Boring in here tonight!

newfie

Trumps action as President have damaged America's ability to conduct foreign policy worse than anything anyone could do anyway

Total democratic talking point nonsense. If your alleged impeachment inquiry is legitimate then conduct domestic policy according to the Constitution and hold a formal vote in the house to start the impeachment investigation. Until then your people keep breaking the rules as they investigate alleged rule breaking.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Total democratic talking point nonsense. If your alleged impeachment inquiry is legitimate then conduct domestic policy according to the Constitution and hold a formal vote in the house to start the impeachment investigation. Until then your people keep breaking the rules as they investigate alleged rule breaking.
Until they vote in the House to begin an Impeachment Inquiry, no one can be compelled to testify before the House.

oldngray

nowhere special
Until they vote in the House to begin an Impeachment Inquiry, no one can be compelled to testify before the House.
Trump sand.jpg

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Impeachment in the United States - Wikipedia

"When the Supreme Court has considered similar issues, it held that the power to secure "needed information ... has long been treated as an attribute of the power to legislate. ... [The power to investigate is deeply rooted in the nation's history:] It was so regarded in the British Parliament and in the colonial Legislatures before the American Revolution, and a like view has prevailed and been carried into effect in both houses of Congress and in most of the state Legislatures." McGrain v. Daugherty, 273 U.S. 135, 161 (1927). The Supreme Court also held, "There can be no doubt as to the power of Congress, by itself or through its committees, to investigate matters and conditions relating to contemplated legislation." Quinn v. United States, 349 U.S. 155, 160 (1955).

The Supreme Court has also explained that Congress has not only the power, but the duty, to investigate so it can inform the public of the operations of government:

It is the proper duty of a representative body to look diligently into every affair of government and to talk much about what it sees. It is meant to be the eyes and the voice, and to embody the wisdom and will of its constituents. Unless Congress have and use every means of acquainting itself with the acts and the disposition of the administrative agents of the government, the country must be helpless to learn how it is being served; and unless Congress both scrutinize these things and sift them by every form of discussion, the country must remain in embarrassing, crippling ignorance of the very affairs which it is most important that it should understand and direct. The informing function of Congress should be preferred even to its legislative function.[23]"

Why do you fear Congress doing their duty by investigating the Executive branch?
Too much power has been ceded to the Executive branch, not just with Trump but with others as well ( yes Obama too).
Its time as a country to curb some of that power.
Thanks for the excuse Trump

El Correcto

god is dead
Impeachment in the United States - Wikipedia

"When the Supreme Court has considered similar issues, it held that the power to secure "needed information ... has long been treated as an attribute of the power to legislate. ... [The power to investigate is deeply rooted in the nation's history:] It was so regarded in the British Parliament and in the colonial Legislatures before the American Revolution, and a like view has prevailed and been carried into effect in both houses of Congress and in most of the state Legislatures." McGrain v. Daugherty, 273 U.S. 135, 161 (1927). The Supreme Court also held, "There can be no doubt as to the power of Congress, by itself or through its committees, to investigate matters and conditions relating to contemplated legislation." Quinn v. United States, 349 U.S. 155, 160 (1955).

The Supreme Court has also explained that Congress has not only the power, but the duty, to investigate so it can inform the public of the operations of government:

It is the proper duty of a representative body to look diligently into every affair of government and to talk much about what it sees. It is meant to be the eyes and the voice, and to embody the wisdom and will of its constituents. Unless Congress have and use every means of acquainting itself with the acts and the disposition of the administrative agents of the government, the country must be helpless to learn how it is being served; and unless Congress both scrutinize these things and sift them by every form of discussion, the country must remain in embarrassing, crippling ignorance of the very affairs which it is most important that it should understand and direct. The informing function of Congress should be preferred even to its legislative function.[23]"

Why do you fear Congress doing their duty by investigating the Executive branch?
Too much power has been ceded to the Executive branch, not just with Trump but with others as well ( yes Obama too).
Its time as a country to curb some of that power.
Thanks for the excuse Trump
For Clinton and Nixon they held a vote to begin impeachment inquiries. They didn’t do that. It’s not a law as far as I know; it’s just them not wanting to put democrats in purple states on record for this.

BrownArmy

For Clinton and Nixon they held a vote to begin impeachment inquiries. They didn’t do that. It’s not a law as far as I know; it’s just them not wanting to put democrats in purple states on record for this.

Wrong, again.

This is an ‘Impeachment Inquiry’.

That’s Demo-Bot speech for, we’re just not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, thanks.

Tactically, this makes sense.

On a normal day, this Administration stonewalls Congress repeatedly.

(Nadler and Lewandumfkski?)

(You do realize that Congress and the Executive Branch are co-equal, right?)

By laying out a case, and giving Pompeo, Giuliani, and Barr a chance to participate before an actual Impeachment vote in the House, Demo-bots are moving toward a situation where they can say:

“Sht, we tried, now our only option is actual full-on IMPEACHMENT...”

Wherein the rules change significantly.

Is it a good strategy?

I think it's the only strategy Dems have at this point.

There are risks and rewards on both sides at this point.

Start making popcorn...

El Correcto

god is dead
Wrong, again.

This is an ‘Impeachment Inquiry’.

That’s Demo-Bot speech for, we’re just not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, thanks.

Tactically, this makes sense.

On a normal day, this Administration stonewalls Congress repeatedly.

(Nadler and Lewandumfkski?)

(You do realize that Congress and the Executive Branch are co-equal, right?)

By laying out a case, and giving Pompeo, Giuliani, and Barr a chance to participate before an actual Impeachment vote in the House, Demo-bots are moving toward a situation where they can say:

“Sht, we tried, now our only option is actual full-on IMPEACHMENT...”

Wherein the rules change significantly.

Is it a good strategy?

I think it's the only strategy Dems have at this point.

There are risks and rewards on both sides at this point.

Start making popcorn...
Actually I’m correct. They voted to start an impeachment inquiry into Clinton and Nixon.

BrownArmy

Actually I’m correct. They voted to start an impeachment inquiry into Clinton and Nixon.

No, you’re still wrong.

It’s cute though, you tried to do research.

Listen, nothing happens until there’s a formal vote to start Impeachment in the House.

The House has been playing ‘Impeachment’ for months.

Pelosi’s statement that she was starting an ‘Impeachment Inquiry’ was essentially meaningless, but it stirred the press up.

It’s not real until the House takes an actual vote.

El Correcto

god is dead
No, you’re still wrong.

Listen, nothing happens until there’s a formal vote to start Impeachment in the House.

Pelosi’s statement that she was starting an ‘Impeachment Inquiry’ was essentially meaningless, but it stirred the press up.

No they declared impeachment inquiries. They didn’t vote to start inquiries, like with Nixon and Clinton.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
No, you’re still wrong.

OK boys.
Sounds like y'all are in violent agreement!

I think we can all agree that ‘Impeachment Inquiry’ is not real until the House takes an actual vote.

El Correcto

god is dead
OK boys.
Sounds like y'all are in violent agreement!

I think we can all agree that ‘Impeachment Inquiry’ is not real until the House takes an actual vote.
I don’t think the house has to vote to do it.

It’s just a formal thing, something that has been done in the past. Not an actual law. I think.

El Correcto

god is dead
I think they usually hold votes on it to try to get people from the president’s party to jump ship or go on record defending the crook.

BrownArmy

I don’t think the house has to vote to do it.

It’s just a formal thing, something that has been done in the past. Not an actual law. I think.

You know what, I was wrong, you’re correct.

Nancy stating that they were launching an ‘Impeachment Inquiry’ is actually a legal step necessary before the House could vote on Articles of Impeachment.

My bad.

El Correcto

god is dead
You know what, I was wrong, you’re correct.

Nancy stating that they were launching an ‘Impeachment Inquiry’ is actually a legal step necessary before the House could vote on Articles of Impeachment.

My bad.
It’s not even a legal step and it’s not even inline with how it was done in modern history.

They usually hold a vote like I said. I don’t believe it’s a legal process just a political move to get the president’s party on record defending them.