Breaking senior drivers

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Putting in 50 to 60 hours a week at this job then going to work out after 10-12 hour days should be on the high priority list of a 30 year veteran driver, the job kills you after 30 years and people are lucky to get out of it without a major injury, nothing wrong with him questioning the job and thinking making less money for less pain is worth it

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Most of our package drivers went over to feeder after about 25 years.

cush job

BTW. Even though i was in feeder my body was kinda hurting. back, shoulders, weight up , and some other minor aches and pains due to driving long hours.

After a couple years retired I was back in pretty good shape. Lost weight, more exercise, better diet , plenty of sleep. Actually feel about 10 years younger.

That is why I am always encouraging my co-workers to retire as soon as possible. You can keep working if you want. Just a job that is more fun .
Being retired doesnt mean sitting in front of tv 24/7

I'm busier now than ever and having fun.

542thruNthru

They have never given consideration for age or physical condition. I'm sure you know that.
That language has always come into play in my local when the company tries to hold a driver to unrealistic numbers that young drivers have demonstrated on their route.

As soon as it's brought up, meeting over have a nice day. It's up to the driver to work at his/her safepace for their age.

quad decade guy

Wasn’t right there obviously, as previously explained he was a big guy in an 800 that had tall short steps on the driver side, it was raining and there was some traffic it’s an area with a mix of business and residential‘s on the same street. If we are responsible for safety then he should be able to choose which door is safe and when. Imo this was several years ago when they had people coming from out of town to install and set up Orion. This wasn’t one of our on road supervisor she was out from out of town. Same maroon was telling people to back into driveways to stay on trace. That quickly got cast aside.

As to why some on the union may have sided with the company I don’t know and I’m not sure they actually did, obviously I was at the panel but I was not in executive session so maybe the company wanted to push it further and deadlock it and the union decided it wasn’t worth deadlocking and keeping a guy out longer. My point with it was the decision made things kind of murky.

I’m not sure what your last paragraph has to do with anything but thanks for that update.
Wasn’t right there obviously, as previously explained he was a big guy in an 800 that had tall short steps on the driver side, it was raining and there was some traffic it’s an area with a mix of business and residential‘s on the same street. If we are responsible for safety then he should be able to choose which door is safe and when. Imo this was several years ago when they had people coming from out of town to install and set up Orion. This wasn’t one of our on road supervisor she was out from out of town. Same maroon was telling people to back into driveways to stay on trace. That quickly got cast aside.

As to why some on the union may have sided with the company I don’t know and I’m not sure they actually did, obviously I was at the panel but I was not in executive session so maybe the company wanted to push it further and deadlock it and the union decided it wasn’t worth deadlocking and keeping a guy out longer. My point with it was the decision made things kind of murky.

I’m not sure what your last paragraph has to do with anything but thanks for that update.
My last paragraph illustrates why the driver was at panel. Context. You do have to do the connecting of the dots. Shrug.

quad decade guy

Putting in 50 to 60 hours a week at this job then going to work out after 10-12 hour days should be on the high priority list of a 30 year veteran driver, the job kills you after 30 years and people are lucky to get out of it without a major injury, nothing wrong with him questioning the job and thinking making less money for less pain is worth it
Simply not true.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Most of our package drivers went over to feeder after about 25 years.

cush job

BTW. Even though i was in feeder my body was kinda hurting. back, shoulders, weight up , and some other minor aches and pains due to driving long hours.

After a couple years retired I was back in pretty good shape. Lost weight, more exercise, better diet , plenty of sleep. Actually feel about 10 years younger.

That is why I am always encouraging my co-workers to retire as soon as possible. You can keep working if you want. Just a job that is more fun .
Being retired doesnt mean sitting in front of tv 24/7

I'm busier now than ever and having fun.

Looks like you could stand to lose a few more to me @Frankie
And shave that nasty looking beard thing you got going on

Over70irregs

After I told a driver while sup was nearby I was investing the grievance money they were paying me so I could retire earlier they bare-boned my dispatch. (Old school PSYOP: 1. Walk in office with yellow side of form showing. 2. Text OMS asking did 9.5 grievance checks come in yet) Don’t get me started……