Bye Bye Pension and Hello to matching 401k coming in 2023?

Hethatbeking

Congress has removed all the regulatory guard rails for Wall Street and some of you idiots are hoping for 401k to become our main retirement vehicle. Americans are a special bunch indeed.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
N

Been over this a million times.

If I had the pension monies put in my 401k I'd retire a millionaire a few times over. As should anyone.

With the pension I'll have to live 20 years into retirement just to break even.
"If I had a million dollars I'd be a millionaire... and somehow it's the union's fault that I don't have a million dollars."

This is essentially what you're saying and it's ridiculous.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
"If I had a million dollars I'd be a millionaire... and somehow it's the union's fault that I don't have a million dollars."

This is essentially what you're saying and it's ridiculous.
Not at all. What I'm saying is pensions are not a good dollar for dollar value for the worker. Just like SS is a terrible deal for the average worker.

The only thing pensions have going for them is the promise of a steady paycheck. A promise many people are finding out isn't worth much.

Smashmouth

Not at all. What I'm saying is pensions are not a good dollar for dollar value for the worker. Just like SS is a terrible deal for the average worker.

The only thing pensions have going for them is the promise of a steady paycheck. A promise many people are finding out isn't worth much.

Pensions are good as long as the company providing them is doing well and is able to keep them properly funded, the problem arises when the company isnt doing so well and cant keep up with its obligations, or like many of our penions, they were multi-employer plans and some of the companies went belly up...but yet the remaining companies are on the hook for everyone who was vested. At that point, the pension becomes a big pyramid scheme with the new people paying for the retirees until there are more retirees then new people and the whole thing collapses, like Central States is getting close to doing. So YES it would be nice to have had a 401k to manage myself.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Pensions are good as long as the company providing them is doing well and is able to keep them properly funded, the problem arises when the company isnt doing so well and cant keep up with its obligations, or like many of our penions, they were multi-employer plans and some of the companies went belly up...but yet the remaining companies are on the hook for everyone who was vested. At that point, the pension becomes a big pyramid scheme with the new people paying for the retirees until there are more retirees then new people and the whole thing collapses, like Central States is getting close to doing. So YES it would be nice to have had a 401k to manage myself.
Well they aren't a good value even when they work out ok. The worker would be much better off having control of that money.

CoffeeStainedUniform

Pensions are a deferred compensation for your retirement years. Too many of you young pups would just go spend the money on a new $60K pick up truck.
457s are differed comp...and can be invested in a wide range of investment options. Pensions are restricted much more heavily and barely make more than inflation on average. They produce less per dollar, pay out only if you live long enough, and are not inheritable. Our pensions are worthless if UPS goes belly up...stock market crashing would be every major company in the country.

The reason we do them is simply because it keeps employees to a 30 year contract. That's it, there is no other benefit.

457s are differed comp...and can be invested in a wide range of investment options. Pensions are restricted much more heavily and barely make more than inflation on average. They produce less per dollar, pay out only if you live long enough, and are not inheritable. Our pensions are worthless if UPS goes belly up...stock market crashing would be every major company in the country.

The reason we do them is simply because it keeps employees to a 30 year contract. That's it, there is no other benefit.
457 isn't all that great. Whatever the employer matches goes against the cap you can put in