Can Anything be Done About the Runners?

badpal

Being on Brown cafe for all these years its always fascinated me the amount of people wasting time worried about what other drivers are doing on thier routes. i can barely keep focused on mine. Rather another drive runs his too fast or too slow aint my worry. I work in a small backwater center and have never even heard term RUNNER GUNNER used. Usually if a rookie goes to fast and cuts too many corners, thier lucks runs out sooner rather than later.

nWo

We had a 67 year old driver retire. He was back by 5 every day. The 25 year old driver that took over his route is out until 830-9 every night with 30-40 less stops. Some people work faster than others.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How do I get one to the route next to mine? I could use 20 less stops. I’m doing 90 now.
We used to have fun with the daily report, routinely playing "penny a point", wagering on who would be the most over or under allowed.

One year we actually had a fantasy draft for runners to see who could amass the most under allowed with their draft picks in a weekly head to head format.

Management hated it and so did the runners.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We used to have fun with the daily report, routinely playing "penny a point", wagering on who would be the most over or under allowed.

One year we actually had a fantasy draft for runners to see who could amass the most under allowed with their draft picks in a weekly head to head format.

Thats good stuff.

Watching drivers "pore over" the morning re-cap was funny.

Now, they stand in front of a computer screen looking at their Orion dispatch before work.

And then (this is the best part) look at the forecast for the next day.... after work.

Dangler

Banned

This is awesome. Need to get this going at our Center.

oldngray

nowhere special
Thats good stuff.

Now, they stand in front of a computer screen looking at their Orion dispatch before work.

And then (this is the best part) look at the forecast for the next day.... after work.
Shouldn't it have been a prize for most over allowed? High score wins!

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Thats good stuff.

My center manager would leave the report on the desk. Occasionally it would have a particular name circled in red with a WTF in big letters. I’m proud to say I made that circle ⭕️ a few times. Lol

100%

In my Center Runners have taken over. These aren’t the kind of guys that just run through their routes either; they’re :censored2:s to customers, don’t ring doorbells, drive fast by pedestrians, leave small packages at the garage, you name it. They’ll cut every corner to get done early, while putting excessive mileage on their routes to get a better time allowance, and then claim they work the hardest in the building because they’re usually 200+ clicks under.

Normally, I just recognize these Drivers for being the losers they are and move on, but lately I’ve been being asked to help, which I’m normally happy to do, while the Center lets our Runners go home at 1530. The other day we had Runners go home pre-1600 only to have an On-Car get forced on road later that evening to make service.
The newer Drivers are getting totally abused because they’re getting the volume the Runners should be getting. This is bothering me quite a bit.
I like putting in a solid day’s work, and if another Driver is struggling, especially a new one, I do not mind helping, but getting gamed by a bunch of :censored2:-bags (the Runners) is troubling.

In my Center the Runners are confrontational and super whiney, so they always get their way. Is it possible to grieve their guarantee if you have higher seniority? Can it be grieved if you’re sent to help, but the lower seniority Driver next to the Driver you’re helping punched out at 1530?

Sorry if I’m ignorant about this stuff. When I first started we had old-timer Stewards that were awesome and I took them for granted and now don’t know anything.

Thanks.
If they don’t discipline runners for safety, then they can’t come after you for over allowed. That’s called discrimination.