California

moreluck

golden ticket member
Calif. ranks 2nd for construction-job growth
June 15th, 2012, 10:51 am · · posted by Jon Lansner

It’s home just home sales that are popping up in the state. California added 11,700 construction jobs in the past year — second best growth in building trades in the nation, a new study shows.

Analysis by the Associated General Contractors of America of Labor Department data shows Texas with the the most new construction jobs in the nation in the year ended in May: up 15,600 jobs, pr 2.8 percent. Then came California — its growth equalled a 2.1 percent jump; Arizona (up 11,000 jobs or 10 percent) and Indiana (up 8,800 jobs or 7.5 percent.)
These states were not the norm. AGCA found that only 19 states added construction jobs between last month and May 2012, 30 had dips — and Kansas was flat. That was the weakest performance by this state-by-state measure since June 2011.

Biggest loser? Florida, down 22,200 jobs, or 6.6 percent). Next was Illinois (down 12,200 jobs or 4.7 percent), New York (down 12,100 jobs or 3.9 percent) and Wisconsin (down 9,200 jobs or 10 percent.)

AGCA’s Ken Simonson: “As the public sector continues to restrain growth in construction demand, we will continue to see weak reports like this. There isn’t enough demand for private sector structures to compensate for dwindling investments in highways, bridges, water systems and public buildings.”

AGCA added that 21 states added construction jobs between April and May — including California. Its 2,600 month-to-month gain was topped only by Nebraska’s 3,400 job addition.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
California :

The Governor of California is jogging with his dog along a nature trail.

A coyote jumps out and attacks the Governor's dog, then bites the Governor.

1. The Governor starts to intervene, but reflects upon the movie "Bambi" and then realizes he should stop because the coyote is only doing what is natural.

2. He calls animal control . Animal Control captures the coyote and bills the State $200 testing it for diseases and $500 for relocating it.

3. He calls a veterinarian. The vet collects the dead dog and bills the State $200 testing it for diseases.

4. The Governor goes to hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for diseases from the coyote and on getting his bite wound bandaged.

5. The running trail gets shut down for 6 months while Fish & Game conducts a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is now free of dangerous animals.

6. The Governor spends $50,000 in state funds implementing a "coyote awareness program" for residents of the area.

7. The State Legislature spends $2 million to study how to better treat rabies and how to permanently eradicate the disease throughout the world.

8. The Governor's security agent is fired for not stopping the attack. The State spends $150,000 to hire and train a new agent with additional special training re: the nature of coyotes.

9. PETA protests the coyote's relocation and files a $5 million suit against the State.

SOUTH DAKOTA :

The Governor of South Dakota is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A Coyote jumps out and attacks his dog.

1. The Governor shoots the coyote with his State-issued pistol and keeps jogging. The Governor has spent $0.50 on a .45 ACP hollow point cartridge.

2. The Buzzards eat the dead coyote.

And that, my friends, is why California is broke and South Dakota is not.​

klein

Für Meno :)
No ridership, no money made.....................

What, you're a fortune teller ?
California is one of the largest tourists States, maybe only next or even ahead of Florida.

I see it as a great money maker, if tourists can go from Disneyland or Hollywood - to Fisherman's Warf or Chinatown in SF within an hr or 2 !

moreluck

golden ticket member
What, you're a fortune teller ?
California is one of the largest tourists States, maybe only next or even ahead of Florida.

I see it as a great money maker, if tourists can go from Disneyland or Hollywood - to Fisherman's Warf or Chinatown in SF within an hr or 2 !
Don't tell mewhat California is, I live here moose breath!!

No I'm not a fortune teller, I'm a realist. I see the trains go by.....the Metrolink and the Amtrak....nearly empty. What makes Brown Betty think anyone will ride a damn train??

The trains we have now are about bankrupt.......so throw more money out there for more trains....sounds like an Obama plan to me!! Failure.

Guess what.....when they get to their destination, they are going to want a car. Easier just to drive youself to the destination.

We may be a tourist state but there's a whole lot, whole lot of nothing in between big cities.
We don't have Nells to tie up to the tracks!

klein

No I'm not a fortune teller, I'm a realist. I see the trains go by.....the Metrolink and the Amtrak....nearly empty. What makes Brown Betty think anyone will ride a damn train??

The trains we have now are about bankrupt.......so throw more money out there for more trains....sounds like an Obama plan to me!! Failure.

Guess what.....when they get to their destination, they are going to want a car. Easier just to drive youself to the destination.

We may be a tourist state but there's a whole lot, whole lot of nothing in between big cities.

I flew into LAX twice for long weekend trips. Didn't need a car at all !
Hotel pick up and drop off from/to airport. Hotel had free shuttle service to St.Monica Beach (daily).
And, I took one of those day tours shuttle busses, that costed just around $30, but showed you the entire city, with many drop offs, at Disneyland, the Opera Center, downtown, Hollywood BLVD, Rodeo Drive, Sunset Rd, and more that I can't remember.
Was well worth it !

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I am sure the same arguments were made when propeller driven airplanes were going to be replaced by jets.

Peace

TOS

klein

Gee, tell me about the part where you took THE TRAIN !!!!!

I would next time (with high speed train), and then fly back from SF instead.

Would be kinda like visiting Disneyworld in Orlando, and having a highspeed train to Ft Lauderdale/ Maimi and maybe right into Keywest.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I know that you know this moreluck but the headline is misleading. California didn't approve the funding, they only took advantage of a voter backed authorization to issue bonds to do this project. The funding for when the bonds come due....., well that will be some future administration's problem.
I hope the whole idea just vanishes. With cities going bankrupt, there are more important things to spend money on.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Tell your friend, TOS that. He seems ecstatic to ride the choo choo!!

Listen, this state is overpopulated, its highways, roads and freeways JAMMED everyday of the week. More and more people come here every year and cause our freeways to have to be retrofitted wider and still its bumper to bumper.

High speed travel from nor cal to so cal is a great idea to clear our freeways of traffic. In addition, a rail system to and from las vegas would bring billions in revenue to our state. The savings in consumption of crude oil would also go down tremendously in this state and that will help our air quality which is the WORSE in the country, or maybe you enjoy cancerous smog in our air?

Every other modernized country has high speed rail to move its citizens. We are the only country that continues to WASTE oil because we have people who support political parties that would rather increase our consumption of crude oil to keep OIL companies earnings in the astronomical range vs changing the way we travel.

You would like to compare high speed rail to metrolink, or the red line, or to amtrak, but thats apples to oranges. In New York or chicago, rail is a huge part of everyday travel, Los Angeles should be no different.

Maybe you would be singing a different tune if San Clemente looked like this everyday, eh?
los-angeles-smog_274_600x450.jpg

smog460x276.jpg

Or maybe you think cancer in this country ( the worse in the world) is just a coincidence and the air has nothing to do with it?

Peace

TOS