Can I join Union as a 17 year old and do I still get the benefits?

Kennyth

Is there an age requirement to join the Union? I'm 17 and applied to work at UPS as a package handler. They took me on a tour and told me about joining the Union on my 35th day with an initiation fee of $50, but I don't know if I can because I won't be turning 18 until next August, also I'm still in High School, so I don't know if I'll still be able to get the benefits, like the college tuitions, health, dental, vision, discounts, 401k, etc. Would I have to wait until I'm 19-21 to get these benefits?

They may not let you start working until you ate 18, for insurance reasons. You also can not drive until you are 21

I'm not sure about every local supplement but they do not pay into your pension until you ate 21 ( another Union concession)

Kennyth

50 buck initiation fee sounds too cheap. Isn't it more like 150 for part time workers?
They said the initiation fee was $50, which I was suprised about because I read somewhere else that the pt package handlers at their location had to pay $500. Do they get more benefits or does it cost more because they're in a busier place?

rod

Retired 22 years
They said the initiation fee was $50, which I was suprised about because I read somewhere else that the pt package handlers at their location had to pay $500. Do they get more benefits or does it cost more because they're in a busier place?

You are asking the wrong person. I know absolutely nothing about how the Union / Company operates anymore. I've been retired for 16 rears. If I was you I would ask your steward or call your Union Hall.

He will return
He is losing ground
Screenshot_20170826-194549.png