Can I Grieve When They Don't Pay Out My Sick or Optional Time?

awsilberstein

I'm a part time package handler in Worcester, MA. I work the pre-load, which compared to every other shift in my building, seems to have the absolute worst, and disrespectful supervisors. I constantly have issues when it comes to getting paid for days I book off, or even optional days I have been approved for. Most recently, I took the Thursday and Friday before my vacation week off. I'm sure that pissed them off and maybe they are retaliating. According to my stub, I have 8 hours OPD and 8 hours PST. I was approved for the Thursday as an optional day, but denied the Friday. I already had a flight booked to leave on Wednesday, after my shift, so I booked off for Friday. Our pay period is Mon-Sat since we started running Saturdays, though I am a Mon-Fri employee. I occasionally work Saturdays when asked. I called Saturday morning before the end of the shift and no one answered so I left a message reminding them to put in my 4 hours optional and 4 hours sick so that my pay wouldn't be short. Since no one had answered, I also texted another supervisor who confirmed he was still in the building at the time, and I asked him to relay my request to the the man in charge, AND let him know I had left the message. He replied that he would do so. Low and behold, I only got paid for 12 hours that week, the mon, tue, wed that I worked. No optional time for Thursday, and no sick time for Friday. Then we get in arguments about me booking off and they tell me things like, "You've missed too many days. We're gonna suspend you." I say I looked at my pay stub on UPSERS and I have available sick time. They say you've already missed this many days. I say well maybe if you actually put my sick time in when I booked off I could see I have no time available and would be far less likely to book off unless absolutely necessary. Arguments get heated, the steward just says cool it. Nothing comes of it. I've been here 4 years now, and never got a union book. I don't know any of the rules. I've never filed a grievance, and I'm sure these supervisors are constantly breaking the rules I don't even know. Can I grieve for this type of thing?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I'm a part time package handler in Worcester, MA. I work the pre-load, which compared to every other shift in my building, seems to have the absolute worst, and disrespectful supervisors. I constantly have issues when it comes to getting paid for days I book off, or even optional days I have been approved for. Most recently, I took the Thursday and Friday before my vacation week off. I'm sure that pissed them off and maybe they are retaliating. According to my stub, I have 8 hours OPD and 8 hours PST. I was approved for the Thursday as an optional day, but denied the Friday. I already had a flight booked to leave on Wednesday, after my shift, so I booked off for Friday. Our pay period is Mon-Sat since we started running Saturdays, though I am a Mon-Fri employee. I occasionally work Saturdays when asked. I called Saturday morning before the end of the shift and no one answered so I left a message reminding them to put in my 4 hours optional and 4 hours sick so that my pay wouldn't be short. Since no one had answered, I also texted another supervisor who confirmed he was still in the building at the time, and I asked him to relay my request to the the man in charge, AND let him know I had left the message. He replied that he would do so. Low and behold, I only got paid for 12 hours that week, the mon, tue, wed that I worked. No optional time for Thursday, and no sick time for Friday. Then we get in arguments about me booking off and they tell me things like, "You've missed too many days. We're gonna suspend you." I say I looked at my pay stub on UPSERS and I have available sick time. They say you've already missed this many days. I say well maybe if you actually put my sick time in when I booked off I could see I have no time available and would be far less likely to book off unless absolutely necessary. Arguments get heated, the steward just says cool it. Nothing comes of it. I've been here 4 years now, and never got a union book. I don't know any of the rules. I've never filed a grievance, and I'm sure these supervisors are constantly breaking the rules I don't even know. Can I grieve for this type of thing?
Option days you can get paid out any time you want

So you have been here 4 years and never been to a union meeting?

MattM

You combine sick days with option days? We get in trouble around my parts for using too many sick days. I think after 2-3 in a row, you need a doctor's note.

All option days and option week days will be cashed out at either end of the calendar year, or end of anniversary year. So you technically aren't losing out on that money.

As long as the books it doesn't show 'no call no show', you should be alright.

You don't know your boss who controls the schedule? Always ask to confirm planned scheduled days off.

Why would they be mad or pissed if those two days prior to vacation were already in the books?

How many options days /option wk days do you think you have? Sounds like you're burning through them all. It also sounds like, since they are forgetting to pay you out, it still shows time available. That can get quite tricky.

Also, unless it's a planned sickness, most times people call in the day or so prior to call in sick.
This begs the question. Cashing out a sick day is not the same as physically using it. So make it clear what you are doing.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You combine sick days with option days? We get in trouble around my parts for using too many sick days. I think after 2-3 in a row, you need a doctor's note.

All option days and option week days will be cashed out at either end of the calendar year, or end of anniversary year. So you technically aren't losing out on that money.

As long as the books it doesn't show 'no call no show', you should be alright.

You don't know your boss who controls the schedule? Always ask to confirm planned scheduled days off.

Why would they be mad or pissed if those two days prior to vacation were already in the books?

How many options days /option wk days do you think you have? Sounds like you're burning through them all. It also sounds like, since they are forgetting to pay you out, it still shows time available. That can get quite tricky.

Also, unless it's a planned sickness, most times people call in the day or so prior to call in sick.
This begs the question. Cashing out a sick day is not the same as physically using it. So make it clear what you are doing.
Whatever is earned can be cashed out anytime

542thruNthru

Download your contracts here.
UPS and UPS Freight Agreements, 2018 – 2023

Also file a Article 17 and all applicable grievance for the wages plus penalty pay.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
That's not funny. Also not funny that the OP has to tolerate these d Bag shoes.

But you do you!

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?

Download your contracts here.
UPS and UPS Freight Agreements, 2018 – 2023

Also file a Article 17 and all applicable grievance for the wages plus penalty pay.

You’re covered under the NE supplement as well as the National Master. I’d highly recommend you read through the contract and become familiar with it. You’d also be wise to attend union meetings and heed the advice of your steward. Under all circumstances keep your cool. Treating management with disrespect frequently is construed as grounds for termination.