C.I.R.—A Handy Guide

You have to say that about numbers because you don't understand them. I didn't even bring up time allowances.

But for fun, let's say there are 10000 stops a day (I bet it's less) that have this issue. Drivers make about 8 MILLION stops a day. If you get 3-4 minutes per stop, and you average pushing 3-4 more DIAD buttons on 1 out of 800 of those stops, do you really think that changes allowed time? It doesn't.

And the numbers are valuable in themselves. Whether the Teamsters "recognize" them or not, whatever that means, numbers still tell a story.
What about the BS numbers with the key fob? How many times doesn't the door work correctly? We don't get any extra time for that. I really don't care. My sup has to eat those numbers not me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We do exactly what you describe in the first paragraph. But every location isn't the same.

As for computer systems, as features get added, you can't expect 100% perfection on every application, just because it's on a computer. There's no other system that works this way, and where they're important (banking), you'll see systems that haven't changed in 50 years in some cases.

When you see the data from the other side, you might find that we had thousands of DRs (and paid claims) in non DR locations, and restricting the DRs to locations where the DIAD thinks it's a DR only leaves us with a thousand exceptions. So - we take the lesser of two evils.

There are a limited number of programmers. As an example in any system, we might have a list of 100 things to fix, but you'll only get enough money to work on the top 5. The remaining 95 - you'll have to live with.
So as far as the DR claims in non-DR locations being a reason for the program...thats not what we were told. The DIAD training said it was to reduce billing discrepancies from when the shipper sent it as commercial vs the higher residential rate.
And in any case...what is the reason for having us answer the questions in the DIAD if the data we input will never be acted upon?
I have a customer who moved into their home a year ago. The previous occupants got a lot of packages and were incorrectly ordering them as commercial in order to save on shipping charges. So now, the DIAD has decided that that particular address is commercial, even though it is a house out in the country and even though I have been telling it 4x per week for the last 2 1/2 years that it is residential. The commercial designation for that address is now chiseled in stone for all eternity, with no hope of ever being corrected. What am I supposed to tell this customer when they ask why they arent getting deliveries and why they cannot use Access Point? And why can’t a simple data-entry issue like this be handled at the center level?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So as far as the DR claims in non-DR locations being a reason for the program...thats not what we were told. The DIAD training said it was to reduce billing discrepancies from when the shipper sent it as commercial vs the higher residential rate.
And in any case...what is the reason for having us answer the questions in the DIAD if the data we input will never be acted upon?
I have a customer who moved into their home a year ago. The previous occupants got a lot of packages and were incorrectly ordering them as commercial in order to save on shipping charges. So now, the DIAD has decided that that particular address is commercial, even though it is a house out in the country and even though I have been telling it 4x per week for the last 2 1/2 years that it is residential. The commercial designation for that address is chiseled in stone for all eternity, with no hope of ever being corrected. What am I supposed to tell this customer when they ask why they arent getting deliveries and why they cannot use Access Point? And why can’t a simple data-entry issue like this be handled at the center level?

Override.

soberups

Override.
That does not resolve the issue of that address being ineligible for Access Point on signature required packages due to its incorrect commercial designation.
Nor does it resolve the issue of the signiature release “override” not being an approved method that drivers are expected to follow.
A resolution of the issue would be to (a) clearly communicate to all drivers that signature release is an approved method and (b) acting upon the information gathered by the drivers by empowering local management to correct these data entry errors rather than making them permanent.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have several similar addresses and have told all of my cover drivers to simply override the stop. Took less than five seconds per driver to explain.

You tend to over complicate what is a very simple job.

That does not resolve the issue of that address being ineligible for Access Point on signature required packages due to its incorrect commercial designation.
Nor does it resolve the issue of the signiature release “override” not being an approved method that drivers are expected to follow.
A resolution of the issue would be to (a) clearly communicate to all drivers that signature release is an approved method and (b) acting upon the information gathered by the drivers by empowering local management to correct these data entry errors rather than making them permanent.
Have the customer go online after you leave the first delivery notice to do the electronic release thing on their sig required pkgs.

dudebro

Honestly, thank you for taking the time to write these. I will reach out to the people I know in Timonium, MD to ensure that these issues are on their roadmap. I had a meeting Friday with a couple of the people who were testing the next form of the DIAD.

Having said that - the change might be awhile in coming, for a number of reasons.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You have to say that about numbers because you don't understand them. I didn't even bring up time allowances.

But for fun, let's say there are 10000 stops a day (I bet it's less) that have this issue. Drivers make about 8 MILLION stops a day. If you get 3-4 minutes per stop, and you average pushing 3-4 more DIAD buttons on 1 out of 800 of those stops, do you really think that changes allowed time? It doesn't.

And the numbers are valuable in themselves. Whether the Teamsters "recognize" them or not, whatever that means, numbers still tell a story.
Yep.. they tell that our workforce work on their lunches and breaks because they are pressured from managers for better performance...they also try to game the system.. I’ve seen it a thousand times...I want to see some of these cubicle geeks come out and perform their numbers on some of these routes... blown out pkg cars, missing air, etc.... been 100 years guy and we still aren’t doing it perfect but you hold my fellow coworkers to it everyday.....these cubicle wantabees have no idea, none.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have several similar addresses and have told all of my cover drivers to simply override the stop. Took less than five seconds per driver to explain.

You seem to over analyze what is a simple job...you have been doing it since day one on here..

soberups

UPS is the one that is overcomplicating a simple job by taking what used to be a black-and-white decision—whether or not to get a signature—and subjecting it to a bunch of illogical and dysfunctional variables that make no sense.
All I am trying to do is to leave a :censored2: box on the porch of a house I have been delivering to for 25 years.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We do exactly what you describe in the first paragraph. But every location isn't the same.

As for computer systems, as features get added, you can't expect 100% perfection on every application, just because it's on a computer. There's no other system that works this way, and where they're important (banking), you'll see systems that haven't changed in 50 years in some cases.

When you see the data from the other side, you might find that we had thousands of DRs (and paid claims) in non DR locations, and restricting the DRs to locations where the DIAD thinks it's a DR only leaves us with a thousand exceptions. So - we take the lesser of two evils.

There are a limited number of programmers. As an example in any system, we might have a list of 100 things to fix, but you'll only get enough money to work on the top 5. The remaining 95 - you'll have to live with.

Excuses are like :censored2:s

soberups

Have the customer go online after you leave the first delivery notice to do the electronic release thing on their sig required pkgs.
First of all, an electronic release prohibits them from ever filing a claim.
Second of all, why should I be required to try and explain our screwed up system (that I dont fully understand) to the customer, and why should the burden then be on the customer to go online and jump thru a bunch of hoops in order to fix our data entry errors?
This is a data-entry issue that an OMS should be empowered to resolve.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Second of all, why should I be required to try and explain our screwed up system (that I dont fully understand) to the customer, and why should the burden then be on the customer to go online and jump thru a bunch of hoops in order to fix our data entry errors?

An OMS in my old center made several changes similar to what you want.

Maybe you just have a bad/lazy OMS?

First of all, an electronic signature can be put on a single tracking number.

In early January I had a large box signature required. They did a sig release the next day. They were gone for 2 weeks, when they got back, I had a damage call tag for it.

Second of all who said that you were “required “ to do anything? The shipper put the burden on the customer to be home to sign in the first place.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Second of all who said that you were “required “ to do anything? The shipper put the burden on the customer to be home to sign in the first place.

From time to time I get these idiotic DIAD alerts that won't let me DR to a residential address that I have been DRing for over twenty years. I get screen prompts asking five different questions about what type of delivery. Residential, commercial, business ran out of a home, multi-use property, and something else I can't remember. You have to get a signature or its a send-again. This is great during peak season. Whoever thought of this stupidity should be shown the door and take the software with them. So its not always the shipper that asks for a signature.

soberups

No, the shipper didn’t.
UPS did, by mistakenly classifying their address as commercial and prohibiting driver release for no reason.
That classification is now chiseled in stone. There is no hope that it will ever be corrected. The fact that I have been repeatedly telling the DIAD that it is residential for over 2 years now is irrelevant.

soberups

From time to time I get these idiotic DIAD alerts that won't let me DR to a residential address that I have been DRing for over twenty years. I get screen prompts asking five different questions about what type of delivery. Residential, commercial, business ran out of a home, multi-use property, and something else I can't remember. You have to get a signature or its a send-again. This is great during peak season. Whoever thought of this stupidity should be shown the door and take the software with them. So its not always the shipper that asks for a signature.
I have about 15 of these stops on my route. It is infuriating. And it does not matter how you answer the questions because no one is acting on the information that you provide and the data entry error that classified these stops as commercial will never, ever be corrected.

barnyard

KTM rider
This morning I asked why we could not choose sig options 1, 2 or 3 with #1, 2 or 3 on the keyboard. Reply, "Oh, that used to work like that, Atlanta decided it was not needed."

Would have been way, way, way smarter to not tell me that.