California drivers....the one hour lunch is back for peak!!! Yea!

browndevil

California does (or used to) lock their boards between noon and 1.

The DIAD doesn't block the boards from 12-1. What it does is once we punch out for lunch a prompt comes up "no work is to be completed during lunch" and it has a timer that counts down from 60 minutes and once it reaches 5 minutes a warning beep sounds. In the prompt it may reference local bargaining or state laws regarding lunch. I can PM you tomorrow if you are interested.
As most people on this site know California drivers won a 87 million dollar class action law suit. My guess is UPS in other States is bracing for possible lawsuits and are getting drivers in the routine of taking lunch during the contractual and State law requirements

over9five

Staff member
We grieve management when they don't abide by the contract. Shouldn't we abide by the contract by taking our lunch when we're supposed to?

We grieve management when they don't abide by the contract. Shouldn't we abide by the contract by taking our lunch when we're supposed to?

That's the problem with the lunch skippers. They only care about the union when it can work for them, they don't want to put any work in. They only care when it's convenient or beneficial for them and that is the problem with the IBT right now. Selfish members who do NOT care about anybody other than themselves, including the Hoffa leadership and this isn't what unions are supposed to be.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

You answered the question with a question. I am asking you, what reasons do you NOT care about when drivers take their lunch?

The contract, in most cases locally, says lunch is to be taken between the 4th and 5th hours or maybe 6th hours. You are basically saying that the contract and how other fellow drivers abide by it, does not mean anything to you.

I am asking for some reasoning, not "well what difference does it make when they are taken?" That equates ( to me) answering "well, ... just because!"

Omega man

+1

When drivers do not take lunch during contactual windows, it is usually because they are accommodating themselves. The only problem with this is that they are also accommodating UPS. If you are violating the contract to do a route in a more efficient way, you are losing the wage differential that you are entitled to and which was negotiated on your behalf. In other words, you are entering into your own agreement with UPS to do the job for less pay. Our contract strictly forbids this (Article 6 of the Master Agreement). Drivers should follow their contract language regarding lunch no matter how it affects their day.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

That's the problem with the lunch skippers. They only care about the union when it can work for them, they don't want to put any work in. They only care when it's convenient or beneficial for them and that is the problem with the IBT right now. Selfish members who do NOT care about anybody other than themselves, including the Hoffa leadership and this isn't what unions are supposed to be.

You answered the question with a question. I am asking you, what reasons do you NOT care about when drivers take their lunch?

The contract, in most cases locally, says lunch is to be taken between the 4th and 5th hours or maybe 6th hours. You are basically saying that the contract and how other fellow drivers abide by it, does not mean anything to you.

I am asking for some reasoning, not "well what difference does it make when they are taken?" That equates ( to me) answering "well, ... just because!"

+1

When drivers do not take lunch during contactual windows, it is usually because they are accommodating themselves. The only problem with this is that they are also accommodating UPS. If you are violating the contract to do a route in a more efficient way, you are losing the wage differential that you are entitled to and which was negotiated on your behalf. In other words, you are entering into your own agreement with UPS to do the job for less pay. Our contract strictly forbids this (Article 6 of the Master Agreement). Drivers should follow their contract language regarding lunch no matter how it affects their day.
What I'm getting from the above four posts is that when I take my lunch at the time I want, I'm actually doing MYSELF a disservice, because it somehow skews the route. I don't see how that is possible. I take lunch at approx. the same time each day, whether I'm loaded heavy or normal. I break off before my pickups, take 1/2 my lunch, do a few more pickups, take the rest of my lunch, do the rest of my pickups and continue on to what ever deliveries I have left.

Taking my lunch when I want to neither speeds me up nor slows me down. I don't even know what the contractual times are for lunch.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

+1

You are spot on when you say that drivers who take their lunch/break at other than the contractually negotiated times are accomodating themselves. At least they are taking them. Would you rather they skip them all together?? As far as the extra pay, again you are right, but this is a choice that is being made by those drivers so it is their loss, not yours.

I take my meal break from 1545/1630 and my break from 1650/1700 daily. This works best for me and for my delivery area. Will this change based upon your admonishment? No.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What I'm getting from the above four posts is that when I take my lunch at the time I want, I'm actually doing MYSELF a disservice, because it somehow skews the route. I don't see how that is possible. I take lunch at approx. the same time each day, whether I'm loaded heavy or normal. I break off before my pickups, take 1/2 my lunch, do a few more pickups, take the rest of my lunch, do the rest of my pickups and continue on to what ever deliveries I have left.

Taking my lunch when I want to neither speeds me up nor slows me down. I don't even know what the contractual times are for lunch.

This seems hipocritical.

First off , I was not speaking for you Steve. Your response reminds me one like Upstates. Very self centered and "me" oriented. Re-read my response, I am talking for the good of all drivers in your center and everywhere, not only your own personal gain.

There are many different scenerios that affect FT employees and FT drivers are not the only ones affected by appropriate lunch/ break hours.

But on-topic for drivers,

IF the company were forced to plan routes according to what is a fair days work plan/dispatch, while allowing for meal and break times at the contractually given windows: AND the break/lunch times were reviewed by the local union periodically (examination of records ), do you think the management team would need to plan more routes and bodies, or not?

You should never have a right to file a grievance if management violates the contract; simply because you are willingly violating it yourself and likely making the company and local management team look better than they should.

center manager "Well Steve takes his lunch at 6 pm in the bldg, theres no reason YOU shouldn't be able to also.
Driver "No, I will take my contractually agreed 4th and 6th hour lunch. I need a lunch to re-energize. thank you."
center manager: *insert cliche guilt line designed to make employee feel cheapened* "
Driver: "No, I am taking my lunch in the contractual window. "
center manager "Ok, we will play by the rules then. Get out of here. *insert arrogant smirk* "

Next day, said driver has 2 splits 20 miles away and a 12 hour planned day

Thanks Steve!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This seems hipocritical.

First off , I was not speaking for you Steve. Your response reminds me one like Upstates. Very self centered and "me" oriented. Re-read my response, I am talking for the good of all drivers in your center and everywhere, not only your own personal gain.

There are many different scenerios that affect FT employees and FT drivers are not the only ones affected by appropriate lunch/ break hours.

But on-topic for drivers,

IF the company were forced to plan routes according to what is a fair days work plan/dispatch, while allowing for meal and break times at the contractually given windows: AND the break/lunch times were reviewed by the local union periodically (examination of records ), do you think the management team would need to plan more routes and bodies, or not?

You should never have a right to file a grievance if management violates the contract; simply because you are willingly violating it yourself and likely making the company and local management team look better than they should.

center manager "Well Steve takes his lunch at 6 pm in the bldg, theres no reason YOU shouldn't be able to also.
Driver "No, I will take my contractually agreed 4th and 6th hour lunch. I need a lunch to re-energize. thank you."
center manager: *insert cliche guilt line designed to make employee feel cheapened* "
Driver: "No, I am taking my lunch in the contractual window. "
center manager "Ok, we will play by the rules then. Get out of here. *insert arrogant smirk* "

Next day, said driver has 2 splits 20 miles away and a 12 hour planned day

Thanks Steve!
Sleeve, usually when I talk about MYself, it's gonna sound a bit selfish, because I'm talking about me, and no one else, though I do get the drift about sounding Upstate-ish.

What I am saying about lunch is this. If I was "supposed" to take lunch from 12-1, 1-2 or 2-3, it would make no difference in the route. I would still get the same amount of business/resi's off and start my pickups at the same time. I've done this before and it wasn't a problem.

The reason I take lunch the way I do is because I eat several small meals throughout the day as I'm plugging along, (as should all driver's). I plan my lunch along my area so I don't drive too far. As far as I can tell, this doesn't affect other driver's who DO take their lunch. I really can't speak for the other driver's because I only know of the habits of one, and he takes lunch from like 1630-17-30, and he used to be the Shop Steward. What I'm sensing here is that YOU (no offense) want ME to take lunch at YOUR appointed time, because YOU say it's better that way. How is this any better than what I'm doing? I mean I'm all for making life better for fellow driver's, but I just don't see how taking MY lunch earlier in the day (if that's your point) is going to make that happen.

Omega man

You are spot on when you say that drivers who take their lunch/break at other than the contractually negotiated times are accomodating themselves. At least they are taking them. Would you rather they skip them all together?? As far as the extra pay, again you are right, but this is a choice that is being made by those drivers so it is their loss, not yours.

I take my meal break from 1545/1630 and my break from 1650/1700 daily. This works best for me and for my delivery area. Will this change based upon your admonishment? No.

Actually, it is everyone's loss when you decide to enter into your own agreement with UPS for less of a wage. You also directly affect others in your workgroup by helping to keep additional routes added. You claim to not want much overtime so that you have more time for family but you are doing everything you can to help UPS not dispatch enough routes to properly enable that to happen.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Actually, it is everyone's loss when you decide to enter into your own agreement with UPS for less of a wage. You also directly affect others in your workgroup by helping to keep additional routes added. You claim to not want much overtime so that you have more time for family but you are doing everything you can to help UPS not dispatch enough routes to properly enable that to happen.
PHEW, I'm glad you cleared that up. I am in no way taking lunch the way I do, so that I can get home earlier. The route is the route and I get done when I get done, depending on the dispatch, not how fast I can run. Sometimes that dispatch takes me over 9.5 and sometimes it doesn't. Whatever the case, me taking lunch at a particular hour doesn't make me go faster/slower, it's just when I decide I want to stop and sit for a meal and to gab.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am going to take a picture tomorrow and post it here for you. It will show one of our local gas station/convenience stores with anywhere from 2 to 8 package cars parked there. They are generally there between 1800 and 1900 and the drivers are taking their meal and paid breaks. They are there everyday as I am heading home around 1830. This gas station is not on trace for any of these drivers but is on the way back to the bldg.

These drivers may not be taking their meal breaks when they are "supposed" to but they are taking them.

The time that I choose to take my meal break does not have any bearing on how many areas are dispatched nor does it have any bearing on when my cover drivers choose to take theirs. I take it between 1545 and 1630 because that is when my deliveries are all done and the bulk of my pickups are completed. My next pickup stop is about a mile from my condo so it works out perfectly.

If I were to join the rest of the drivers at the gas station I would end up spending money that I don't need to.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, usually when I talk about MYself, it's gonna sound a bit selfish, because I'm talking about me, and no one else, though I do get the drift about sounding Upstate-ish.

What I am saying about lunch is this. If I was "supposed" to take lunch from 12-1, 1-2 or 2-3, it would make no difference in the route. I would still get the same amount of business/resi's off and start my pickups at the same time. I've done this before and it wasn't a problem.

The reason I take lunch the way I do is because I eat several small meals throughout the day as I'm plugging along, (as should all driver's). I plan my lunch along my area so I don't drive too far. As far as I can tell, this doesn't affect other driver's who DO take their lunch. I really can't speak for the other driver's because I only know of the habits of one, and he takes lunch from like 1630-17-30, and he used to be the Shop Steward. What I'm sensing here is that YOU (no offense) want ME to take lunch at YOUR appointed time, because YOU say it's better that way. How is this any better than what I'm doing? I mean I'm all for making life better for fellow driver's, but I just don't see how taking MY lunch earlier in the day (if that's your point) is going to make that happen.

I just gave you one of many examples and reasoning behind it. You can disagree, or maybe it went over your head, however it's all there anytime you want to reconsider.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just gave you one of many examples and reasoning behind it. You can disagree, or maybe it went over your head, however it's all there anytime you want to reconsider.

...or perhaps you can worry about yourself much the same as I worry about myself and Steve worries about himself. The intent, if not the letter, of the contract is being followed.

Omega man

I am going to take a picture tomorrow and post it here for you. It will show one of our local gas station/convenience stores with anywhere from 2 to 8 package cars parked there. They are generally there between 1800 and 1900 and the drivers are taking their meal and paid breaks. They are there everyday as I am heading home around 1830. This gas station is not on trace for any of these drivers but is on the way back to the bldg.

These drivers may not be taking their meal breaks when they are "supposed" to but they are taking them.

The time that I choose to take my meal break does not have any bearing on how many areas are dispatched nor does it have any bearing on when my cover drivers choose to take theirs. I take it between 1545 and 1630 because that is when my deliveries are all done and the bulk of my pickups are completed. My next pickup stop is about a mile from my condo so it works out perfectly.

If I were to join the rest of the drivers at the gas station I would end up spending money that I don't need to.

I never said that drivers shouldn't take their lunch so I have no idea where you are coming from with this.
It looks like many in your center are contributing to an extremely apparent problem in your center. Many of you have a total lack of respect for your contract. Where is your steward? Do you understand what a contract is? It is a promise to act according to an agreement. Both sides agree to respective terms and then we all function based on that agreement. UPS doesn't pay you when they feel like it or when they think that it is in their best interests. UPS pays you because it is part of the terms of the agreement. We take our lunch when it is prescribed because it is part of the terms of the agreement. Neither UPS nor you nor I have the option to act otherwise. You think that because something makes sense to you, or because it may be something that you want, that you have the option to deviate from the terms of the agreement. This is where you are wrong.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will concede that you have a very valid argument if you will concede that my following the intent, if not the letter, of the contract is sufficient. Beyond that, I am tiring of this argument--I won't change your mind and you most certainly won't change mine. Dave.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Nice, now who's playing the part of Upstate?

I stated what I did to see what you are getting at, but this was your reply. What is it that you are trying to say? Are you saying that I need to take my lunch at a different time, or between certain times? I'm just trying to clarify.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
...or perhaps you can worry about yourself much the same as I worry about myself and Steve worries about himself. The intent, if not the letter, of the contract is being followed.

No, the contract is not being followed , if/when you are taking lunches and breaks outside of the NEGOTIATED times within the supplements agreed to by both parties. You are violating the contract, if even a meaningless or non-harmul (to you) infraction that only benefits the company. Hey, the company loves people like that!

Am I right? Absolutely correct calling a spade, a spade.

When people say "worry about yourself", it's also synonymous with "you are correct".

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Nice, now who's playing the part of Upstate?

I stated what I did to see what you are getting at, but this was your reply. What is it that you are trying to say? Are you saying that I need to take my lunch at a different time, or between certain times? I'm just trying to clarify.

Argh, nevermind Steve. I tried. lol