Bragging About Your Wages On Social Media Is Just Dumb!

Trucker Clock

I can watch a couple YouTube videos and figure it out.

Hilarious.gif

ThePackageDeli

The UPS package driving job is maybe most comparable to a lawn care landscaping job in terms of skill required, exposure to the elements, hours worked, and even pay - (for independent outfits). Some lawncare people are making way more than us.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
The UPS package driving job is maybe most comparable to a lawn care landscaping job in terms of skill required, exposure to the elements, hours worked, and even pay - (for independent outfits). Some lawncare people are making way more than us.
Yea for some reason people set the bar as a cashier at McDonalds for comparison.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the business owners in lawncare do. they don't call it Lawn Care anymore. It's called Landscaping and Defensible Space Engineers.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Back in the day part time supervisors had to qualify within 30 days on a training route in order to become full time. They had to eliminate that requirement because most of the part time female supervisors did not run scratch in those 30 days.

Bottom line is there is no difference between an hourly and a management employee, it is just one does not want to do manual labor and the other doesn’t mind. Neither one requires you to be a “🚀 scientist”...

Zowert

Along with videos on how to become a Corporate Executive...👍
I learned how to work on my pick-up truck by watching YouTube videos. I started with a basic tune-up and eventually learned enough to swap the transmission on my own. Ive done some plumbing and electrical work in my own house, all learned from YouTube lol! I’m not a master tradesman but it is possible to learn these skills outside of trade school, it just takes more time. Seriously, it’s not rocket science or neurosurgery.

Last edited:

Trucker Clock

I learned how to work on my pick-up truck by watching YouTube videos. I started with a basic tune-up and eventually learned enough to swap the transmission on my own. Ive done some plumbing and electrical work in my own house, all learned from YouTube lol! I’m not master tradesman but it is possible to learn these skills outside of trade school, it just takes more time. Seriously, it’s not rocket science or neurosurgery.

Sounds like you could be a Tradesman.

Not everyone can watch YouTube and learn, and do it themselves. Learn how to do everything the job entails, without watching YouTube every time a repair came up.

After watching YouTube, you can do basic electrical, plumbing and car repair. Do you know all the codes that are relevant? Can you fix anything on a car? Can you do all electrical, to code? Plumbing? Without watching YouTube again.

But, that's not the point. You can do it, but not everyone can.

Anyone who can drive can be a driver. And, after a few days of training, they basically know everything the job entails. They just work on methods to increase speed.

I wouldn't doubt that they can train a monkey to do the job in a week.

Zowert

Sounds like you could be a Tradesman.

Not everyone can watch YouTube and learn, and do it themselves. Learn how to do everything the job entails, without watching YouTube every time a repair came up.

After watching YouTube, you can do basic electrical, plumbing and car repair. Do you know all the codes that are relevant? Can you fix anything on a car? Can you do all electrical, to code? Plumbing? Without watching YouTube again.

But, that's not the point. You can do it, but not everyone can.

Anyone who can drive can be a driver. And, after a few days of training, they basically know everything the job entails. They just work on methods to increase speed.

I wouldn't doubt that they can train a monkey to do the job in a week.
Well, I do hold two BA’s (education and social studies). Perhaps that helps my ability to pick up new skills by watching instructional videos. As far as automotive mechanics, I definitely can work on my truck and my wife’s car without help. Electrical work, probably not. Simple things like installing a ceiling fan, outlets, etc. I can do.

Plumbing, I had Home Depot deliver a dishwasher then I figured everything out on my own. Not gonna lie, it wasn’t easy, especially since we never had a dishwasher, so there was nothing to work with. I couldn’t do it again without watching YouTube. However, if I were to do that kind of work continuously then I would be able to.

A lot of old time tradesman (plumbers, electricians, carpenters) picked up their skills by learning from their father, relative or friend. I’m not saying it’s easy but it has been accomplished for generations.

Its_a_me

Yea for some reason people set the bar as a cashier at McDonalds for comparison.
Because that is the bar the union set for PT employees (which are the most numerous at the company) in the last contract. Best contract ever...And go ahead talk about all the benefits that a healthy 18 year old gets from UPS that they don't already from their parents insurance coverage. Or the pension they don't qualify (unless they are on the West Rider).

Is it smart to brag about wages...it all depends upon whom the audience was...but I do agree they foolhearted attempt to enrage the public seems like a management technique at swaying public opinion. There will be more. Along with crying poverty. The next contract is going to be an ugly negotiation...if not we are not getting our money's worth on our dues.

Expect more Tome publicity stunts that show how management/even the dumbest people in the world can do the job so be happy with what you got.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Well, I do hold two BA’s (education and social studies). Perhaps that helps my ability to pick up new skills by watching instructional videos. As far as automotive mechanics, I definitely can work on my truck and my wife’s car without help. Electrical work, probably not. Simple things like installing a ceiling fan, outlets, etc. I can do.

Plumbing, I had Home Depot deliver a dishwasher then I figured everything out on my own. Not gonna lie, it wasn’t easy, especially since we never had a dishwasher, so there was nothing to work with. I couldn’t do it again without watching YouTube. However, if I were to do that kind of work continuously then I would be able to.

A lot of old time tradesman (plumbers, electricians, carpenters) picked up their skills by learning from their father, relative or friend. I’m not saying it’s easy but it has been accomplished for generations.

So like most of us you are not a unskilled truck driver with a high school equivalent.

If only the high and mighty could understand that concept..

I guess they have to justify their salaries by belittling their (help).