Calling in w/ advance notice

hegro

Full time driver, central.

So in the past when I know in advance that I will be calling into work I will let one of my supervisors know. Usually have called in on Saturdays and want them to potentially find another driver to work so nobody gets too screwed over. Completely not necessary and maybe on the stupid side but I have done it. Has never been an issue before.

Anyways told one if my supervisors I would be calling in in a few days. He obviously doesn't want me to call in and says it will be job abandonment and will be looking at serious consequences primarily because I discussed it with him ahead of time.

I have learned my lesson and will never do that again. Was looking through the contract and just wanted to make sure I was in the clear? Job abandonment only applies to showing up to work and leaving before your workload is complete, correct? Thanks.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I have learned my lesson and will never do that again. Was looking through the contract and just wanted to make sure I was in the clear? Job abandonment only applies to showing up to work and leaving before your workload is complete, correct? Thanks.
never tell a supervisor that you will be calling off ..just call in 1 hr prior. MANAGEMENT IS THE ENEMY , TREAT THEM AS SUCH ! (@Maple Grove MN Driver copywrite)

hegro

never tell a supervisor that you will be calling off ..just call in 1 hr prior. MANAGEMENT IS THE ENEMY , TREAT THEM AS SUCH ! (@Maple Grove MN Driver copywrite)

I understand they are the enemy. Genuinely just thinking of the few other poor souls who get stuck out for 12-13 hours on Saturdays because they don't give a :censored2:. I know I shouldn't either.

What did you really expect the Sup to say?

I mean I knew they weren't going to be happy. Just giving them the heads up. Have done it in the past, idk. Like I said will never do it again. Oh well.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Call in and dont play nice anymore, did you think they were going to thank you for the heads up and say were so grateful you told us you cant come in because your busy with you life. I'm glad you have learned your lesson, I have heard from my union steward that you can not call in on a day that you requested off that got denied. My guess is that you will be alright, but dont push the issue and just call in from now on.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
I like to play it like this.

I’ve got an appointment on Tuesday I must attend. Can I have the day off?

If they say no then call in exactly 1 hour before your shift and book off. The next time you have something you need to do don’t ask. Book off exactly one hour before your shift begins. Continue alternating between asking and just booking off exactly one hour before your shift begins. Don’t abuse days off, eventually they will realize you’re taking the day either way and they’ll grant it so they don’t have to scramble one hour before your shift starts.

It got to the point where if I asked they’d tell me to book off an hour before the shift, they stopped telling me no altogether. If staffing technically didn’t allow them to grant the day, they knew the call was coming regardless.

Last edited:

MendozaJ

Informed my sup days ahead of time that I had an appointment for minor surgery. He said, “Can’t you schedule it on the weekend?”

Inform them at least two hours prior to start time, and provide no details. That’s it.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
If you tell a supervisor beforehand in person that you're not going to be there the next day, be sure you say it out loud with another hourly as a witness. I'M GOING TO BE OFF TOMORROW, RIGHT?. I had a dispatcher forget one time and told his boss I was a no call, no show just to cover HIS ass. I got called into the manager's office the next morning to be disciplined. My witness said he heard me tell the dispatcher and dispatcher acknowledge it. Dispatcher got his arse in a crack over it. Also, I called in once about an hour and a half before start. Dispatcher (same one) said I didn't give 1 hr notice. Always call on a cell so you have a time stamp if you need one as proof.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Full time driver, central.

So in the past when I know in advance that I will be calling into work I will let one of my supervisors know. Usually have called in on Saturdays and want them to potentially find another driver to work so nobody gets too screwed over. Completely not necessary and maybe on the stupid side but I have done it. Has never been an issue before.

Anyways told one if my supervisors I would be calling in in a few days. He obviously doesn't want me to call in and says it will be job abandonment and will be looking at serious consequences primarily because I discussed it with him ahead of time.

All you newbies heed this warning. Keep your mouth shut always! Don't miss work as a habit. When you really do need off-CALL IN. Never trust Management on this. Never.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Informed my sup days ahead of time that I had an appointment for minor surgery. He said, “Can’t you schedule it on the weekend?”

Inform them at least two hours prior to start time, and provide no details. That’s it.
We had a center manager blast a long time driver for taking a day off for a regular check up. Said he had 6 weeks of vacation and needed to use that time for doctors appointments. Blah blah blah. This guy was the reason everyone was screwed that day and sups were working.

I talked to the driver a few weeks later. They had begged him to cancel the appointment twice already and come to work. He did but if he canceled a 3rd time the doctor would drop him as a patient.

To sum it up. They are never prepared. So do what you need to do whenever is convenient for you.