C.I.R.—A Handy Guide

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I noticed that today we could do CIR. I also noticed that I could not choose the name choices with the number by them. Who is the brain trust that came up with that idea??? I wanted to choose #2, pressed the '2' and nothing happened. WTF. Pressed it again, still nada. WTF.
If I have to use all soft keys and over ride a bunch of times with the orange button, a signature is faster.

You need to use the function button associated with the last name that you want to choose.

MC0493

I noticed that today we could do CIR. I also noticed that I could not choose the name choices with the number by them. Who is the brain trust that came up with that idea??? I wanted to choose #2, pressed the '2' and nothing happened. WTF. Pressed it again, still nada. WTF.
If I have to use all soft keys and over ride a bunch of times with the orange button, a signature is faster.
Agreed, that's the stupidest thing I've come across so far, can't use the numbers, have to use the soft key.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
...and you have to choose delivery location before hitting stop complete rather than hitting stop complete and then being asked to choose delivery location...
It really should be that way... the stop is complete when all information is put into the diad...right??? You have just been programmed to do it the other way for so many years...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It's standard industry practice to release something as soon as you have a viable product. Beta testing in the field is THE fastest way to figure out what issues you have.

You guys are always the ones saying that the only thing that counts is on road experience, not cubicle testing, then you complain something wasn't cubicle tested.

The strategy is probably to reduce ring bell / wait time for peak, so, March is perfect.
So you beta test it in one location, with a team on hand to immediately fix the bugs and any other issues that pop up, before implementing it nationwide.
But thats not what we do at UPS.
There are multiple problems with it that will never be fixed, just like there are still multiple problems with that damn function that wont let you DR a residential package to an address if the DIAD “thinks” it is a commercial stop. 2 1/2 years later and I still have houses I cant DR to despite repeated requests and customer complaints, and there is no hope of ever getting the issue resolved.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you beta test it in one location, with a team on hand to immediately fix the bugs and any other issues that pop up, before implementing it nationwide.
There are multiple problems with it that will never be fixed, just like there are still multiple problems with that damn function that wont let you DR a residential package to an address if the DIAD “thinks” it is a commercial stop. 2 1/2 years later and I still have houses I cant DR to despite repeated requests and customer complaints, and there is no hope of ever getting the issue resolved.

Override.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And that is what I do but not all drivers know about it and management wont give you a straight answer on whether or not that is an approved work-around.
Plus its a pain in the ass when they get multiple packages and you have to override every one of them.

It’s only an approved work around if it is not a no DR address.

It works there as well.

dudebro

We do exactly what you describe in the first paragraph. But every location isn't the same.

As for computer systems, as features get added, you can't expect 100% perfection on every application, just because it's on a computer. There's no other system that works this way, and where they're important (banking), you'll see systems that haven't changed in 50 years in some cases.

When you see the data from the other side, you might find that we had thousands of DRs (and paid claims) in non DR locations, and restricting the DRs to locations where the DIAD thinks it's a DR only leaves us with a thousand exceptions. So - we take the lesser of two evils.

There are a limited number of programmers. As an example in any system, we might have a list of 100 things to fix, but you'll only get enough money to work on the top 5. The remaining 95 - you'll have to live with.

We do exactly what you describe in the first paragraph. But every location isn't the same.

As for computer systems, as features get added, you can't expect 100% perfection on every application, just because it's on a computer. There's no other system that works this way, and where they're important (banking), you'll see systems that haven't changed in 50 years in some cases.

When you see the data from the other side, you might find that we had thousands of DRs (and paid claims) in non DR locations, and restricting the DRs to locations where the DIAD thinks it's a DR only leaves us with a thousand exceptions. So - we take the lesser of two evils.

There are a limited number of programmers. As an example in any system, we might have a list of 100 things to fix, but you'll only get enough money to work on the top 5. The remaining 95 - you'll have to live with.
So we get banged on time allowances from things you can't fix. It really doesn't matter to me, it's your numbers. I only care about the numbers on my paycheck

dudebro

So we get banged on time allowances from things you can't fix. It really doesn't matter to me, it's your numbers. I only care about the numbers on my paycheck

You have to say that about numbers because you don't understand them. I didn't even bring up time allowances.

But for fun, let's say there are 10000 stops a day (I bet it's less) that have this issue. Drivers make about 8 MILLION stops a day. If you get 3-4 minutes per stop, and you average pushing 3-4 more DIAD buttons on 1 out of 800 of those stops, do you really think that changes allowed time? It doesn't.

And the numbers are valuable in themselves. Whether the Teamsters "recognize" them or not, whatever that means, numbers still tell a story.