Cameras in Trucks

FedUpRTD

The installers put the new unit in my tractor last week. It has both the forward looking and driver facing cameras. They will be getting lots of videos on me since all of the “event” sensors on my tractor are hypersensitive. Everyday, I get false collision warnings from fire hydrants, bridges and reflective signs. My tractor fires off a roll over warning with every turn I make, no matter what speed that I make a turn. I have complained about it to vehicle maintenance and my manager for the last two years, but they are not all that interested in the problem.

On a side note, it looks like the installation of the new units on the rest of the tractor fleet has been halted temporarily according to the installers. They stopped work on the tractors and switched to working on trailers. From what I was told by the installer, work was stopped by FedEx on the tractors because of some serious issues with the Samsung tablets that are being used for the screen unit of the new system.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
work was stopped by FedEx on the tractors because of some serious issues with the Samsung tablets that are being used for the screen unit of the new system.

Some stations have delayed using the Samsung powerpad replacements because they are wifi bandwidth hogs. It can get so bad that it cripples eOPS, ROADS, FWR, InControl, etc.

fedx

Extra Large Package
The installers put the new unit in my tractor last week. It has both the forward looking and driver facing cameras. They will be getting lots of videos on me since all of the “event” sensors on my tractor are hypersensitive. Everyday, I get false collision warnings from fire hydrants, bridges and reflective signs. My tractor fires off a roll over warning with every turn I make, no matter what speed that I make a turn. I have complained about it to vehicle maintenance and my manager for the last two years, but they are not all that interested in the problem.

On a side note, it looks like the installation of the new units on the rest of the tractor fleet has been halted temporarily according to the installers. They stopped work on the tractors and switched to working on trailers. From what I was told by the installer, work was stopped by FedEx on the tractors because of some serious issues with the Samsung tablets that are being used for the screen unit of the new system.

So what you're saying is you "lucked out" getting those cameras installed in your truck before everyone else. Now they they got your truck done, they put the cameras on hold. Lucky you. lol

Star B

White Lightening
Some stations have delayed using the Samsung powerpad replacements because they are wifi bandwidth hogs. It can get so bad that it cripples eOPS, ROADS, FWR, InControl, etc.
well it doesn't help that most stations only have T1s... which run all that + security videos feeds + the phones.

The newer programmers don't understand how to be lean when it comes to data management, whether it is with memory or bandwidth because they are not used to having only 32k or 2400 baud to contend with.

Artee

Talked to a float driver for FDX Freight a couple weeks ago. He is always in a different tractor covering a different route and he said he has not been in a tractor yet that has not had the driver facing camera cover or blocked out. They have had theirs a couple years now, so probably not the same equipment we will be using, but someone has come up with a little plastic piece that snaps over the camera that blocks it out.

probably won't be able to get away with that at Express for 4-6 months after they have been installed. Its like that for any new toy that FDX gets. Its looses its appeal a few months down the road and they abandon it and only bring it out should the need arise. When was the last time your mgmt posted the drivers score card listing all the drivers on best to worst on how much they are idling and treating their equipment. Its been years since they cared. That lasted a couple months and then poof....gone. They only time they pull up the telemetry is when someone gets in an accident to see if they were speeding, so they can blame the fdx driver for a drunk running his car into the rear of your trailer on the freeway because you were 1 mph over the speed limit. If you weren't 1 mph over the speed limit none of this would have happened, so we need to give you a preventable accident.

MassWineGuy

Regarding the driver facing cameras in Express vehicles (Sprinters, etc.), does anyone know the type of cell phone network they use? 3G, 4G?

Star B

White Lightening
Regarding the driver facing cameras in Express vehicles (Sprinters, etc.), does anyone know the type of cell phone network they use? 3G, 4G?
There are no current talks of driver-facing cameras in Sprinters. It is only in heavyweight. It's going to be over 4G.

McFeely

Huge Member
I’ve seen on the FedEx Facebook page that they’re other places too. It’s only a matter of time til we all get them. Retirement is looking better every day.

There was one post recently on there that showed a tablet type thing mounted on a Reach, and to the left of it was another device that was a "following too closely" sorta display. Looked like a camera, but wasn't IIRC. I'll try to find a pic.

SmithBarney

It's ok half the morons I work with think the IR sensor is a camera, on the backup camera screen. It's for the remote(which we don't use) They put a little piece of tape or astra label on it...

P1 Failure

It's ok half the morons I work with think the IR sensor is a camera, on the backup camera screen. It's for the remote(which we don't use) They put a little piece of tape or astra label on it...
Same here. One of the swings that ran my rte had put a piece of an FO sticker over mine.

The Goat

They already putting them in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190816-203230_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190816-203230_Gallery.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 214