Burnt out retired ups worker

CLUB1961

I worked ups for thirty-one years and found out last week that the monthly health premium will increase from $50.00 a month
to a whopping $495.00 per month/ 10 times more!!!! I'm blogging this to inform those thinking of retiring from ups to be prepared!!!
I have been retired for nine years and i draw a pension from ups. About 1/4 of that per month will go towards paying the premium!!
Ups sent this letter only to the retirees. Beware, active workers will be next! Just another ploy by ups. Please keep this in mind
doing the next contract.

Facts:
1)you only=$247.50 per month
2)you plus spouse=$495.00
3)you plus children=$495.00
4)you plus family=$742.50
think about it!!
Burnt out upser.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm really curious,will healthcare costs for retired management go up also???

It went up years ago.
Management accrues $250 per year served to pay for their Healthcare cost.
For a management person retiring with 25 years - 25 years x $250 = $6250 per year.
This management person has to pay 100% above the $6250.
Welcome to our world ... well almost.

It went up years ago.
Management accrues $250 per year served to pay for their Healthcare cost.
For a management person retiring with 25 years - 25 years x $250 = $6250 per year.
This management person has to pay 100% above the $6250.
Welcome to our world ... well almost.

$221 and change per month for Mgm, $742.50 per month for hourly. Not quite the same world.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
$221 and change per month for Mgm, $742.50 per month for hourly. Not quite the same world.

I'm not sure if family is even offered for Management but I have trouble following your calculation.
I'm thinking management would pay closer to $1200/month if offered.
I think others who are experienced with this scenario could verify.
I know some recent management retirees have complained about paying over $1000 / month.

I'm not sure if family is even offered for Management but I have trouble following your calculation.
I'm thinking management would pay closer to $1200/month if offered.
I think others who are experienced with this scenario could verify.
I know some recent management retirees have complained about paying over $1000 / month.

You said Mgmt accrued $6250 for healthcare, pay 100% above.

Hourly: $742.50 X 12 = $8910
$8910 - $6250 accrued = $2660
$2660 / 12 = $221.66

Hourly would have to pay all $742.50 to reach the $8910 total cost of coverage. After Mgmts $6250 accrued money they would have to cover 100% of the remaining $2660 at $221.66 per month out of pocket.

Or am I not understanding the Mgmt system correctly?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You said Mgmt accrued $6250 for healthcare, pay 100% above.

Hourly: $742.50 X 12 = $8910
$8910 - $6250 accrued = $2660
$2660 / 12 = $221.66

Hourly would have to pay all $742.50 to reach the $8910 total cost of coverage. After Mgmts $6250 accrued money they would have to cover 100% of the remaining $2660 at $221.66 per month out of pocket.

Or am I not understanding the Mgmt system correctly?

I think you are not understanding the Union employee plan at least as it was interpreted earlier in this thread: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/u...nion-employees-347943/index2.html#post1074283
and here
http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/u...nion-employees-347943/index3.html#post1074302

The cost for a family on the open market is around $18,000 at the low end and around $24,000 at the high end.

The letter that UPS sent is saying the UPS and retiree cost sharing is this:
UPS pays $6250 + retiree pays $8910 + UPS pays $8910 = $24,070

I honestly don't think anyone on this forum knows for sure.

Management is calculated pretty much the same way except UPS does not share the expense above the initial amount covered.

Last edited:

brown bomber

brown bomber
Central States ...currently $200.00/ single.....$400.00 /with spouse....per month............NO COVERAGE FOR ELIGIBLE CHILDREN, NO DENTAL, NO VISION...I have to purchase medical insurance for my daughters, who would be covered if I didn't have to retire due to medical issues......I'm taking a big gamble regarding dental and vision, for my daughters and myself as far as anyone paying $50.00/month, and possibly having coverage for dental, vision, and eligible children...I'm sorry that things have changed.......and it seems to me that some of you retirees are making 2x per month than I am, even though I performed the same job, and I accrued more years of service ???....explain that one to me, all of my union brothers and sisters....I thought that a union afforded similarities in benefits...after all, aren't we all Teamsters ??

The new health plan rules are as follows rule number 1 You retire they kill you!! you pay noyhing they pay nothing!! Rule number 2 if you work there long enough you just drop dead!! !Any questions?

brown bomber

brown bomber
Keep working and you won't have to worry about it.
thanks for the encouragement......however this is not an option for me.......OUR UNION and COMPANY has failed to cover those that are "entitled", our kids...UPS, with union approval ?? has figured out a way to disallow coverage for children........BECAUSE WE ARE NOT TECHNICALLY STILL EMPLOYED by UPS......Does this occur in other unions???....if so, I would love to do some research...and find out the answers

dragracer66

I don't get all the panic on here. In my contract (machinist's) the retire health care is negotiated. I can't see the teamsters allowing a $700 increase. You guys should know how this works, the company shoots high the union shoots low then they agree on a middle number. Until contract talks start for real I wouldn't sweat this out..

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
thanks for the encouragement......however this is not an option for me.......OUR UNION and COMPANY has failed to cover those that are "entitled", our kids...UPS, with union approval ?? has figured out a way to disallow coverage for children........BECAUSE WE ARE NOT TECHNICALLY STILL EMPLOYED by UPS......Does this occur in other unions???....if so, I would love to do some research...and find out the answers

My retirement plans include getting the kids on their own first.

packageguy

I worked ups for thirty-one years and found out last week that the monthly health premium will increase from $50.00 a month
to a whopping $495.00 per month/ 10 times more!!!! I'm blogging this to inform those thinking of retiring from ups to be prepared!!!
I have been retired for nine years and i draw a pension from ups. About 1/4 of that per month will go towards paying the premium!!
Ups sent this letter only to the retirees. Beware, active workers will be next! Just another ploy by ups. Please keep this in mind
doing the next contract.

Facts:
1)you only=$247.50 per month
2)you plus spouse=$495.00
3)you plus children=$495.00
4)you plus family=$742.50
think about it!!
Burnt out upser.

I went to or local union meeting last Sunday, these increases are not set in stone, they want to sit down and ask how did they come to these numbers. We will wait and see........