Bonus Babies: You are ruining UPS!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
No, he is correct, if you work at all in a week your health care is paid for the week, on the same token if you are "laid off" for a week and put in no time you have no health care for that week. That does not include vacation time as the healt and welfare and pension are included in the vacation package.
That's not how it works here, and I'm pretty sure that's not how it works in most places. Yes, if you work at all during a week the company will contribute a set amount towards your health benefits. But you have to actually work a certain amount of hours to maintain your own coverage. In my local if you work less than 140 hours in a month (computed quarterly) you have to send them a check to make up the difference or your coverage will lapse until the next quarter even if you worked at least one day every week.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
That's not how it works here, and I'm pretty sure that's not how it works in most places. Yes, if you work at all during a week the company will contribute a set amount towards your health benefits. But you have to actually work a certain amount of hours to maintain your own coverage. In my local if you work less than 140 hours in a month (computed quarterly) you have to send them a check to make up the difference or your coverage will lapse until the next quarter even if you worked at least one day every week.

Not so here, your franchise sucks too!!!

satellitedriver

Bonus center here,
but one can rarely run bonus any more after our last time study.
I personally lost 2hrs per day, after the study.
For the last 20yrs, I averaged 5hrs of OT and 4hrs bonus each week, on every route I ran.
-(and I did it without running and skipping lunch, just methods)-
Now, I average 10 to 13hrs OT and 0 to 1hr bonus each week and I have increased my SPORH.
The math is simple.
I am being paid over an extra $300 a week in OT, needlessly, for someones concept of saving money and increasing production.
On the bright side, that is an extra $300 a week that I put in the bank.
All I have to do is physically and mentally last another 18 months and I will have over 20g's extra when I turn in my keys.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
jonesy don't you have a cap on hours anyway?
Not in 639, at least not currently. All hours worked count.

personally I always thou0ght an hour lunch was such a long time. I think those locals that negotiated the option to take 30 minutes had it right.
I agree on that, I would rather have a 30 minute lunch and get home 30 minutes sooner. But it is what it is.

SWORDFISH

Bonus is paid at straight time here as well so I make alot more money than those guys every year.

Bigarrow, if you can get those boys to slow down let me know how you did it. They arent using their brains IMO. You know something funny is that because I wont go faster on fridays and they know that I get a lighter load while others get heavier loads. The runners do screw it up for everyone unless they have their own route then let them run themselves into the ground. As far as Im concerned that dont screw it up anymore than people that dont stand up for the contract.

The cap hours I believe for benys is 2080 or something like that. Our checks dont have a break down of actual hours worked and bonus hours so Im unsure on that one. The stub for each week will tell you how much you bonus for the week but no running total. :peaceful:

Braveheart

be careful arrow that your obsession with slowing the system down does not get you unwanted attention.

Well the runners will get all the attention they need when they have an avoidable accident.

They will also get all the medical attention down the road as their knees, ankles and back give out.

I have seen it too often. Run Run Run your body into the ground.

Too many drivers learning the hard way with surgeries and are never the same.

I see them having trouble just getting in and out of the package car.

We are industrial athletes. How many pro athletes have 25-30 year careers?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not so, your health care is paid, but your retirement benefits are based upon hours worked for the year. And no the guaranteed hrs do not count towards it, only actual hours worked. That is exactly why they changed the paystubs to break it down.

Thank you.

The driver I spoke of has a $10K/yr part time job as the youth sports director for his hometown.

klein

Für Meno :)
The other point is, they are also ruining the/thier pension plan.
The less drivers/workers you have, less gets paid into the pension plan.
OT doesn't even constribute more into the fund.

The basics of a pension fund is for the company to grow, and hire more workers, and this keeps the pensions intact.
But, if the company grows with the same amount of workers, or worse, less workers, then the pension plan fails.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I have only seen bonus before eight hours is straight and after eight it is time and a half. Bonus hours don't count towards total hours worked. At least that is how it has worked for me. I used to be a bonus driver before top rate but now I am close to a +.30 driver and feel better about my day and the job I perform.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have only seen bonus before eight hours is straight and after eight it is time and a half. Bonus hours don't count towards total hours worked. At least that is how it has worked for me. I used to be a bonus driver before top rate but now I am close to a +.30 driver and feel better about my day and the job I perform.

Do not take this personal as that is not my intent but do you feel that your customers are receiving better service now that your focus is not solely on your paycheck?

satellitedriver

I posted it somewhere about GM pension. Was a nice pic... showing how many workers GM has, and how many retirees.
1 worker for 7 receiving pension or close to that number.
You tell me how that works.

The GM thing has nothing to do with what you posted.
You posted;
But, if the company grows with the same amount of workers, or worse, less workers, then the pension plan fails.
If the company grows that means it can maintain its obligations. Once a person is retired the onus is upon the managers of the retirement fund to manager returns on money invested over the lifetime of the employee.
If payouts are only determined by incoming new money, then it is a Ponsie scheme not a retirement actuarial account.