Breaking senior drivers

Est.1998

I thought it was “Isnt life grand”
the and looks like an eight at first but you're right!
1649764527209.png

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I am a delivery driver with nearly 30 years of service and wonder everyday how I am going to make it to the finish line. I worked with guys that stole time from this company for years and it was wrong. Todays technology eliminates that and that’s a good thing. However, when I learned my route years ago I averaged around 115 stops a day. I did the job and got off the clock. Now it’s more like 145 a day. These 30, 40, even 50 more stops a day are brutal on someone that has nearly 30 years of service and wear and tear on their body. I am at the point where I regret staying here and would not recommend this job to anyone. I could have been a lot healthier and happier making less money somewhere else.
We used to do a little more indirect's too back in the day. No more. Less work to do a few more stops.

Hitting the gym is the secret to UPS longevity if you ask me.

Older guys being harrased always have the age discrimination card if needed.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Why would you have to sit in a rocking chair at 50 ?
There’s a whole world out there to see
Couldnt agree more!
Retired January 2021 took a road trip.
June 2021- cruised Iceland
October 2021- Bahamas Caribbean Cruise
December 2021- Caribbean Christmas Cruise
January 2022-week in Vegas
March 2022- Cruise to Key West and Cozumel
April 2022-leaving tonight for paris. We will be taking a Viking River Cruise of Normandy.

Whos got time to WORK???

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Man I agree with you on that one, unfortunately we had a driver who had a ride along with a member of management who instructed him to use the driver side door, he refused and was taken out of service. We went to the panel and it was upheld, he was given a suspension for all time served and told to use the driver side door with three points of contact. SMH terrible decision IMO.
Taken out of service… Because the ORS couldn’t be bothered to shift his large presence and allow egress? Yeah I’m glad I don’t work here anymore

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Man I agree with you on that one, unfortunately we had a driver who had a ride along with a member of management who instructed him to use the driver side door, he refused and was taken out of service. We went to the panel and it was upheld, he was given a suspension for all time served and told to use the driver side door with three points of contact. SMH terrible decision IMO.
So can you now be disciplined for using the driver's door?
ezgif-4-daacd987d2eb.gif

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

So can you now be disciplined for using the driver's door?
Never happened again so I don’t know. sometimes the panel can be as clear as mud, it was a little unclear what they wanted, the reason for the termination being turned into a suspension all time served with no backpay , And being upheld was mostly because he refused to work as directed. something about it was not unsafe to go out the driver side door, as long as you had three points of contact. I don’t necessarily disagree with that but I also believe that risk should be up to the driver based on conditions like traffic and weather and what type of truck you’re driving.

quad decade guy

Never happened again so I don’t know. sometimes the panel can be as clear as mud, it was a little unclear what they wanted, the reason for the termination being turned into a suspension all time served with no backpay , And being upheld was mostly because he refused to work as directed. something about it was not unsafe to go out the driver side door, as long as you had three points of contact. I don’t necessarily disagree with that but I also believe that risk should be up to the driver based on conditions like traffic and weather and what type of truck you’re driving.
Again, we don't have all the story. What exactly was said and how? Nothing wrong with exiting the driver door. There could be many circumstances to do so....such as going to the back for a bulk stop. But walking around to enter the pas. door seems odd or hard to imagine getting pkgs then exiting the driver dr. Working around the seat pedestal or God forbid being instructed to hold them while exiting..... I wasn't there.

It is easy to imagine being instructed by ORS's with no experience or such. Or the type people they promote and the personalities who promoted them.....

More worrisome is the Union folks agreeing with the company.

Now, if the driver considered the instruction to be unsafe.....unless you were right there and then......months later.....determine exactly what happened.

I know many, many deliberately obstinate people at UPS(including MGT.). Stupid people. Lazy people. Contrary people. Odd people. Folks devoid of common sense. Especially punitive and hateful people....people driven by upper mgt. to do really stupid things.

Thebrownblob

Again, we don't have all the story. What exactly was said and how? Nothing wrong with exiting the driver door. There could be many circumstances to do so....such as going to the back for a bulk stop. But walking around to enter the pas. door seems odd or hard to imagine getting pkgs then exiting the driver dr. Working around the seat pedestal or God forbid being instructed to hold them while exiting..... I wasn't there.

It is easy to imagine being instructed by ORS's with no experience or such. Or the type people they promote and the personalities who promoted them.....

More worrisome is the Union folks agreeing with the company.

Now, if the driver considered the instruction to be unsafe.....unless you were right there and then......months later.....determine exactly what happened.

I know many, many deliberately obstinate people at UPS(including MGT.). Stupid people. Lazy people. Contrary people. Odd people. Folks devoid of common sense. Especially punitive and hateful people....people driven by upper mgt. to do really stupid things.
Wasn’t right there obviously, as previously explained he was a big guy in an 800 that had tall short steps on the driver side, it was raining and there was some traffic it’s an area with a mix of business and residential‘s on the same street. If we are responsible for safety then he should be able to choose which door is safe and when. Imo this was several years ago when they had people coming from out of town to install and set up Orion. This wasn’t one of our on road supervisor she was out from out of town. Same maroon was telling people to back into driveways to stay on trace. That quickly got cast aside.

As to why some on the union may have sided with the company I don’t know and I’m not sure they actually did, obviously I was at the panel but I was not in executive session so maybe the company wanted to push it further and deadlock it and the union decided it wasn’t worth deadlocking and keeping a guy out longer. My point with it was the decision made things kind of murky.

I’m not sure what your last paragraph has to do with anything but thanks for that update.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Wasn’t right there obviously, as previously explained he was a big guy in an 800 that had tall short steps it was raining and there was some traffic it’s an area with a mix of business and residential‘s on the same street. If we are responsible for safety then he should be able to choose which door is safe and when. Imo this was several years ago when they had people coming from out of town to install and set up Orion. This wasn’t one of our on road supervisor she was out from out of town. Same maroon was telling people to back into driveways to stay on trace. That quickly got cast aside.

As to why some on the union may have sided with the company I don’t know and I’m not sure they actually did, obviously I was at the panel but I was not in executive session so maybe the company wanted to push it further and deadlock it and the union decided it wasn’t worth deadlocking and keeping a guy out longer. My point with it was the decision made things kind of murky.

I’m not sure what your last paragraph has to do with anything but thanks for that update.
Gotta sneak in at least one hateful….chuckle

oldupsman

Good luck with that pipe-dream
Never seen it implemented.
Try to keep this as short as I can. I got 30 in, I'm 53, got a nice country run. everything's rosy.
New female division manager comes in trying to make a name for herself. Decides to start cutting routes.
center manager decides to cut the route next to mine. Now instead of punching out at 530 I'm working until 815.
Needless to say I'm unhappy.

Ok. You want to play, let's play. I do it ALL by the book. You need help, call by 230. I'm calling every day.
My mileage goes through the roof. Why? I need to stop and drive 5 miles to lunch and then drive back.
Then I need to drive out of my way to make pickups before they close and drive back out to where
I was delivering. Take lunch after you're done back at the building. Sorry lunch is between the 3rd and 5th hour.
Not doing it.

On it went for about 3 weeks. They threatened to ride with me every day. Fine with me I'll justify every mile.
They know I could too.

Now I wasn't a grievance guy because I could always get stuff done behind the scenes with an outcome that
would make everybody happy. She wasn't having it. So I filed a grievance until Article 37 saying this poor old
body couldn't take it anymore and to show me some respect.

My steward at the time got a smile on his face when he saw it and I told him to hand it in. Within 5 minutes
the center manager, a guy I liked by the way, he wasn't causing this problem, came out begging me not to do it. Sorry.

I come in walking in 2 days later there's the local President, my building's BA and my steward waiting for me.
The President got a big smile on his face because he lived for stuff like this. Plus we went way back.
Up to her office we go. She has 2 of her managers sitting there.

Now the whole building knew about this because she had cut a bunch of trips and alot of guys were unhappy.
I never said a word the whole meeting. It was all the President and her going back and forth. Finally he says
Look, I already made some phone calls that go way above your head. You better rethink you're position or
tomorrow you're going to have about 20 grievances filed under Article 37. It was great working in a strong local.

Came in next morning every trip that had been cut was back on. Seems she had taken on this little project
on her own, again to make a name for herself. Well she did, but not the way she wanted. She was gone within
3 months.
So Article 37 can work if people want to push for it.