Cameras coming to FedEx Ground Trucks

Oldfart

I'm sure customers just love late freight too.
I bet 75% or more customers don't even know what time their package is SUPPOSED to be delivered. Couldn't even tell you how many times I have had residential SOS customers tell me they thought I would be there AT 7pm. Or how many times I was asked if the P1 was supposed to be there at 10am. The few lates I have are always there by 1045 to 1100 am. It has been a long time since I have had a customer complain about a late delivery.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What do you mean by just out of reach? How high is too high?

As for them being too low, it's up to your manager to adjust the goal up or down to reflect changes on your route. Examples include a new housing or business development that generates lots of stop volume in a fairly small geographic area, the addition (or loss) of high volume stops that require(d) a lot of time to process, a major long-term construction project that eats up a significant amount of time, the addition/loss of an outlier stop (or stops) that are (were) frequent enough to have an impact on your monthly SPH total, gaining/losing overflow from/to another route, and so on.

There's no perfect way to calculate what SPH should be. The most common reasons (in my experience, at least) for it being significantly out of whack one way or the other are that it hasn't been adjusted to reflect changes in the route and courier complacency or habit.

I'm sure they exist. I've been on many checkrides and seen safe, courteous couriers and swings make fools out of established SPH goals. Nine times out of ten they were simply better organized and worked quicker.

Then there are those swings who never, ever "get" it...
You don't have the perspective of the courier. Goals are set, whether by manager or ROADS, there is no change in the route, but simply because the courier can meet or exceed those goals, they are raised until they can no longer be met. Then the courier is harassed because a swing, who ignores Best Practices, can meet them. Does that mean they are attainable? Yes, but at the expense of safety. Then "safety" becomes lip service by Corporate. This is the number 1 complaint from couriers, and P-S-P becomes hogwash. Nothing you can say can spin it into something legitimate and logical.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Slow couriers always beat the hell out of the "customer service" drum and think that if you don't have any lates it shouldn't matter how much you milk the clock.

You're delivering a package. What does the typical customer want? They want it on time and they want the courier to be friendly and professional. Couriers who make the kinds of complaints about quantifiable measures of performance that you're making in the name of "customer service" tend to be slow.
Well Mr. Knowitall....prove it.

Where's the double standard? Should they also be held accountable for lates that aren't their fault, too?
If you can't see the double standard and someone needs to explain it to you, you're just well....hopeless. Then again we already knew that.

A lot don't care.
Or so you think.

Package volume is still growing, so I guess everyone hates FedEx, LOL!
You're talking Ground and we're talking Express. You must have drank your lunch too fast to keep up.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I bet 75% or more customers don't even know what time their package is SUPPOSED to be delivered. Couldn't even tell you how many times I have had residential SOS customers tell me they thought I would be there AT 7pm. Or how many times I was asked if the P1 was supposed to be there at 10am. The few lates I have are always there by 1045 to 1100 am. It has been a long time since I have had a customer complain about a late delivery.
You're full of crap too.

Over disciplined0123

I ran the most demanding and pkg heavy route in our building for 10 yrs. It split 3x, and yes it was still the heaviest route every year. I'm glad I am not doing it anymore. 55 boxes of David's Bridal, no thanks.

As a manager, I'd never do that to any of my drivers. Ever. Our system works, it really does.
Why the hell are fed ex managers on our ups website called Brown Cafe.. Start your own website and also we need all your employees to sign a union card

vantexan

You don't have the perspective of the courier. Goals are set, whether by manager or ROADS, there is no change in the route, but simply because the courier can meet or exceed those goals, they are raised until they can no longer be met. Then the courier is harassed because a swing, who ignores Best Practices, can meet them. Does that mean they are attainable? Yes, but at the expense of safety. Then "safety" becomes lip service by Corporate. This is the number 1 complaint from couriers, and P-S-P becomes hogwash. Nothing you can say can spin it into something legitimate and logical.
Careful now, Dano will label you hopeless! :)

vantexan

When he knows more than me that might be possible.

Hey Tex, Did you ever figure out what MIDRANGE means?
Yeah, FedEx gave 2% raises to MIDRANGE employees. That's everyone who wasn't topped out or newly hired. So I guess you're wrong again. Even Dano knew that.