Big Strike expected in Louisville

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I still want to see the fine print on this contract before I'll assume what's in it.

a few thoughts that currently interest me :

1) FT Drivers don't want to work Saturday, let alone Sunday.
Adding S-Th to the T-S doesn't sound like a popular option but it's the only other one available.
Forget about routes as we know it now, you'll be bidding start times and towns instead.
7 day a week service IS going to happen, we have to choose our poison.

2) UPS will pay millions of dollars to make sure MAX volume goes to the weekend.
They will do everything in their power to dwindle the staffing of FT drivers.
If we forced FT pension contributions for the 2nd tier weekend work, would that change anyone's minds ?

3) If UPS came to the table and said "We have Amazon weekends and 5 of the biggest FedEx Ground accounts coming if you pass this contract"
How could we say no to making UPS bigger ?
Is it in our best interest to think long term and make sure UPS is on top and can't be toppled ?

4) Having a bunch of PT Teamster driver help (that actually contribute to our pension unlike casuals) during Peak would be helpful for Locals.

I still want to see the fine print on this contract before I'll assume what's in it.

Adding S-Th to the T-S doesn't sound like a popular option but it's the only other one available.
Forget about routes as we know it now, you'll be bidding start times and towns instead.

2) UPS will pay millions of dollars to make sure MAX volume goes to the weekend.
If we forced FT pension contributions for the 2nd tier weekend work, would that change anyone's minds ?

3) If UPS came to the table and said "We have Amazon weekends and 5 of the biggest FedEx Ground accounts coming if you pass this contract"
Is it in our best interest to think long term and make sure UPS is on top and can't be toppled ?

4) Having a bunch of PT Teamster driver help (that actually contribute to our pension unlike casuals) during Peak would be helpful for Locals.
And you actually believe this crap?

Come on...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

2) they are full time employees so they'll be getting full time contributions.

And no throwing more money at a broken system is only delaying the inevitable.

In the areas where the pension is in bad shape the only way to fix it or even prolong the inevitable outcome is to slash payments. The little bit of extra money they will get from this will be a drop in the bucket when the market turns down again. And it's not if but when that will happen.

Brownslave688

Just my thoughts without seeing anything.
If ups "needs" weekend delivery to stay competitive then the volume is there correct? Why else demand it? It's pretty simple to me full time driver is no longer m-friend job. Sorry things have changed. What we can keep is each individual having a defined workweek and 2 consecutive days off.

Now how bout a solution to even out our volume desciprency from day to day. Instead of giving shipper like Amazon massive discounts give them another option. Non guaranteed ground for a cheaper rate. Most companies would be ok with a 2-3 day delivery window and this would allow ups to even out volume over a 7 day work week. We are a logistics company after all. Should be a cake walk for them.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If ups "needs" weekend delivery to stay competitive then the volume is there correct? Why else demand it? It's pretty simple to me full time driver is no longer m-friend job. Sorry things have changed. What we can keep is each individual having a defined workweek and 2 consecutive days off.

Now how bout a solution to even out our volume desciprency from day to day. Instead of giving shipper like Amazon massive discounts give them another option. Non guaranteed ground for a cheaper rate. Most companies would be ok with a 2-3 day delivery window and this would allow ups to even out volume over a 7 day work week. We are a logistics company after all. Should be a cake walk for them.

I'll apparently check you off for the S-Th slot then, LOL

Brownslave688

I'll apparently check you off for the S-Th slot then, LOL
I can both oppose the language for the overall strength of the union and accept that the job might work good for my individual situation.

However the language I've seen would not work well for me. Here's what i would need to bid the job.

9.5 protection (actually a strong stance on anything over 8 like 22.3)

And a limit on the number of hours one can be on road per day.

I'm not taking a paycut to work 1 hour on the preload then 9 hours on road.

Give me Sunday thru Thursday and 4/4 or 3/5 and I'd be ok.

If anyone is on road for longer than 4-5 hours it should be automatic full scale. X amount of days over that limit in a year should create a new full time driver job.

I can both oppose the language for the overall strength of the union and accept that the job might work good for my individual situation.

However the language I've seen would not work well for me. Here's what i would need to bid the job.

9.5 protection (actually a strong stance on anything over 8 like 22.3)

And a limit on the number of hours one can be on road per day.

I'm not taking a paycut to work 1 hour on the preload then 9 hours on road.

Give me Sunday thru Thursday and 4/4 or 3/5 and I'd be ok.

If anyone is on road for longer than 4-5 hours it should be automatic full scale. X amount of days over that limit in a year should create a new full time driver job.
wxZVenBE9msRq.gif

That's how the original proposal was sold.

No OT for those that don't want it was supposed to be the trade off for working Saturday or Sunday. And it was supposed to be half driving half preload or local sort.
Looks like they might need some bigger buildings and a whole lot more package cars to accommodate all of those drives

Brownslave688

Looks like they might need some bigger buildings and a whole lot more package cars to accommodate all of those drives
Yeah I'm
Not holding my breathe for tons of full time jobs.

How bout language that none of these guys drive if a ft driver is laid off and wants the work?