Blocking Streets

Zowert

What is the worst behavior you’ve seen while on the road?

Much of my route consists of very narrow two way roads where cars are parked on both sides, so there is only enough room for traffic to drive down it one way at a time. I’m constantly having to stop and block the road to make my delivery. Most other cars on the road will see my lights flashing and take the next block over to get wherever they’re going (unless they live on that street).

Today I ran into my first problem doing this, a woman in a Honda Civic raced up the street and stopped about a foot from my front end and hits her horn just as I was shutting my bulkhead door with a few packages in hand. I made eye contact with her and she yells “are you gonna move?!” I smile and hold up a finger as to say ‘one minute’. She must’ve taken it the wrong way because she laid on her horn the ENTIRE time I was delivering. I finish up and hop back in the driver’s seat; buckle up, mirror out, ignition on, break off, flashers off....

She is still sitting there, expecting me to back up or something. Not gonna happen, “Lady I’m not going to back all the way up the block, you’re closer to an intersection than me. Please...”

“friend you! What gives you the right to block traffic!?!”

“Okay we can sit here as long as you’d like ma’am, I’m getting paid by the hour.”
After a few minutes she finally got the clue and backed out of my way. But not after calling me every name in the book and threatening to have me fired.

Has anyone run into any trouble while blocking some self-important jerk’s path?

Last edited:

john chesney

Much of my route consists of very narrow two way roads where cars are parked on both sides, so there is only enough room for traffic to drive down it one way at a time. I’m constantly having to stop and block the road to make my delivery. Most other cars on the road will see my lights flashing and take the next block over to get wherever they’re going (unless they live on that street).

Today I ran into my first problem doing this, a woman in a Honda Civic raced up the street and stopped about a foot from my front end and hits her horn just as I was shutting my bulkhead door with a few packages in hand. I made eye contact with her and she yells “are you gonna move?!” I smile and hold up a finger as to say ‘one minute’. She must’ve taken it the wrong way because she laid on her horn the ENTIRE time I was delivering. I finish up and hop back in the driver’s seat; buckle up, mirror out, ignition on, break off, flashers off....

She is still sitting there, expecting me to back up or something. Not gonna happen, “Lady I’m not going to back all the way up the block, you’re closer to an intersection than me. Please...”

“Okay we can sit here as long as you’d like ma’am, I’m getting paid by the hour.”
After a few minutes she finally got the clue and backed out of my way. But not after calling me every name in the book and threatening to have me fired.

That’s when I clock out and take my lunch

Box Ox

Some people are absolutely miserable and are determined to try and take others down with them. There’s no reasoning with them and it’s just gotta be shrugged off.

It is pretty disconcerting when 99% of people are wonderful, and all of the sudden a 1%er comes out of nowhere and is absolutely vile.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Yep. You just smile at them and respond with, Okay, to whatever they say. Drives them crazy and if they call to complain, so what. You handled that well.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I had an old man yell at me once for blocking a handicapped spot in front of an office building. Mind you, there were 15 open handicapped spots. I just responded with, Okay, to everything he said. He was SO mad. Lol.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I had this happen on a one lane road with 3 houses down it and about 6 inches of snow on the ground.

Lady would not move. She's like I'm retired I got all day. Called a sup to let them know I might get stuck and backing was not my choice.

El Correcto

god is dead
I had this happen on a one lane road with 3 houses down it and about 6 inches of snow on the ground.

Lady would not move. She's like I'm retired I got all day. Called a sup to let them know I might get stuck and backing was not my choice.
I’ll age to death slower and have to go to the restroom less often. Game on B*

The Driver

I drive.
nerd-glasses1.png

Typical response by a redditor: "What makes you think your company's policy can supersede local traffic law?"

Reality: Delivery would cost 3x what it costs now if we had to obey every little traffic law that everyone else has to obey.

Zowert

Some people are absolutely miserable and are determined to try and take others down with them. There’s no reasoning with them and it’s just gotta be shrugged off.

It is pretty disconcerting when 99% of people are wonderful, and all of the sudden a 1%er comes out of nowhere and is absolutely vile.

Right about that. This was my first run in with a crazy person. This far everyone else on and off the road have been super courteous and understanding. I won’t lie though, I wanted put my package car in drive and run over her beat up early 90’s model Civic DX out of spite. Some folks really test a man’s patience.

PT Car Washer

Right about that. This was my first run in with a crazy person. This far everyone else on and off the road have been super courteous and understanding. I won’t lie though, I wanted put my package car in drive and run over her beat up early 90’s model Civic DX out of spite. Some folks really test a man’s patience.
She would probably appreciate UPS buying her a new car if you did.