Call in to see if you are working

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 1stgear, Aug 16, 2019.

1. 1stgear

1stgear Member

how many times do you have call in to see if you work in a day?
    I called in 4 times today...

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

How long you been there?

3. 1stgear

1stgear Member

4 months as an RPCD. I get calling in, but is it reasonable to call in 4 times? 7:30,8:00, 9:15 and 11:00?

4. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

What state are you in?
    What has managment told you?

5. 1stgear

1stgear Member

I’m in Oregon. Management hasn’t said anything except asked me to call at x:xx. I imagine the union has some sort of say in how many times they can have us call? I don’t mint calling a couple times, or having extra days off, but I don’t like sitting around from 7 am-11am not knowing if I am working

6. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I used to have to do that in my first year. But once 9am came, there was no way I was coming in.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. 1stgear

1stgear Member

Yeah, I don’t mind running missloads and air shuttle work, easy money, but calling in that much is too much imo.

8. 542thruNthru

One last question. Do you know what local you are?

9. 1stgear

1stgear Member

I believe 162

10. 542thruNthru

Which is it 342 or 162? How did you mix those two numbers up?

11. KoennenTiger

KoennenTiger Active Member

I suggest you stop calling and just start showing up in the morning in uniform. Let mngmt know you are there to work and ready to go. Yes there are going to be a few days you go home but back when I was tcd I just showed up and ended up doing something almost every day. Sometimes that something was driving to another center, but I'd be doing it in a package car and clocked in.

Just start showing up in the morning. Don't call in, walk right up to your on road and let him know you're ready to work.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. 1stgear

1stgear Member

162 lol. Sorry. I pay dues just don’t remember.

13. 1stgear

1stgear Member

That is one way to go about it.

14. 542thruNthru

http://www.teamsters162.com

Scroll down. Your contracts are on your local website.

15. 542thruNthru

Screenshot_20190816-210035_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Attached Files:

16. KoennenTiger

KoennenTiger Active Member

Just show up. Heck after everyone is dispatched hang around for a bit. I mean you'll get used to it anyway and once you're a bid driver or high senority cover guy you'll be working every day anyway.

Hang out. You'll be running LIB. You'll be shuttling air. You'll run blown out trucks leftovers. You'll be running misloads between guys. You'll be there to run a route when a guy no shows or calls out late, or when the FTer fcks up and doesn't schedule a cover guy for a route. That happens.

Heck sometimes they'd just put me to work moving carts around and stacking boxes in the hub for a few hours. Sometimes after that they'd send me out to help bid guys.

Don't call in. Show up ready to go.

17. Brownslave688

Wow. I’ve never see actual on call language. That sucks

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. 1stgear

1stgear Member

I guess no specific language on amount of times they can require me to call to see if I work...

19. My first two months as cover my sup told me to call in on Mondays since the route I was training on was cut on Mondays, after it was known they were passing me I just started showing up and they'd put me on routes in neighboring areas.

Callin' in after you pass packet just makes you look lazy IMO.

Show up, if they don't need you, go home or learn a new route in the jump seat with another driver.

20. Brownslave688

Actually it says they will give you a start time by noon.

I don’t see anywhere that it says you need to call in. They should call you if they need you