Cameras in Trucks

It will be fine

Trucks and cars also have "black boxes" that record events in the event of an accident. So why is it "some next level nonsense" in your corporate mind? You support inward facing cameras-why? Give a good reason why they need to watch you drive? And who is going to watch someone else? Whomever monitors those cameras. Did you not read what I said about that husband/wife team who were recorded having sex? Do you think those inward facing cameras feeds don't go somewhere? Your manager, for one, will be able to watch you. And what's so entertaining about it? People picking their nose, singing, or whatever knowing that the driver doesn't know he's being watched is entertaining enough. Obviously you don't know how most people are. There is an element of entertainment knowing the other person doesn't know you're watching them.

So you're saying pilots already have inward facing cameras on them? You said everything they do is recorded already. Why is it good enough for a driver, but not good enough for a pilot if they don't already have inward facing cameras? Those trucks already have everything recorded too in their computer system and black box. Why does a truck driver need an inward facing camera, but not a pilot? And yes, planes to have near misses in the air more often than you think. Planes cross paths and oftentimes miss each other by hundreds of yards. So the jets should have both inward and outward facing cameras as well. It is "all about safety" after all.
When cameras are installed, safety results improve. That’s the reason they are being used. Plane crashes are not anywhere near as frequent as car crashes. The comparison is absurd.

As for people watching you, it will depend on the vendor. Most only forward the video of g-force events that require follow up. No one cares if you pick your nose, you’re not that interesting.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
When cameras are installed, safety results improve. That’s the reason they are being used. Plane crashes are not anywhere near as frequent as car crashes. The comparison is absurd.

As for people watching you, it will depend on the vendor. Most only forward the video of g-force events that require follow up. No one cares if you pick your nose, you’re not that interesting.
Says someone who has never worked for FedEx Express.

fedx

Extra Large Package

It's "absurd" when talking about improving safety. There is no reason why a jet pilot cannot have a camera watching him too. It shouldn't matter how much rarer a jet crashes. "If it could save one life" is the usual response we get, so pilots should have cameras watching them so they can receive "coaching opportunities" just like the truck drivers.

And again, you claim nobody is watching you, but I gave you an example of a couple who were being watched having sex and they sued their company as a result. That company no longer uses inward facing cameras. So maybe you won't watch people, but you can't speak for everyone else that might.

fedx

Extra Large Package

One way to test your theory that nobody is watching you is simple. Put a piece of paper over the camera so they can't watch you while you're on duty. If they don't ask you if you're doing something to block the camera, then you'll know they aren't watching you. However, if they do ask you about it, well then you'll know they are watching you while you're in the vehicle. That's an easy way to find out.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
“Yes, we’re going to go to all this expense to install cameras in all these vehicles pointed right at your faces, but don’t worry none - we’re not going to be watching you - honest” :ninja2:

overflowed

Just for your interest in this subject. When my work first put these in our equipment they said the same thing. Don't worry about it. It's just for coaching and training. It is used for discipline almost exclusively now.

It will be fine

Just for your interest in this subject. When my work first put these in our equipment they said the same thing. Don't worry about it. It's just for coaching and training. It is used for discipline almost exclusively now.
Well, if the triggering events show a driver on their phone and he gets coached on that behavior, discipline is the logical next step.

It will be fine

“Yes, we’re going to go to all this expense to install cameras in all these vehicles pointed right at your faces, but don’t worry none - we’re not going to be watching you - honest” :ninja2:
They get video of g-force events. It’s not a constant stream of live video. Wireless data isn’t free.

It will be fine

One way to test your theory that nobody is watching you is simple. Put a piece of paper over the camera so they can't watch you while you're on duty. If they don't ask you if you're doing something to block the camera, then you'll know they aren't watching you. However, if they do ask you about it, well then you'll know they are watching you while you're in the vehicle. That's an easy way to find out.
You don’t understand how the system works. If you’re that paranoid quit your job, that’ll show ‘em.

vantexan

Well, if the triggering events show a driver on their phone and he gets coached on that behavior, discipline is the logical next step.
If a driver gets in a crash while on the phone, and someone gets killed or injured, does the video absolve FedEx? If not I'm surprised they'd want video documentation.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
Chain Smoking, looking at your power pad, not wearing a seatbelt, with the bulk head door. Trying not to have lates. Perhaps a mass purge is coming...
0003600047930.jpg

It will be fine

If a driver gets in a crash while on the phone, and someone gets killed or injured, does the video absolve FedEx? If not I'm surprised they'd want video documentation.
If you know you’re on video how much less likely are you to use your phone while driving? If you’re caught and coached on not using your phone and do it again would you complain about being disciplined for it?

P1 Failure

Are we sure they are cameras that face us? I don't remember seeing anything about in the Eack. I know freight has forward facing cameras but I don't think they face the driver as well. But then again who knows....

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Yes, forward-facing cameras, and it was stated in the Eack that I received.
And again, at this point in time it apparently only affects CTV-type vehicles, so couriers (of the non-HWT variety anyway) likely would not have received an Eack about it.

Last edited:

fedx

Extra Large Package
You don’t understand how the system works. If you’re that paranoid quit your job, that’ll show ‘em.

You really can't give a good answer as to why pilots don't need driver/pilot facing cameras too. And you don't understand my test to see if they're watching you. Like I said, put something over the camera to block it and see if management says anything to you about it. That's an easy way to test it.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I am all for putting cameras in the trucks! It will make us perform better and do away with the goofing off that goes on. I am lazy if I am not watched

I would suggest you put a camera in your bathroom too running to youtube. It will make you perform better when you take a dump or not waste too much water when you're in the shower.