Cameras in Trucks

fedex_rtd

Is every truck equipped with a back up camera?
Legitimate question, I've been gone from your segment of work for a long, long time. Not being snooty, just saying I don't know.
Since you have been gone from this "segment of work" What do you actually do for the company?

fedex_rtd

You should know that since the cameras have been installed in the CTV's there have been a few accidents, however for some mysterious reason local management has not been able to download or see the video from these accidents, or so they say.

My suspicion is that the only time the camera footage will be made available is when there is a major accident that involves someone being killed and the company being sued, otherwise if you think these cameras will get you out of a rear ending accident when someone cuts you off and slams on their brake's you are mistaken.

Artee

You should know that since the cameras have been installed in the CTV's there have been a few accidents, however for some mysterious reason local management has not been able to download or see the video from these accidents, or so they say.

My suspicion is that the only time the camera footage will be made available is when there is a major accident that involves someone being killed and the company being sued, otherwise if you think these cameras will get you out of a rear ending accident when someone cuts you off and slams on their brake's you are mistaken.

Not sure how accurate this is, but my manager said that they do not have access to the videos or cameras. They will not be watching you. It is all done by a 3rd party. Should something happen they would have to to go to this 3rd party and have them send over the portion of the video they are interested in seeing. This is going to be going the way of the Qualcom, and the last 2 generations of the MDT. FedEx will be paying big money for all this "high tech" equipment and only use 10% of its capabilities. The only thing we are using of the current MDT's is the log book. The messaging is never used, the hands free calling, GPS. The managers are not supposed to contact us using our cell phones by calling or texting while on the clock, otherwise we can turn in an expense for it and get reimbursed. My manager still does it though. So much for having this communication tech in the trucks that never get used.

Artee

Thinking of stuff that never gets used, if you are an RT, do you remember the driver score card? That was pretty hot a number of years ago. It would keep track of your speed, shifting, hard braking, idle time...etc and give you a score. It would rank you with your fellow drivers. Every week or so they would post up this new scorecard for everyone to see and you could check out who the "top" drivers were. It would even send an email to the managers should you exceed a particular speed limit they had set, so they could have a talk with you. That lasted 5 months or less and was gone. Have not heard a peep about that in years now.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I think it proved to be so wildly inaccurate it couldn’t be taken seriously. For example, we had some drivers who evidently were consistently doing over 140 mph.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Not sure how accurate this is, but my manager said that they do not have access to the videos or cameras. They will not be watching you. It is all done by a 3rd party. Should something happen they would have to to go to this 3rd party and have them send over the portion of the video they are interested in seeing. This is going to be going the way of the Qualcom, and the last 2 generations of the MDT. FedEx will be paying big money for all this "high tech" equipment and only use 10% of its capabilities. The only thing we are using of the current MDT's is the log book. The messaging is never used, the hands free calling, GPS. The managers are not supposed to contact us using our cell phones by calling or texting while on the clock, otherwise we can turn in an expense for it and get reimbursed. My manager still does it though. So much for having this communication tech in the trucks that never get used.
FedEx has been spending money foolishly for over 30 years. Why should today be any different?

fedex_rtd

Yeh, at least with the old"Quadrant" web tech system we could trip in from the cab of the truck, since they expect us to trip in within 10 min. they say that with the new system they will be using GPS fences to trip us in and out automatically starting sometime in September. :its see how that works LOL

floridays

Since you have been gone from this "segment of work" What do you actually do for the company?

I never said I still work for the company.

I hope you didn't take what I said as an attempt to portray loftiness. It wasn't. I'm only marginal at what I do and or did.

I stated long ago I don't touch boxes, it's there, you can find it with the search feature.

The people that touch the boxes are the only reason any fedex door will open tomorrow or any tomorrow.

I won't say what I do or did, is that clear enough?

When @bbsam asked me if I was still working and what I did I told him I begged at the interstate off ramp.
Or something very close to that, it is searchable as well.

bbsam was satisfied with that answer, I salute him.

I apologize for not being specific, consider me doing any job you picture me preforming.

Best to you friend, and I salute you as well.

Artee

Just got mine installed yesterday. Nothing works on it yet. We have gone back to manual VTR's because they have not figured out if this unit can keep accurate records of mileage. The installers left all the covers for the cameras in the trucks. Within a few months as this technology starts to get forgotten about, I am sure you will see most of the driver facing cameras with the covers back on them.

fedex_rtd

I never said I still work for the company.

I hope you didn't take what I said as an attempt to portray loftiness. It wasn't. I'm only marginal at what I do and or did.

I stated long ago I don't touch boxes, it's there, you can find it with the search feature.

The people that touch the boxes are the only reason any fedex door will open tomorrow or any tomorrow.

I won't say what I do or did, is that clear enough?

When @bbsam asked me if I was still working and what I did I told him I begged at the interstate off ramp.
Or something very close to that, it is searchable as well.

bbsam was satisfied with that answer, I salute him.

I apologize for not being specific, consider me doing any job you picture me preforming.

Best to you friend, and I salute you as well.
So your sort of like being a troll? You don’t work for the company, you don’t drive a CTV, yet here you are trying to give input on this subject. You have no value on this thread, and the fact that “you don’t touch boxes” tells me you have no experience being an hourly worker with this company

floridays

So your sort of like being a troll? You don’t work for the company, you don’t drive a CTV, yet here you are trying to give input on this subject. You have no value on this thread, and the fact that “you don’t touch boxes” tells me you have no experience being an hourly worker with this company
I didn't confirm or deny employment status, I will confirm I don't drive a CTV.

I think you missed my angle.

This thread is is "cameras in trucks," a previous poster offered the company's rationale.

Safety.

I simply asked if all trucks had backup cameras.
The element of increased driver safety and reduced damage claims are in my mind two positives.

I have a crazy way of getting to a point, I was curious if someone would lead me to my conclusion.

No one has.

Fedex is not installing cameras in the trucks for safety, it is for surveillance.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If safety and reduced claims were the target all trucks would have been outfitted with backing cameras long ago.

I do understand veteran drivers saying backup cameras are for rookies, they missed my angle.

My angle is, the target is not safety, it is you, the guy or gal in the left seat.

fedex_rtd

CTV's don't have backup cameras, they have front facing cameras and cameras facing the driver, now you ask why the driver? Don't be on the phone when you have that accident.

One of the managers rear ended a tractor trailer on his way to work one day...he said he was adjusting the radio. Kinda hard to use that excuse if the camera sees you doing something else

overflowed

So the city I work for has 12 cameras on the equipment I operate. That includes drive cam, and one camera directly above me pointing at your feet. When they first put in the drivecams they sent out a notice saying specifically they will not used for discipline and only for instructional and training . That notice now can't be found for a department that keeps records like no other. The drive cams are used entirely for nailing us for anything. Also, for your info a third party does go though them. They upload by wifi at around midnight . All the triggered cams go to Mumbai and they browse though them looking for whatever the companies using them want returned by their guidelines . So to give you an idea of things that happen . A pothole will set some off, so people have been written up for all kinds of things when no accident or anything serious happened. Smoking in the vehicle, on the phone, 1 hand on the steering wheel, and not fully stopping at stop signs. Lots more so just think about it. So just imagine how Fedex will use it, I certainly can. I also think they will use this to dump people that they want to be rid of.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So the city I work for has 12 cameras on the equipment I operate. That includes drive cam, and one camera directly above me pointing at your feet. When they first put in the drivecams they sent out a notice saying specifically they will not used for discipline and only for instructional and training . That notice now can't be found for a department that keeps records like no other. The drive cams are used entirely for nailing us for anything. Also, for your info a third party does go though them. They upload by wifi at around midnight . All the triggered cams go to Mumbai and they browse though them looking for whatever the companies using them want returned by their guidelines . So to give you an idea of things that happen . A pothole will set some off, so people have been written up for all kinds of things when no accident or anything serious happened. Smoking in the vehicle, on the phone, 1 hand on the steering wheel, and not fully stopping at stop signs. Lots more so just think about it. So just imagine how Fedex will use it, I certainly can. I also think they will use this to dump people that they want to be rid of.
People are totally naive if they think Fedex won’t watch us, or like in your case, have us watched and use the cameras against us.