Bragging About Your Wages On Social Media Is Just Dumb!

Whereistheunion

Real smart.

National story on MSN shows UPS drivers on Tik Tok and other social media bragging about making
$40 an hour and "the beauty of it , nobody knows"

how stupid can you be???

You just handed management a TANK of ammunition in
2023 negotiations.
To ADD to your story, this is the fastest way to lose your help ( the guy that has the cart ready) the person that stands outside the truck as you hand them pkgs. The pickup pieces neatly stacked on a (cart) and ready for you to take. JUST SHEER STUPIDITY 🤨

Gone fishin

Fat UPS drivers struggle

We call it pouring concrete…not laying it

Have you ever delivered for UPS or poured concrete?
Concrete yes , try delivering 1000-1200 cases of coke a day. Back when we drank bottles, each case weighed 67 pounds. No power Jack and skids with merchandisers. That job wasn’t for many

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Can't steal any ones work when they don't show up to work.

If you're knocking down 80k a year as a PT'er.... something major is wrong.

Our management team said the same thing about PVDs. Still got them.

You are lucky to have a skilled negotiator. Other BAs have the backbone of a dishrag.

Being elected is only a 3 year term for Local Union officials.

Just say'n.... my fellow pre-82 "red circled" brother.

;)

Trucker Clock

After the 30 days..

The driver learns to put a COD in an envelope and scan it.

The driver learns that pm dispatch is a real thing.

The driver learns how to pull out of the building without tearing up a truck, trust me that hasn’t automatically happened.

The driver learns to put your seatbelt over your steering wheel to save your shoulder.

The driver is learning to throw hazmat papers out of slot.

The driver learns that on some trucks the last number of trucks open extra key slot.

And on and on. Just be fair.

Yes, I agree. There is more than what I listed. The point is that a UPS driver learned everything within the first 30 days. It’s not hard. After that, they just get a little faster doing the job

A Tradesman is still learning years into the job.

Trucker Clock

Why couldn’t someone learn those jobs? The people that went into those trades were not the brightest kids I went to school with.

They went to college and became doctors and lawyers

Most plumbers and electricians I know couldn’t physically handle a day delivering for UPS.

Yes, UPS could be physical. But you need to be able to learn a certain skill set to be a Tradesman. Not everyone can do that. Anyone can be a UPS driver. It is not even that physical if done right. Look at all the fat package car drivers.

Trucker Clock

Missing anything??? Driving in ice and snow

People learned how to drive in ice and snow in their personal vehicles. Yes, a little different in a package car, but not much. The same principles apply. Slow down, easy on the brakes, increase following distance and when all else fails, proper skid control.

People learned how to drive in ice and snow in their personal vehicles. Yes, a little different in a package car, but not much. The same principles apply. Slow down, easy on the brakes, increase following distance and when all else fails, proper skid control.
Look at how people drive the cars.
They drive horribly.
Most of the people you see on the road you would not want to see them behind the wheel of a package

Re-Raise

Yes, UPS could be physical. But you need to be able to learn a certain skill set to be a Tradesman. Not everyone can do that. Anyone can be a UPS driver. It is not even that physical if done right. Look at all the fat package car drivers.
I don’t look down on tradesman. They might not have the “book smarts” to attend college, but I respect anyone that learns a craft that is in demand.

Having said that, I think UPS drivers earn their money because of the pace that they perform
their jobs on a daily basis.

We accomplish more in a day than most other delivery drivers. I have had a couple of homes built, and plumbers and electricians are in no hurry!

Trucker Clock

I don’t look down on tradesman. They might not have the “book smarts” to attend college, but I respect anyone that learns a craft that is in demand.

Having said that, I think UPS drivers earn their money because of the pace that they perform

We accomplish more in a day than most other delivery drivers. I have had a couple of homes built, and plumbers and electricians are in no hurry!

I agree. We earn our money. But it is not rocket science to do our job.

We earn it through time pressure, physical exertion, long hours and harassment.

A tradesman needs skill.

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant

Working fast and hard does not mean it’s skilled labor. I’m a new and lowly preloader but I imagine there’s some skill involved to become a competent driver, just nowhere near the degree of someone in the trades.

Hell I worked for the USFS before this as a wildland firefighter and that takes more skill than driving I would assume and it’s still classified as “unskilled” since the entry level is so low.