Cameras in Trucks

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And if mgrs pay attention to the ones they have a personal beef with instead of everybody? Yeah that's going to work out well. You don't allow for the human factor with mgrs, but always see the failings of couriers.

Good, let him watch a guy properly doing his job.

59 Dano

They posted "disappointing results" for the 3rd quarter, but I'm sure they'll have plenty of money (millions of dollars) to make sure every truck has these cameras installed in them. Probably no raises this year due to the disappointing results, but plenty of money for cameras. Inward facing cameras is not something drivers want. I can go along with outside facing, but in facing will get abused. I can pretty much bet that people will be viewing drivers without their knowledge-just for fun. "Hey let's see what Joe is up to" and turn it on without him knowing and they'll be laughing away. It's happened at other companies. I heard about a different company had a husband wife team and had driver facing cameras in their OTR truck. People monitoring the cameras would watch and record the couple having sex in the sleeper. I believe they even passed around some of the videos. The couple caught wind and sued that company for invasion of privacy. The company no longer uses driver facing cameras as a result of that lawsuit. But I guarantee you the inward facing will get abused. The driver doesn't know when he's being watched so it can happen all the time.

But yeah I read the announcement. It's full of lies and BS to sell it to drivers. It will give "coaching opportunities" (aka "come to my office") as a great thing to look forward to having! Oh and it will also "recognize safe driving." I'm calling BS on that. It's only going to be used to criticize drivers. If this is such a wonderful thing to have do all the FedEx pilots have front facing cameras in the cockpits? I mean it is all about safety after all. Those jets need outward and inward facing cameras as well so pilots can get "coaching opportunities" too. Somehow I have a feeling they're exempt from such harassment. They are in too high of a demand (even more than truck drivers) and they have a union.

I guess you're screwed.

59 Dano

It's "absurd" when talking about improving safety. There is no reason why a jet pilot cannot have a camera watching him too. It shouldn't matter how much rarer a jet crashes. "If it could save one life" is the usual response we get, so pilots should have cameras watching them so they can receive "coaching opportunities" just like the truck drivers.

The typical jet pilot is smarter than the typical truck driver.

Star B

White Lightening
You really can't give a good answer as to why pilots don't need driver/pilot facing cameras too. And you don't understand my test to see if they're watching you. Like I said, put something over the camera to block it and see if management says anything to you about it. That's an easy way to test it.

There's an easier answer:
Their UNION wouldn't allow for it.

59 Dano

You really can't give a good answer as to why pilots don't need driver/pilot facing cameras too.

Yeah, because they were hired off the street and put in the air with 10 hours of training and a pilot's license that any idiot can get, and they're always posting status updates on FB instead of looking at the road ahead.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Yeah, because they were hired off the street and put in the air with 10 hours of training and a pilot's license that any idiot can get, and they're always posting status updates on FB instead of looking at the road ahead.
So you're saying if you have 1,500 hours of training, you don't need a front facing camera? It's all about how much training you have? Oh and truck drivers don't have 10 hours of training. They have 3 weeks at FedEx of about 7 hours per day. So that would be 105 hours of training (or over 10 times more than you claim). So basically pilots are "gods" who don't deserve front facing cameras because they have a lot of "training" so they're exempt from any "safety enhancements" unlike the truck drivers. Got it.

SmithBarney

They have 3 weeks at FedEx of about 7 hours per day...

Clearly you don't have any newhires... courier school is now down to about 3 days including defensive driving..

Stop comparing it to pilots, pilots have every move recorded, if they fart, it's recorded. Enjoy the camera keep doing the job and their won't be any issues. and with "all day Roads" coming soon I can't wait to see how they enforce electronic device control, since we'll have turn by turn audio directions for every stop if we want them.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Clearly you don't have any newhires... courier school is now down to about 3 days including defensive driving..

Stop comparing it to pilots, pilots have every move recorded, if they fart, it's recorded. Enjoy the camera keep doing the job and their won't be any issues. and with "all day Roads" coming soon I can't wait to see how they enforce electronic device control, since we'll have turn by turn audio directions for every stop if we want them.

I was actually talking about RTD school. It's 3 weeks and each day is about 7 hrs long.

Why not compare it to pilots? I think it's a fair comparison. If being watched is so important, then why aren't they as well? I don't like living under the whole "if you got nothing to hide" ideology. That's so Orwellian.

SmithBarney

I was actually talking about RTD school. It's 3 weeks and each day is about 7 hrs long.

Why not compare it to pilots? I think it's a fair comparison. If being watched is so important, then why aren't they as well? I don't like living under the whole "if you got nothing to hide" ideology. That's so Orwellian.
Pilots are watched, You couldn't leave Oceania, but the good thing about the dystopia at FedEx, you aren't being forced to stay, feel free to leave.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Pilots are watched, You couldn't leave Oceania, but the good thing about the dystopia at FedEx, you aren't being forced to stay, feel free to leave.

That is true. You can disagree with the new camera system and you can get unemployment as a result. Something to think about.

59 Dano

So you're saying if you have 1,500 hours of training, you don't need a front facing camera? It's all about how much training you have? Oh and truck drivers don't have 10 hours of training. They have 3 weeks at FedEx of about 7 hours per day. So that would be 105 hours of training (or over 10 times more than you claim). So basically pilots are "gods" who don't deserve front facing cameras because they have a lot of "training" so they're exempt from any "safety enhancements" unlike the truck drivers. Got it.

I mean, the obvious answer is that the cameras are used to document the driver's behavior during g-force triggered events so that he can be (if needed) coached and disciplined, and a g-force triggered event in an airplane is what most of us call "crashing into the ground," which will probably result in the pilot never flying again because he's dead, and it's hard to coach and discipline a dead person.

But you have something shoved up your butt about this issue, so we won't go with the obvious answer.

59 Dano

Stop comparing it to pilots, pilots have every move recorded, if they fart, it's recorded.

Agreed. There's a time and money investment, along with a level of personal and professional responsibility, required in becoming a commercial pilot that tends to weed out the idiots.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I mean, the obvious answer is that the cameras are used to document the driver's behavior during g-force triggered events so that he can be (if needed) coached and disciplined, and a g-force triggered event in an airplane is what most of us call "crashing into the ground," which will probably result in the pilot never flying again because he's dead, and it's hard to coach and discipline a dead person.

But you have something shoved up your butt about this issue, so we won't go with the obvious answer.

I don't think I'm the only one who has "something shoved up my butt about this issue." I think there's plenty of others that don't want a camera in their face. I have a feeling it doesn't affect you, so you have no problem with it.

59 Dano

I don't think I'm the only one who has "something shoved up my butt about this issue." I think there's plenty of others that don't want a camera in their face.

Now would be a good time to sharpen up the ol' resumé.

I have a feeling it doesn't affect you, so you have no problem with it.

The DH rule in baseball doesn't affect me either, but I have a problem with it.