and came running. He was woofing at it and running circles around it, and the moment I came to a stop he was up and inside and trying to get into my lap. It made the new owner cry to see how he was suddenly acting so friendly and outgoing towards me and the truck. We think that, whatever abuse or neglect he may have suffered in his previous life, the arrival of the UPS man must have been a happy occasion for him, probably involving treats. He is a neat dog, I just make sure to keep a towel in the truck for cleaning up the slobber.

Soperups,
Awesome story, thanks for sharing it. I would not doubt for a second that you are correct. Very likely this dog was neglected by his former owners and given a treat by the local UPS driver when he/she came by. I have seen it many times when doing observation rides, especially on the more rural routes, dogs penned or chained up in yards in not the best of conditions, but always happy to see the UPS car arrive as it means treats.

I am firmly convinced that while humans may be the only animals capable of writing poetry and songs about loyalty and unconditional love, we don't know crap about what they really mean. Dogs do.

barnyard

KTM rider
I love dogs and carry treats with me. A couple of dogs have gotten so used to them, that when I am gone and the replacement delivers, I am told that the dogs mope around because the cover guy does not pass out treats.

At one house, there are 2 labs. Evidently, the treats I pass out are like doggy crack, cause these 2 go nuts! The other day, the younger one (about 2ish) was in the house and I could hear her barking to get out. The owner opened the door and the dog jumped off the porch, easily clearing 15 feet and ran out by me and the older dog.

It was like watching the ESPN dog olympics.

(In the voice of Bill Murray from "Stripes") "Raise your hand if you cried when one of your customers dogs died."

I have.

TB

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I used to carry dog treats but one dy I got read the riot act by a lady who only fed her dog organic vegetarian free-range treats. I think she was a little over the top, but it was her dog so I had to respect her wishes. Some dogs also have weight issues and the owners are trying to slim them down...kind of like what my wife is doing for me.

barnyard

KTM rider
The one's I carry are tiny. They're the tiniest, generic, bulk one's at the grocery store. The people that know me, have seen the treats, cannot figure out why the dogs get so excited. Most think it's pretty funny.

I carried treats a bunch of years ago, till someone called the 1-800 hotline because they said the treats I gave their dog gave him the squirts. My supe thought it was funny...

TB