Cameras coming to FedEx Ground Trucks

bbsam

Staff member
Yes you're making money but I don't have the embarrassment of putting a War and Peace size set of demands in front of a prospective hire and in the end have to present him with a humiliating compensation package while praying to the box gods that he will take the offer because there simply is no one else and that that person will still have to meet with X's approval . And given the thousand plus contractors who have ads on just one of the major job boards all begging for help at ridiculously low wages I simply can't see how this situation is going to do anything accept get worse. And unfortunately you contractors are trapped right in the middle of what would appear to be a deteriorating labor situation.
We’ll see.

Lately the company is striking a different tone locally. I think corporate may just be realizing the labor market tightening and is just trying to get safe drivers to stay. That’s where these cameras are trying to head. Straight out of the MD’s mouth last week was that the turnover of drivers due to safety concerns is getting out of control. This is a method that has line haul and switchers driving more safely and that helps wit retention.

You really needn’t concern yourself with other though.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Let’s all just be glad that it’s a problem that you can sit back and blow out of proportion in your overactive imagination while the rest of us are making money.

Don't understand why people go out of their way to lose sleep over problems that they don't have.

vantexan

Everything bothers you. I try not to stress over the little things. It just isn't worth worrying if you are doing more work than the next guy.
I was a swing at this one station. Guy had a glorified part time rt, never took a split, got 44-45 hrs a week. When I ran it I was getting 2 and 3 hr splits because the work just wasn't there. That's about 7 weeks in the time I was there. Another drove 20 minutes to his home, took a 30 minute break, drove back 20 minutes. Before coming back to station he'd do it again. Usually got off 1830-1900 but when I and other swings covered it we were off 1630-1700. And weren't killing ourselves to do that. I could go on and on with examples. These guys were rarely come down on. But those of us that hustled were always pushed to do more. The company didn't reward hard work.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Actually, the company does have cameras on their people. Everywhere. The switchers? Yep cameras in there monitoring everything. Management level? Let’s just say things like computer use is monitored and productivity tracked.

The point I was making is that if people want to be commercial drivers, they will simply adapt to the cameras. Hopefully, if contractors use the cameras as tools, they will address the problems that occur before accidents happen and they become better drivers.
Not scared either. Yawn
I don’t get the uproar, just do what you have to do management driver or not just do the damn work

bacha29

We’ll see.

Lately the company is striking a different tone locally. I think corporate may just be realizing the labor market tightening and is just trying to get safe drivers to stay. That’s where these cameras are trying to head. Straight out of the MD’s mouth last week was that the turnover of drivers due to safety concerns is getting out of control. This is a method that has line haul and switchers driving more safely and that helps wit retention.

You really needn’t concern yourself with other though.
Thank you and this is the point I'm trying to make , the question of what impact the installation of video recording equipment could have on driver retention in sparsely populated areas.
In areas where you drive 3 blocks and in those 3 blocks you could engage more people that the population of entire counties in my region where you drive for miles and are lucky if you see another person. In areas such as those the last thing you want to do is to discourage people from applying for driver jobs and despite whatever benefit they have to offer their existence is something some potential applicants are certain to find unacceptable as a matter of principle.
For example a portion of my service area included a 300 square mile rural school district that has gone from 9 elementary schools down to 1. That's how badly the population is washing out. In fact as a result the state has cut that district's funding appropriation which is based on enrollment by 62%.
Contractors in those kind of places are fighting a losing battle when comes to building a dependable labor force because of the shrinking pool of prime working age adults Tougher rules and tighter constraints could make a challenging situation an impossible situation.

Oldfart

I was a swing at this one station. Guy had a glorified part time rt, never took a split, got 44-45 hrs a week. When I ran it I was getting 2 and 3 hr splits because the work just wasn't there. That's about 7 weeks in the time I was there. Another drove 20 minutes to his home, took a 30 minute break, drove back 20 minutes. Before coming back to station he'd do it again. Usually got off 1830-1900 but when I and other swings covered it we were off 1630-1700. And weren't killing ourselves to do that. I could go on and on with examples. These guys were rarely come down on. But those of us that hustled were always pushed to do more. The company didn't reward hard work.
Oh my. Still complaining about events that happened 10 or 15 years ago.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If route can consistently support X stops per hour, why is there an issue when the goal for that route is raised to X stope per hour?
How about if X can pay a courier $20 an hour, then why is there an issue if the courier wants $22 an hour since he or she is doing more work?

MAKAVELI

Truth-be-told, I’d love to have a dash cam in my truck. I really don’t get why I need one pointed at me however.
I don't think they're going to be putting cameras in our trucks anytime soon. They should be just completing putting GPS units in every truck. I think this is a move with ground because of grounds High rate of accidents.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
How about if X can pay a courier $20 an hour, then why is there an issue if the courier wants $22 an hour since he or she is doing more work?

You're assuming that the courier is worth $22 and that the company can afford to pay him $22.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I pulled the micro sd card to check if my dash cam is still working... format are in ".avi" & the latest windows video player can't play them now?!?

Ugh, it was working before the computers auto updated to whatever...

Sweet, other people are experiencing this same problem.

Edit : found the solution

Google play store, VLC program is working fine now.

Last edited:

overflowed

Truth-be-told, I’d love to have a dash cam in my truck. I really don’t get why I need one pointed at me however.
I got the dash cam plus two cameras watching me. One from the right side view mirror area and one directly above me aimed at my feet. They pay me well so I don't really care.

dvalleyjim

ok, my isp sent a truck out. Front wheel fell off. Another dropped a driveshaft. I now drive one with a cracked manifold so fumes come in the cab and the drivetrain makes low, roaring sound. I've told them, wrote it up but can't put the defect on end of day with out peeing off owner. This is a lot of ISP's. Not only are the drivers unprofessional. This is why I don't consider myself a real driver because I don't work for a real company!

bacha29

ok, my isp sent a truck out. Front wheel fell off. Another dropped a driveshaft. I now drive one with a cracked manifold so fumes come in the cab and the drivetrain makes low, roaring sound. I've told them, wrote it up but can't put the defect on end of day with out peeing off owner. This is a lot of ISP's. Not only are the drivers unprofessional. This is why I don't consider myself a real driver because I don't work for a real company!
Typical ISP maintenance protocol .....Don't fix it when it's broke...fix it when it quits running.
As long as it has a nice paint job . You know that all important "Appearance Standard".
It's a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution. Yours is to pick it up here haul it over there and put it own someplace in the vicinity.
And never forget.....the dumber you act the less they expect from you, which brings your performance into balance with the money you're being paid.