Cameras coming to FedEx Ground Trucks

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
ROADS doesn't set goals.

You're going with the assumption that swings who nuke goals aren't working safely.

he's only being asked to fix one deficiency, and he's not being asked to do a lot in order to close the gap.
DRA builds the route and stop order. If the engineer who set up ROADS is (in my
experience) incompetent, then WAD is a setup for failure. Goals can't be accomplished.

I made no assumptions regarding swings because I WAS one, followed the rules, and knew what my fellow swings did in violation of those rules.

Lazy or incompetent managers were as responsible for 'deficiencies' as the couriers. One example was our station route&number restructure. I consistently beat my goals by 5% before the change. After, I couldn't hit 85% of goal, with no change to the route except route number. Took them 6 months to figure out they left the previous goals of the route number in place.

My point is, the courier always gets blamed when that's not always the reality. Management passes the buck, mostly because they're cowards or incompetent themselves.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Hey Fred? Who is the ignorant one now?

capish
capish
(kəˈpiʃ)
in. to understand. (Usually as a question. From an Italian dialect.) The matter is settled. No more talk. Capish?
CAPISCE
verb - transitive
  • to understand. Used as a question. Pronounced colloquially as "ka-PEESH", and frequently misspelled capish, capeesh, kapish, etc.
So, you're still ignorant, capisce?

vantexan

ROADS doesn't set goals.

If a courier is consistently exceeding the goal, then the goal is too low.

You're going with the assumption that swings who nuke goals aren't working safely. If you're a courier whose route was smoked by a swing, go to you manager and explain which practices he did that were unsafe.

Here's an example of what I've usually found. Sixty stop route. Courier missing his goal by 25 minutes. "I'm doing the best I can." Spends about a minute talking at most of his business stops. Stops at a gas station for a drink and a snack - 3 minutes. Spends 10 minutes looking for packages, working around poorly sorted packages, and re-sorting them. Breaks route to deliver an afternoon stop as early as he can because it's for his buddy/he has a crush on the receptionist/whatever and he wants to take care of him/her - 5 minutes out of the way.

Right there you have 18 minutes of time that he's wasting (plus his chit-chat time at some stops) from a guy who's doing the best he can, or so he says. This is an easy fix.

I push him to do a better job of sorting his truck because that reduces a 25 minute issue to a 15 minute issue. If he does that and cuts an average of 20 seconds from each stop, he's beating his goal. He can cut that 20 seconds just by walking at a brisker pace (and he can also cut out some of the other stuff I listed). "Sort your truck better and give us just a few seconds at each stop and you're in the clear." It's my opinion that you fix the most egregious deficiency and ask for however many seconds per stop to make up the rest.

In this scenario he still gets to do the things he likes, his work isn't being nitpicked, he's only being asked to fix one deficiency, and he's not being asked to do a lot in order to close the gap.

It's fairer to the courier that way and most seemed to appreciate having it presented in that manner.
Dirty Little Secret #482: Dano likes to show how he can improve courier efficiency. What's the goal, keeping those couriers from taking smoke breaks or stopping for a coke? Get them off the road earlier? Most couriers most days make it to their last pup and get back to the building on time, unless slammed. So why eliminate smoke and bathroom breaks, etc? Ultimately to take on more stops so that more can be done with less personnel. He talks about courier stupidity. He was giving this great advice to couriers when they were busting their ass and having their pension taken away, being given minimal raises. What is stupid is humping for a company that wants more, more, more for less and less. Why would people want to push themselves to the limit every day with no reward?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Dirty Little Secret #482: Dano likes to show how he can improve courier efficiency. What's the goal, keeping those couriers from taking smoke breaks or stopping for a coke? Get them off the road earlier? Most couriers most days make it to their last pup and get back to the building on time, unless slammed. So why eliminate smoke and bathroom breaks, etc? Ultimately to take on more stops so that more can be done with less personnel. He talks about courier stupidity. He was giving this great advice to couriers when they were busting their ass and having their pension taken away, being given minimal raises. What is stupid is humping for a company that wants more, more, more for less and less. Why would people want to push themselves to the limit every day with no reward?
With this kind of approach, it’s pretty clear that Dano has no idea how to work with PEOPLE. He thinks they should all perform like race horses.

vantexan

With this kind of approach, it’s pretty clear that Dano has no idea how to work with PEOPLE. He thinks they should all perform like race horses.
And eventually racehorses get out out to pasture when they no longer can perform at the highest level.

Oldfart

I don't smoke. Do I get to pull over 4 or 5 times a day and do nothing like a person that stops and smokes 4 or 5 cigarettes each day?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Memphis Kool-Aid poisoning like no other. Too late for a cure for your sorry ass. The way you defend this company is definite proof you never left. You such a liar.

You still haven't proved it either and acting like a third grader isn't helping here at all Jethro.

"Cactus, why did you have a late today?"

"BAKAWZ THAR WAZ A LATE PLANE YISTERDEE!!!"

59 Dano

DRA builds the route and stop order. If the engineer who set up ROADS is (in my
experience) incompetent, then WAD is a setup for failure. Goals can't be accomplished.

Ah, I didn't do much work with DRA. But still, goals are determined by humans, not ROADS. All ROADS does is put stops on routes and, in the case of DRA, put them in an order.

I made no assumptions regarding swings because I WAS one, followed the rules, and knew what my fellow swings did in violation of those rules.

Lazy or incompetent managers were as responsible for 'deficiencies' as the couriers.

I don't completely disagree with that. As I stated in another post, a manager (or senior) needs to update goals to reflect changes in stops/volume on a route.

59 Dano

Dirty Little Secret #482: Dano likes to show how he can improve courier efficiency. What's the goal, keeping those couriers from taking smoke breaks or stopping for a coke? Get them off the road earlier?

Well, had you read the post THAT YOU'RE ANSWERING, it was spelled out there.

Most couriers most days make it to their last pup and get back to the building on time, unless slammed. So why eliminate smoke and bathroom breaks, etc?

Who said anything about eliminating bathroom breaks? As far as smoke breaks, if you aren't making goal, why are you standing around inhaling poison?

Ultimately to take on more stops so that more can be done with less personnel. He talks about courier stupidity. He was giving this great advice to couriers when they were busting their ass and having their pension taken away, being given minimal raises. What is stupid is humping for a company that wants more, more, more for less and less. Why would people want to push themselves to the limit every day with no reward?

Great logic, van. "My pension was taken away, therefore I shouldn't be required to properly load my truck." It's no surprise that you're the success that you've become.

59 Dano

It says a lot about you when you think I was grinding people down because I asked them to load their trucks in stop order.