Cameras in Trucks

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
It is good for you if you drive properly. If every rough set of train tracks shows you paying attention and driving safely it’s evidence in your favor. It’s a great training tool for drivers that aren’t always attentive.
I’m pretty attentive out there anyway, and I actually would welcome having a forward-facing dashcam. But this set-up as it has been described to us, I find a bit unsettling.
Time will tell, I guess. If they start handing out cash BZs for every time they observe us avoid a major crash that some clown tries to initiate, then I might actually appreciate it. Don’t see that happening though.

It will be fine

I’m pretty attentive out there anyway, and I actually would welcome having a forward-facing dashcam. But this set-up as it has been described to us, I find a bit unsettling.
Time will tell, I guess. If they start handing out cash BZs for every time they observe us avoid a major crash that some clown tries to initiate, then I might actually appreciate it. Don’t see that happening though.
It will depend a lot on what vendor they use. The g-force triggers get reviewed by a person and they pass along the video of the ones that require additional training follow up. So if you’re on your phone the video gets sent to management. If you just hit a pothole the reviewer will mark it as nothing and not pass it along. I’m sure at the start management will want to see everything but they’ll quickly tire of it. Some vendors will be easy for them to access all the data, some are more of a bother.

vantexan

It will depend a lot on what vendor they use. The g-force triggers get reviewed by a person and they pass along the video of the ones that require additional training follow up. So if you’re on your phone the video gets sent to management. If you just hit a pothole the reviewer will mark it as nothing and not pass it along. I’m sure at the start management will want to see everything but they’ll quickly tire of it. Some vendors will be easy for them to access all the data, some are more of a bother.
You can bet it a mgr has it out for a particular courier he will be scrutinizing video on said courier.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
It’s not just Fedex. The entire industry is headed in this direction in the next decade.
Yep, and the industry is already having a tough enough time attracting new blood to the field. They’d better step up that automated truck development - pronto.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
maxresdefault.jpg
.......oh NO i just want royalties , just saving time from not looking for a real bathroom.

vantexan

And if a particular courier is following procedure, a mgr will be sorely disappointed.
And if mgrs pay attention to the ones they have a personal beef with instead of everybody? Yeah that's going to work out well. You don't allow for the human factor with mgrs, but always see the failings of couriers.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Yes, this is for RTDs only (for the moment). Every jolt, every swerve, every hard brake or acceleration will send an alert to the safety goons who will be able to view an instant replay as to what took place during the moments leading up to, including, and after the “event”. Of course they sold it as being “really a very good thing” for us. Mm hmm, yes indeed, I’m sure it will be nothing but wonderful.

They posted "disappointing results" for the 3rd quarter, but I'm sure they'll have plenty of money (millions of dollars) to make sure every truck has these cameras installed in them. Probably no raises this year due to the disappointing results, but plenty of money for cameras. Inward facing cameras is not something drivers want. I can go along with outside facing, but in facing will get abused. I can pretty much bet that people will be viewing drivers without their knowledge-just for fun. "Hey let's see what Joe is up to" and turn it on without him knowing and they'll be laughing away. It's happened at other companies. I heard about a different company had a husband wife team and had driver facing cameras in their OTR truck. People monitoring the cameras would watch and record the couple having sex in the sleeper. I believe they even passed around some of the videos. The couple caught wind and sued that company for invasion of privacy. The company no longer uses driver facing cameras as a result of that lawsuit. But I guarantee you the inward facing will get abused. The driver doesn't know when he's being watched so it can happen all the time.

But yeah I read the announcement. It's full of lies and BS to sell it to drivers. It will give "coaching opportunities" (aka "come to my office") as a great thing to look forward to having! Oh and it will also "recognize safe driving." I'm calling BS on that. It's only going to be used to criticize drivers. If this is such a wonderful thing to have do all the FedEx pilots have front facing cameras in the cockpits? I mean it is all about safety after all. Those jets need outward and inward facing cameras as well so pilots can get "coaching opportunities" too. Somehow I have a feeling they're exempt from such harassment. They are in too high of a demand (even more than truck drivers) and they have a union.

Last edited:

It will be fine

They posted "disappointing results" for the 3rd quarter, but I'm sure they'll have plenty of money (millions of dollars) to make sure every truck has these cameras installed in them. Probably no raises this year due to the disappointing results, but plenty of money for cameras. Inward facing cameras is not something drivers want. I can go along with outside facing, but in facing will get abused. I can pretty much bet that people will be viewing drivers without their knowledge-just for fun. "Hey let's see what Joe is up to" and turn it on without him knowing and they'll be laughing away. It's happened at other companies. I heard about a different company had a husband wife team and had driver facing cameras in their OTR truck. People monitoring the cameras would watch and record the couple having sex in the sleeper. I believe they even passed around some of the videos. The couple caught wind and sued that company for invasion of privacy. The company no longer uses driver facing cameras as a result of that lawsuit. But I guarantee you the inward facing will get abused. The driver doesn't know when he's being watched so it can happen all the time.

But yeah I read the announcement. It's full of lies and BS to sell it to drivers. It will give "coaching opportunities" (aka "come to my office") as a great thing to look forward to having! Oh and it will also "recognize safe driving." I'm calling BS on that. It's only going to be used to criticize drivers. If this is such a wonderful thing to have do all the FedEx pilots have front facing cameras in the cockpits? I mean it is all about safety after all. Those jets need outward and inward facing cameras as well so pilots can get "coaching opportunities" too. Somehow I have a feeling they're exempt from such harassment. They are in too high of a demand (even more than truck drivers) and they have a union.
That’s some next level nonsense. Everything pilots do is recorded already. A car isn’t going to swerve in front of a plane in the air.
Driving is boring enough, what type of lunatic is entertained watching someone else drive?

Serf

Chain Smoking, looking at your power pad, not wearing a seatbelt, with the bulk head door. Trying not to have lates. Perhaps a mass purge is coming...

vantexan

Chain Smoking, looking at your power pad, not wearing a seatbelt, with the bulk head door. Trying not to have lates. Perhaps a mass purge is coming...
After everyone stops carrying freight up front with them and productivity goes way own they'll pull the cameras.

fedx

Extra Large Package
That’s some next level nonsense. Everything pilots do is recorded already. A car isn’t going to swerve in front of a plane in the air.
Driving is boring enough, what type of lunatic is entertained watching someone else drive?

Trucks and cars also have "black boxes" that record events in the event of an accident. So why is it "some next level nonsense" in your corporate mind? You support inward facing cameras-why? Give a good reason why they need to watch you drive? And who is going to watch someone else? Whomever monitors those cameras. Did you not read what I said about that husband/wife team who were recorded having sex? Do you think those inward facing cameras feeds don't go somewhere? Your manager, for one, will be able to watch you. And what's so entertaining about it? People picking their nose, singing, or whatever knowing that the driver doesn't know he's being watched is entertaining enough. Obviously you don't know how most people are. There is an element of entertainment knowing the other person doesn't know you're watching them.

So you're saying pilots already have inward facing cameras on them? You said everything they do is recorded already. Why is it good enough for a driver, but not good enough for a pilot if they don't already have inward facing cameras? Those trucks already have everything recorded too in their computer system and black box. Why does a truck driver need an inward facing camera, but not a pilot? And yes, planes to have near misses in the air more often than you think. Planes cross paths and oftentimes miss each other by hundreds of yards. So the jets should have both inward and outward facing cameras as well. It is "all about safety" after all.

Last edited: