Blocking Streets

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I just had a rude old biddy chastise me for being in her driveway. “This is MY driveway and you need to hurry up! I want to park there”. I closed the window as I pulled out so she wouldn’t say anything else. Lol. I honestly didn’t know it was her driveway. I thought it belonged to the house I was delivering to.

Zowert

Did you ask him if he is a law enforcement officer?
...and what his badge number is?

No. I should’ve though. The audacity of some people is unnerving. I was stopped at a traffic light when this large woman walked up along the right side my package car from the sidewalk. She grabbed the railing, put one foot on the bottom step and leaned into the cab to let me know, “What you’re doing is illegal!”

I looked at her confused as hell, “I’m sorry..?”

“You can’t be driving around with that door open,” she pointed to the driver side. “This door over here can be open but you need to close that one.”

Then she stared at me for a moment, I think she was expecting me to close the driver’s side door. I didn’t. The light turned green but she still had her foot and arm in my cab. So I just said, “okay thanks gotta go!”

...and that was it. She left and I waited for the vehicle in front of me to start moving before I looked left, right, left and counted 1-2-3.. I didn’t say anything to her for overstepping her boundaries because at the time she came off to me as being mentally ill. But now I realize she was just one of those people that likes to tell others what to do and usually gets her way.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
At some point when I was a cover driver I just learned to tune out the horn honks. Just like I now tune out the ungodly BEEP BEEP BEEP from my flashers. Cant believe how many people honk at the ups guy. Like bitch do you want your Chinese Amazon garbage or not? I have to park somewhere.

Now that I've got a route though what I worry about the most is two intersections where people run red lights like mad. Yesterday I used my methods to clear an intersection and was barely able to slam on my brakes to avoid being slammed into at 40 mph by some ass running a red light.

Now that I'm this far along I'm very very glad that as a new driver I went out of my way to build good habits. 99.9% of the time it feels like wasted time. But that one incredibly rare time I avoid an accident and potential serious injury? Worth it.

The 5 Seeing Habits are great (that's because UPS didn't come up with them). I still use them to this day because they actually make sense. The rest of that crap they want you to memorize is garbage for the most part because you can't have lightning speed like they want and work safe at the same time. It's one or the other.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I usually always leave a lane for traffic to get around me, but tonight at 7:30 frickin pm I was on a residential block in a slower area of town where traffic usually isn't bad at all. Well there was literally no where to park on the entire block so I said screw it and parked in the middle of the road, threw the flashers on, and went to deliver some ladies 4 amazon boxes...

Come back to the truck after maybe 25 seconds and 3 cars are lined up, 2 in front of me and 1 behind me. All I could do was point randomly at the lack of parking and just shrug. Surprisingly no one honked or even got mad at me.

Zowert

I usually always leave a lane for traffic to get around me, but tonight at 7:30 frickin pm I was on a residential block in a slower area of town where traffic usually isn't bad at all. Well there was literally no where to park on the entire block so I said screw it and parked in the middle of the road, threw the flashers on, and went to deliver some ladies 4 amazon boxes...

Come back to the truck after maybe 25 seconds and 3 cars are lined up, 2 in front of me and 1 behind me. All I could do was point randomly at the lack of parking and just shrug. Surprisingly no one honked or even got mad at me.

This is usually the case for me, people will wait understandingly. However, once in a while there will be someone that doesn’t care and they’ll voice their opinion by honking and hand gestures. The occasional “what gives you the right to block traffic? You’re not a school bus!” Ignoring them seems to piss them off but it’s the only way to deal with them.