Call in to see if you are working

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Basically their is no language giving an amount of times to call in. Once I have another person under me on the seniority list I will get 8 hours pay even if I work 2.

I haven't gotten in touch with my BA yet, but I think that what your BA told you is the way the language is interpreted, but I also think that interpretation needs to be challenged. The section prior to the on call driver section says all drivers with seniority are guaranteed 8 if they are put to work. People who show up and aren't put to work get 4 hours of show up pay if they weren't told not to come in the day before.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Basically their is no language giving an amount of times to call in. Once I have another person under me on the seniority list I will get 8 hours pay even if I work 2.

I have been told that there was a panel decision that caused the language to be interpreted as your BA told you. I have asked for a copy of the decision, because it creates a contradiction between the two sections of the article, and they have had to add and ignore language in order to enforce it the way they are.

From the way it was explained to me, the only part from the on call driver section they are even enforcing is the 4 hour guarantee, except they are ignoring the part saying lowest two dispatched, and enforcing it as lowest two in the seniority list. They agree that being on call entitles you to 4 hours of pay, working or not, but that the company isn't actually putting anyone on call, and they can only enforce the 4 hours of pay if the company begins disciplining for failure to call or failure to answer the phone.

They are nullifying the entirety of section 3, except the 4 hour guarantee, and the way they are enforcing it contradicts section 2. The way it was explained to me, though, is that you are not actually required to call in. If you show up and are not put to work, they owe you four hours, unless they told you there would be no work the day before. I'm interested to see the panel decision, because the way it is being enforced doesn't make any sense.