Blocking Streets

john chesney

If the DIAD let me take my meal early I might’ve done that.

This lady didn’t even live on the street let alone block that I was on. She saw me stopped w/ flashers on and could’ve turned to go down the next road a block over but nope! Just had to go THAT way. Kinda felt like she had a grudge with UPS or something.
Maybe my ex wife?

john chesney

Thanks.

Now I’ve got to find this UPS baiter, lol. I’ve heard of people baiting police for videos, but UPS drivers..?! Good god.
Ya you got to work anymore with the knowledge that you could be on video at all times. I mean I don’t even know how you would dispose of a dead body if you had too

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
.. . I mean I don’t even know how you would dispose of a dead body if you had too
20180501_140817.jpg

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Yepper, narrow one way street all the no parking zone and hydrants are blocked by cars parked illegally, I have 2 options block the road or block a driveway. I block a driveway and 20 cars go by and 1 dbag starts crying about how he needs to get in the driveway, I look at him and say I either block the driveway and you wait 2 minutes or I block the road and block the 20 other drivers and you have to wait longer, I chose blocking you, have a good day

john chesney

Yepper, narrow one way street all the no parking zone and hydrants are blocked by cars parked illegally, I have 2 options block the road or block a driveway. I block a driveway and 20 cars go by and 1 dbag starts crying about how he needs to get in the driveway, I look at him and say I either block the driveway and you wait 2 minutes or I block the road and block the 20 other drivers and you have to wait longer, I chose blocking you, have a good day
I’m dead serious I don’t live that far from Pittsburgh and I have no :censored2:ing clue how you would deliver there. Over 25 years accident free and I sweat when I’m driving my car over there. I look down those sides streets every time I go to Pittsburgh and still to this day have no clue how you can deliver there.

KoennenTiger

What is the worst behavior you’ve seen while on the road?

Much of my route consists of very narrow two way roads where cars are parked on both sides, so there is only enough room for traffic to drive down it one way at a time. I’m constantly having to stop and block the road to make my delivery. Most other cars on the road will see my lights flashing and take the next block over to get wherever they’re going (unless they live on that street).

Today I ran into my first problem doing this, a woman in a Honda Civic raced up the street and stopped about a foot from my front end and hits her horn just as I was shutting my bulkhead door with a few packages in hand. I made eye contact with her and she yells “are you gonna move?!” I smile and hold up a finger as to say ‘one minute’. She must’ve taken it the wrong way because she laid on her horn the ENTIRE time I was delivering. I finish up and hop back in the driver’s seat; buckle up, mirror out, ignition on, break off, flashers off....

She is still sitting there, expecting me to back up or something. Not gonna happen, “Lady I’m not going to back all the way up the block, you’re closer to an intersection than me. Please...”

“friend you! What gives you the right to block traffic!?!”

“Okay we can sit here as long as you’d like ma’am, I’m getting paid by the hour.”
After a few minutes she finally got the clue and backed out of my way. But not after calling me every name in the book and threatening to have me fired.

Has anyone run into any trouble while blocking some self-important jerk’s path?

At some point when I was a cover driver I just learned to tune out the horn honks. Just like I now tune out the ungodly BEEP BEEP BEEP from my flashers. Cant believe how many people honk at the ups guy. Like bitch do you want your Chinese Amazon garbage or not? I have to park somewhere.

Now that I've got a route though what I worry about the most is two intersections where people run red lights like mad. Yesterday I used my methods to clear an intersection and was barely able to slam on my brakes to avoid being slammed into at 40 mph by some ass running a red light.

Now that I'm this far along I'm very very glad that as a new driver I went out of my way to build good habits. 99.9% of the time it feels like wasted time. But that one incredibly rare time I avoid an accident and potential serious injury? Worth it.