"BLack Thursdays"

S

saintteamo

dROOLER, ups DOES NOT PAY COMPETITIVE PART TIME WAGES WHEN CONSIDERING THE BACK BREAKING WORK AND POOR HOURS OF WORK DEMANDED. fED EX PAYS $4 MORE PER HOUR. aLSO FED EX TREATS THIER EMPLOYEES MUCH BETTER ,IS A SAFER PLACE TO WORK AND REQUIRES LIFTING ABOUT 30% OF THE WEIGHT PER HR AS UPS. uPS PAYS BETTER BENIFITS BECAUSE THE tEAMSTERS DEMAND IT. asK ANY UPS PART TIMER IF THEY WOULD PREFER THE TUITION BENIFITS OFFERED BY UPS OR THE $14,50 PER HOUR MORE IN PAY THAT THE PRE 1982 HIRES RECIEVE.uPS ONLY PARTICIPATES IN THE WELFARE TO WORK PROGRAM BECAUSE ITS A SCAM THAT FINANCIALY BENIFITS THE COMPANY. tHIS PROGRAM SHOULD BE SCRAPPED AS IT DOES LITTLE OR NO GOOD FOR SOCIETY AND THE VICTIMS PARTICIPATING. wHEN UPS PAID A FAIR WAGE TO ALL THAT WAS ENOUGH TO GO TO COLLEGE AND LIVE OFF THE PART TIME HOURS THEN UPS WAS DOING A GREAt community service. Now ups trys to put a positive spin on what it offers with twietede self serving facts. What ups now provides comparecd to what it has destroyed is a national disgrace. Anyone comparing the two would agree .Tieguy aka upswsup has no legitimate right to the Black Thursdays financial data etc. He can be asured that the amount spent on the upcoming public awareness bumper sticker campaign will by far exceed the difference between the cost and revenues of the t shirt sales.

R

robonono

Hey, saintteamo, please turn down the volume. No reason to scream in CAPITALS.

I find it very ironic that you hold non-union FDX in such high regard for their pay scale?

Now I must ask you, does FDX pay more out of the goodness of their heart? You certainly won't give UPS such credit. Or is FDX able to do so by virtue of not having to fight the union's excessive demands at the end of each contract?

T

thedrooler

saintteamo

You're a professional victim and you want to drag other dim-witted souls into the morass with you. Unfortunately, there are people who believe the crap you peddle and help you perpetuate it. Too bad...for them.

Drooler

T

tieguy

"BREAKING WORK AND POOR HOURS OF WORK DEMANDED. fED EX PAYS $4 MORE PER HOUR. aLSO FED EX TREATS THIER EMPLOYEES MUCH BETTER ,IS A SAFER PLACE TO WORK AND REQUIRES LIFTING ABOUT 30% OF THE WEIGHT PER HR AS UPS."

There you have it Kim is saying non-union fedex is a better place to work. Kim is also clearly saying the union is the cause of part time poverty. Thank you Kim for your valued opinion.

S

saintteamo

Tieguy aka upssup, You are partially right fed ex is a better place to work for new part time hires. however the union is not to blame for ups exploitive poor pay, job harrassment, unsafe working conditions etc. Thats the fault of greedy ups mgmt. Frankly the mgmt at fed ex are better human beings.

T

thedrooler

saintteamo

How long did you work at UPS and how long did you work at Federal Express? What kind of jobs did/do you perform?

Drooler

S

saintteamo

Drooler,Never at Fed ex, but I know many that do including my cousin that used to be a full time mgr at the ups Oakland hub. He took a buyout several years ago. Recently he saw an add by fed ex. So he fed exed his resume and they e mailed him offering an interview the next day. He took the job which pays far better than he made at ups including stock points etc. He is now happy as a clam. Also he likes that he doesnt have to be a part of the ups mgmt team that employs exploitive,coercive and oppresive tactics in many peoples opinion.

As to ups I worked there for 8 years . This included loading,unloading, pickoff to box lines, box line sorter ,damaged parcel handler, utility driver for afternoon pick ups , package driver and customer service auditor. Also I served several terms as first assistant steward ,then steward ,then chief part time steward.Also two terms on the unions organizing committee. I was repeatedly offered to become what was then called a full time manager /partner/shareholder.I am greatfull that I was hired before the 1982 wage reduction and follkowing twenty year s of economic holocaust inflicted by ups upon the part timers abnd society. I was one of the many that benifited by being able to go to college full time.pay tuition.books.room at a home shared with other students rental,utilities.food and afford a used car while working part time at ups. Ups was a very responsible corporate citizen then. I would like to see ups once again be a good employer for part timers that contributes to the economic foundation of our great country like the great pay and benifits paid to drivers does.I am now retired and living in paradise , so besides community service priojects with my church i am helping the Black Thursdays movement to end Ups part time poverty etc.UPs is a company that provides excellent service but needs to reform thier payand w2orking conditions for part timers. If you can suggest a way for me and my fellow black Thursday committee members to better achieve this than our current tactics ,then please feel free to comment.But remember that it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see through the twisted self serving propaganda that ups employs to see that the ups of the past was a better place to work etc for part timers and society.

D

deliver_man

follkowing twenty year s of economic holocaust inflicted by ups upon the part timers abnd society.
Statements like this are why I find it hard to believe that this "Saintteamo/ Kim Cotter" character is for real. Nobody could actually believe such nonsense, right? I have seen this person(s) posting on teamster.net, and now he/she has apparently found their way here. I figure it's just someone with a weird sense of humor and too much time on their hands.

T

thedrooler

Saintteamo
You never worked at fedex, but you know their management people are better human beings than management at UPS. How did you figure this out? Because they hired one of your relatives who quit UPS?
You mention the economic holocaust that UPS has inflicted on society. When did this occur? Has society recovered from this holocaust yet? If it did, how did it manage to do it? If it hasn't, what are the plans to make it happen? Sell a lot of t-shirts?
Gee, this is a lot of questions. Only one more. Why am I wasting my time trying to understand your convoluted thinking?

Drooler

S

saintteamo

Drooler, I dealt with and witnessed ups mgmt employee abuse aQND DISHONESTY AS A SHOP STEWARD FOR EIGHT YEARS . sO i KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE FED EX MGRS ARE BETTER HUMAN BEINGS. uPS TOP MGR MANIPULATORS TURN NICE DRIVERS ETC INTO MINDLESS DISHONEST SCUM THROUGH THE CAREFULLY CONCEIVED BRAINWASHING PROGRAM. iT'S FRIGHTENING TO SEE A NICE GUY TURN MGMT ,THEN GO TO TRASINING SCHOOL AND COME BACK WITH EVIL BROWN RUNNING THROUGH HIS VEINS ,A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON THAT FIRST THING STARTS HARRASSING AND DISCIPLINING AN OLD FRIEND AND FORMER CO WORKER.steven King could write a real life horror novel entitled "BRainwashed Brown" with a subtitle "The frightening true story of United Parcel Service"THe economic holocaust is a way of describing what you did to tens of thousands of jobs by reducing the wages in 1982 and keeping them nearly stagnant for starting pay etc for twenty years. This meant that tens of thousaNDS OF MEMBERS OF SOCIETY COULD NO LONGER AFFORD TO BETTER THEMSELVES AND BECOME MORE PRODUCTIVE CITRIZENS BY AFFORDING ON PRE 82 PART TIME PAY ALONE TO PAY FOR COLLEGE TUITION,.BOOKS. A SHARE RENTAL , A USED CAR AND FOOD. yOU DID THIS DESPITE HUGE SOARING PROFITS AND ALMOST A MONOPOLY IN THE SMALL PACKAGE BUSINESS. yOUR GREAT ECONOMY OF SCALE ADVANTAGE EVEN AT FIRST WHEN ENTERING THE OVERNIGHT AIR BUSINESS ALLOWED YOU TO OFFER THE SAME SERVICE AS FED E3X FOR HALF THE PRICE WHILE STILL MAKING A tidy profit. Your commercials theN ridiculed fed ex for having packaging that made thier service cost twicE as much. But for some reason yopu raiSEd the prices to nearly maTCH FED EX MAKE MORE PROFIT PER PACKAGE THAN TRULY COMPETE. yET YOU CRY POVERTY.yOU CLAIM YOU NEED LOW PART TIME WAGES TO COMPETE WITH FED EX ,YET FED EX [PAYS $ 4 PER HR MORE TO START. aLSO FED EX ONLY GETS LES THAN 30% OF THE WEIGHT LIFTED PER HR AS UPS DOES .sO ESSENTIALY YOU GET 8 TO 12 HRS WORTH OF REASONABLE PRODUCTIVITY OUT OF YOUNG NAIVE EMPLOYEES IN LESS THAN 4 HRS TIME . yOU ARE GETTING A BARGAIN COMPARED TO FED EX YET YOU CRY THAT YOU MUST PAY LESS WAGES BECAUSE THE tEAMSTERS FAIL TO ORGAnize fed ex. Well how caN we persuade a FED EX PART TIMER TO GO tEAMSTER WHEN HIS UNION COUNTER PART AT UPS GETS $4 LESS PER HR TO START AND HAS THREE TIMES AS HARD OF WORK?bEFORE YOU REDUCED THE WAGES IT USED TO BE VERY EASY TO GET EMPLOYEES THROGH WORD OF MOUTYH AN D EMPLOYEE REFERALS. lITTLE RECRUITMENT WAS NECEESSARY. iF IT'S SUCH A GREAT DEAL WHY DO YOU HAVE TO RESORT TO SO MUCH MORE EFORT NOW INCLUDING hIGH sCHOOL STUDENTS AND EVEN EMPLOYING JUVENAL HALL DETAINEES AS WELL AS IN NY PICKING PEOPLE OFF STREET CORNERS? wHY DO YOU HAVE SO MUCH TURNOVER IF IT'S SUCH A great deal now? How maNY OF YOUR WELFARE TO WORK PEOPLE STAY TO HAVE A NON WELFARE FUTURE AS A WELL PAID DRIVER? hOW LONG DO YOU WANT THEM TO STAY WHEN IF THEY LEAVE AFTER A MINIMUM PERIOD YOU GET ANOTHER HUGE FREEB=IE PAYMENT OFF THE TAXPAYER FOR HIRING ANOTHER SHORT TERM VICTIM? uSE YOUR BRAIN RATHER THAN THE COMPAnY LINE.pART TIME UPS IS WORSE THAN IT'S EVER BEEN AND THIS CONTRACT MAKES IT EVEN WORSE FOR NEW HIRES AND SOCIETY.yOU SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED TO BE A PArtty to such colsd greed and disregard for social responsibility.

S

saintteamo

drooler and delivery man,

Like it or not saintteamo is for real and not going away. Also people sa=y I have a great sense of humor but Im not kidding about part time poverty here. THrough the activist network and thier personal referals I talk by phone with about two to three new part timers per day. When informed of the 1982 wage reduction ,ups profit history ,economy of scale advantage, higher productivity rates than competitors etc, they all agree with every thing I say. They are wiling to vote no on the contract,wear black on thursdays in protest and mourning for the dead days of full and fair pay rates , put bumper stickers on thier cars or a relatives if they cant afford a car due to exploitation and part time poverty, spread the word about u7ps via word of mouth and write letters to thier High Schools and colleges asking that they ban ups from recruiting until ups once again pays fair wages respecting the only at ups extreme degree of part time work productivity demanded and until ups takes real step s to be within the industry averages for job injuroes etc.Union leaders aLL AGREE WITH ME TOO. Even Chuck Mack on of brother nHOffa's Vice presidents etc bought and wears a "END UPS PART% TIME POVERTY " T shirt.THrough union solidarity and public aWArness that step by step will be implimented on a large scale with simple ,inexpensive ,easy to participate tactics we shall reform the paRT5 BTIME SITUATION AT UPS. in aMERICA THINGS SHOULD GET BETTER FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS RATHER THAN WORSE AS HAS HAPPENED TO PART TIME UPS.

D

dammor

I've been with UPS as a union employee for almost 23 years. Yes it is a tough job, and I have surely wanted to walk out the door more times than I can recall. And yes there are good managers and some extremely bad ones. Trust me when I say I have seen too many to recall. The point here is that I CHOSE to stay and I am much better off for doing so. I had to have cancer treatments not so long ago and guess who footed the bill? That's right, it was big ole mean UPS.
I don't think Burger King would have been so kind. I say it's time to stop all the bickering and get busy doing the job we are getting paid to do.

B

badhab1

Kim, it doesn't mean that people think you have a "great sense of humor" when they call you a joke. I just thought we should clear that up. Have a nice day.

T

thedrooler

saintteamo

Instead of bottom-feeding off the imagined horror of the UPS part timer condition, why don't you start your own company. You could manufacture goods, provide a service of some kind, or whatever interests you. This would allow you to be the benevolent , caring and giving organization you profess to aspire to. You would have an unlimited supply of workers who would flee the oppression of p/t work at UPS to come to your company to make large sums of money, get outstanding benefits, and not have to do any really hard work. They would LOVE you. You would be fabulously wealthy and successful, and you would have the added perk of freeing humanity from the clutches of the monster UPS.

Drooler

S

saintteamo

drooler, thanks for your suggestion about going into business. However at age 19 before coming to ups I first owned the International Herb ExchangE a mail order company,then after profitably selling it to a competitor opened the TuMbleweed Express an amusement arcade. I paid my employees good above the area WAGES AND benifits that were as much as I could afford. In three years not one of my employees ever left. Back to ups . Ups used to pay excellent part time wages ,but no longer does,though it can afford to do so.It's called greed and exploitation. Some mgrs posting know they are decieving workers with the company line. OtherS dont and believe what self serving propaganda they write because the have been carefully brainwashed through long hourS of rote memorization of company policies etc during mgnmmt training school etc. It's commonly called being brown blooded. Now I call it brainwashed brown, Sad ,frightening but truE. But it's very effective to give low level mgrs a psycological crutch to protect them from facing the reality of what they are actuaLLY A PART Y TO. uPS ARE THE MASTERS OF DECIET AND GIVING A POSITIVE TWISTED SELF SERVING SPIN ON WHAT IS NEGATIVE BY CLEAR THINKING AND REASONABLE EXAMINATION. wHICH ARE YOU ,A KNOWING DECIEVER OR A BRAINWASHED PAWN THATS WELL PAID FOR HIS DIRTY WORK?

U

upsdawg

I'm Confused!!!}}---but as I recall when I initially started working for UPS---I knew up front that it was hard work--it was better than average pay and pretty good benefits. I accepted that it was hot in the summer--wearing a brown uniforn--driving a brown truck in 100+ weather----working in the rain---oh well!

So since we are wanting to change the original thought process of when we started--} how about this:
I want air conditioning;CD player; premium pay if it over 100 or below 70 degrees;4 day work week: 1 week vacation for every year worked;a helper on my package car "every" day:8 hour day;a lunch allowance: cell phone: UPS Thermostatically controlled lunch box(stays cold in summer--hot in winter): UPS to pay union dues on my behalf.a 10% raise anually--and as usual, not based on my performance.

I am sure that my list needs to be updated and there may be things that are important to me that I have neglected so I would want to have to flexibility to update it as I deem necessary.

I think that I should not even be concerned about any potential competition, because UPS can just keep increasing the rates to cover any expenses that UPS may bear.

Life is good-----it's great to be an American---but life could be better if the company I work for would just be fair to it's workers!!

R

robonono

Wow, where to start. I'll just say this...

Cheryl, I so miss the "Ignore" button from MF.

Upsdawg, I love your sarcasm! Five stars from me to you. Saintteamo, however, probably agrees with your statements (entirely missing the sarcasm), and would like you to help her print up some T-shirts.

Speaking of saintteamo and T-shirts, I hope that she does her own type setting, and that no one proof reads her work. If so, her jumbled syntax, misspelling, incorrect use of capitals, and horrendous grammar will allow her to gain the respect for her cause that she so richly deserves - NONE.

I'd love to send her a dictionary so that she might look up such words as "poverty" and "holocaust" which have specific meanings, which certainly DO NOT apply to UPS employment. She is obviously clueless.

T

thedrooler

dawg

Saintteamo can fix you right up with those demands you have. Just quit UPS and go to work for Saintteamo's Fantasy Delivery, Herb Garden and Creative Writing Emporium. He will be proud to give you wages and benefits HE FEELS HE CAN
AFFORD.(You'll have to take his word on what he can afford, but I'm sure he won't take advantage of you). He may even toss in a copy of Karl Marx's
autobiography for your reading enjoyment.

Drooler}

S

saintteamo

thedrooler, you seem to be confused. on one hand you imply i would exploit someone in the blue blood rich capitalist fashion that tieguy aka upssup always portrays me as, Then on the other hand you suggest I would distribute literature by Marx.Now in response to my post about deprogramming jar head bob, ir1937 suggests I go into mgmt.Make up your minds,thats if you use them to think rather than just defend the company line by attacking a concerned reformer/activist. Do you think ir1937 understood the moral message that unnerved Jar Head Bob that day . ? Do you understand it clearly and maybe give the possibility that what I write about ups is the raw truth instead of the company line that you guys are carefully brainwashed into accepting hook .,line and sinker/