Bonus centers?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It is driver discretion
Even if I have a package which does not require a signature, and a good place to dr it, and I dont know or trust the location, it will be a ni1.
Especially if it looks like it could be over 100$ Most days I have none, but until I know the people, I get a sig on anything that looks like it could be stereo, video, or camera equipment, or jewelry. Or if there are just too many people milling around watching. Alot has to do with the neighborhood, but since it comes down on me, I was trained to use my judgement and as of yet, that has not been taken away.

satellitedriver

It is driver discretion
Even if I have a package which does not require a signature, and a good place to dr it, and I dont know or trust the location, it will be a ni1.
Especially if it looks like it could be over 100$ Most days I have none, but until I know the people, I get a sig on anything that looks like it could be stereo, video, or camera equipment, or jewelry. Or if there are just too many people milling around watching. Alot has to do with the neighborhood, but since it comes down on me, I was trained to use my judgement and as of yet, that has not been taken away.
I agree.
Driver discretion is paramount. You will be asked why you have send agains, but you will not have to do follow ups and explain why someone did not get their pkg.

rocket88

oops! I misspelled "Mac"s" name. It's Ian McLagan. For anyone who might be interested in "googleing" him. Good stuff. Check out his site.

trickpony1

You are not following methods when you get a signature at a residential stop when a signature is not required.

.....those "methods" aren't going to pay for that package when the driver gets the blame for a claim because the package got "stolen".

I agree with Tooner.....use good judgement.

ups_vette

.....those "methods" aren't going to pay for that package when the driver gets the blame for a claim because the package got "stolen".

I agree with Tooner.....use good judgement.

.....those "methods" aren't going to pay the driver when the driver is fired for "failure to follow instructions"

ups79

But you don't understand, as long as you do it by methods you won't be blamed. Quite simple, out of site and out of weather, you are covered.

trickpony1

But you don't understand, as long as you do it by methods you won't be blamed. Quite simple, out of site and out of weather, you are covered.

....but I do understand.
When the package "disappears" because someone saw the driver "out of sight, out of weather" a camera, stereo....whatever, then the driver has to PROVE he followed the methods.
By getting a third party's signature for suspected high value packages that the driver doesn't want to end up paying for when they "disappear" there is substantial proof of delivery.
We can argue this point all day. The driver has a right to defend himself just like management has the right to say ".......oh, but driver.....you must have not done something right or the package wouldn't have "disappeared".

These "methods" that management pull out of their lower extremities when it suits their purpose or they want to nail a driver for "failure to follow instructions" are rather weak.

ups79

By third party do you mean the person who is at the house who the driver walks up to and to the house that the pkg. is addressed to.

trickpony1

By third party do you mean the person who is at the house who the driver walks up to and to the house that the pkg. is addressed to.

That is correct.

It's difficult to argue with a signature by a real human being (the customer). It's even more viable when the person just opened the front door when you rang the bell and wasn't some seedy looking person sitting on the front porch smoking crack.

Some of these posters who have blind faith in all things brown have, apparently, never been on the receiving end of some of the nonsense that management is capable of.
I could tell you some stories that would knock you out of your swivel chair but then I would be perceived as "negative" instead of "realistic". :ohmy:

ups79

I believe you are negative about everything concerning your employer. Do you actually feel as though UPS is always out to get you?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
UPS 79, I have been working as directed. I have been told to use my judgement. Cause it is good judgement.
" But you don't understand, as long as you do it by methods you won't be blamed. Quite simple, out of site and out of weather, you are covered."

I believe there is something about SAFE and secure, out of weather, and out of sight of public, in there somewhere. And I will be blamed.

Most of the places I dr to I dont want to go to the first time, much go back for a second try, so I will leave it if at all safe.
And other drivers in my loop have been known to leave a pkg, and have a kid go steal it and run him down and take it back. That would not be me. Its just that bad. Actually it was all a sig area, until they decided production was more important, and I know that is too. But if I am delivering and there is a group of kids watching me, after school, or anytime since there is a 50 % drop out rate here. Im not leaving it. I would have follow ups daily. And I have even gotten sigs, and they deny them. They have maxxed out some bogus credit card, and dont want to admit they got it. Ive handed a stereo system to a guy and having him deny he ever got it when I described him to the tee, we talked about the weather, etc, have a nice day and all that and the NEXT DAY he called and said it was not him. So WWups79 do?
I will never lose my job for not following directions, I am following directions, and methods.

Last edited:

satellitedriver

.....those "methods" aren't going to pay the driver when the driver is fired for "failure to follow instructions"
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Release it and it comes up missing you may be asked to pay for it. You refuse to pay and you can be terminated. Do not release it and you could be terminated for not following methods. Hell of a catch 22.
I have never had to deal with either of these problems. If it is not a safe place to leave it I don't and I can justify my actions when questioned.
When was the last driver fired for not leaving a package at an unsafe location?
It is part of the methods and instructions that I was taught to make sure that the package was secure in its delivery.
IMHO, you would have to have a bad relationship with your management team to be called in for that.

Channahon

These "methods" that management pull out of their lower extremities when it suits their purpose or they want to nail a driver for "failure to follow instructions" are rather weak

A yearly driver release certification is required to be done by the center team with a roster to Security, who are involved with claims and driver release areas.

The contract also states that a driver is disciplined by either a warning letter or paying for a package, but not both. So how many warning letters would a driver receive before they pay for a package?

The methods are the methods, and they work and I have done rides with drivers, who had the best methods in the world, smooth in their routine, know their areas and don't miss a beat all day long.

And if you don't think management is held accountable to train on those methods, don't kid yourselves, they are everywhere, package, hub and feeders.

The methods are similiar to anything else you do in your life. You have methods when you drive your personal car, you just may not realize it. Call it methods, call it routine, it's all structure in how you live your life.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Im not going to beat the point to death, I KNOW on the driver certification I was suppose to sign it says something about articles of clearly high value, or something to that wording, I have a copy of my dr cert around here somewhere, if I find it Ill type it word for word. To get a sig even if not required on the package and unless I am hallucinating, it says use discretion, which would be a really silly thing not to have. Now if it is someone I know, and I have a good hiding place, I do that and leave a note also where the note cant be seen from the road. And I spend more time than I should leaving notes about where I hide them. And sometimes people just arent smart enough to read their notes, such as the square that says sign on back for delivery, or your package is at Snookys house, for an indirect delivery. They will pull me over and ask if I tried to deliver. I only had one send again today, so its not a big problem, but it wasnt something I was willing to get a letter or pay for. Ive only had two letters, both silly, in 22+ yrs, so I also must be doing something right.
I never said the methods were inadequate. I just said what I was instructed to do. It may not be the same everywhere, as I see many things at UPS are not. But in the high crime, high theft, area I deliver in thats what I am expected to do. You can buy alot of crack with your neighbors pkgs I would bet.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm glad I have only 20 DR's a day and mostly in the country. Too much stress dealing with the bad element in some areas.

Last edited: