Can management give you warning letters for too many olccs?

Preventable

Im a pm swing but I come in(by choice) around 8am 3-5days a week to help on AMs

So they gave me an absurd amount of deliveries (~60, they usually just give me p1s, i take a break then I come back and grab missorts if I need to b4 my route but whatever) and we left about an hour and a half late(it was about 930), and I had to be back at 1230 to get the deliveries the usual guy does(like 30)for a route I dont know...and yeah I didnt take any break because I got done around 1 maybe later and then was running late on everything because I didnt leave the building till about 2..and I got back at about 845pm, offloaded my truck and went on break shortly after to avoid hours violation which would be at 10

I told her this and shes like I dont care!

I couldnt even tell her that night because well, shes a "mid day manager" so she leaves at 4 and my old one runs pretty much everything

I could have taken my hour break,been back an hour later and then :censored2:ed up everything because the sort ends before 9 but apparently I didnt make the right call here

I'm not saying offloading your truck would have avoided this, but this tells me you are at a weird station or are newer. Yeah a lot of times you need to unload your own truck, but at my station the guys who are like you usually just park and go home. Is your route not close to any drivers? By that time its hard to believe there was no help available. You could have done several things to protect yourself:

Tell management/dispatch you are concerned with that 30 stops you had to take late in the day.

As soon as you need to get to the point of the day where you need to start doing pickups start doing them and send dispatch a message saying you have 10 stops that you can't deliver and then they can send some one to grab them, give away your first couple pickups, or eat the DEX 1s/DEX 84s (pretty unlikely before thanksgiving).

Don't offload your truck when you are that high on hours, especially if you haven't taken a break.

I know all managers are different, and they might say something especially to a new guy or an under performing guy about it but take a 30 minute break. I went stretches of months as a full timer where I would take 30 minute breaks even over 8 hours, but I was running high SPH so it didn't seem like they cared... But even an inefficient courier would be right to laugh in a manager's face if they raised a stink about a short break in this situation.

Sounds like you didn't want to burden any of your other fellow couriers, which is admirable but if you are a new guy and you guys are slammed people will understand having to come grab 10 stops off of you if they :censored2: on you like they did in this scenario.

Basically if you communicate early in the day, and put forth a good effort they can't really touch you for problems caused by late planes/understaffing/bad planning, you will learn. I'm not saying you need to play the system, but don't let them shift the blame for a bad day to you is the bottom line.

I have had "managers" that manage by OLCC, write us up every chance they can For stupid stuff. After one or two in a short period of time I just tell them, every OLCC you write me, I drop one SFA question from Strongly Agree to agree, after 10 OLCC's we start over and go from Agree so Sometimes agree/Sometimes disagree and so on. Every Warning Letter, every question goes right to Strongly Disagree! A few couriers started doing that too so it came up during the next SFA meeting and we reminded them about all of the OLCC's........That most allways puts the "managers" in check and they mellow out.

Oldfart

I have had "managers" that manage by OLCC, write us up every chance they can For stupid stuff. After one or two in a short period of time I just tell them, every OLCC you write me, I drop one SFA question from Strongly Agree to agree, after 10 OLCC's we start over and go from Agree so Sometimes agree/Sometimes disagree and so on. Every Warning Letter, every question goes right to Strongly Disagree! A few couriers started doing that too so it came up during the next SFA meeting and we reminded them about all of the OLCC's........That most allways puts the "managers" in check and they mellow out.
10 OLCC? Are you doing anything right?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Im a pm swing but I come in(by choice) around 8am 3-5days a week to help on AMs

So they gave me an absurd amount of deliveries (~60, they usually just give me p1s, i take a break then I come back and grab missorts if I need to b4 my route but whatever) and we left about an hour and a half late(it was about 930), and I had to be back at 1230 to get the deliveries the usual guy does(like 30)for a route I dont know...and yeah I didnt take any break because I got done around 1 maybe later and then was running late on everything because I didnt leave the building till about 2..and I got back at about 845pm, offloaded my truck and went on break shortly after to avoid hours violation which would be at 10

I told her this and shes like I dont care!

I couldnt even tell her that night because well, shes a "mid day manager" so she leaves at 4 and my old one runs pretty much everything

I could have taken my hour break,been back an hour later and then :censored2:ed up everything because the sort ends before 9 but apparently I didnt make the right call here

That's why you send a message to dispatch earlier telling them that you left the building late, are heavy on deliveries, and need to take a proper break to avoid a violation and to please advise. It's up to dispatch and/or your manager to figure out how it should be handled.

Oldfart

That's why you send a message to dispatch earlier telling them that you left the building late, are heavy on deliveries, and need to take a proper break to avoid a violation and to please advise. It's up to dispatch and/or your manager to figure out how it should be handled.
Have you ever dealt with dispatch? That message would get you nowhere with most of them. Kind of like telling dispatch you need P1 help. If your manager won't solve the problem, dispatch sure isn't. Are you sure you ever worked at Express? Some of your opinions are so far off it seems like you MIGHT have worked in the Hub. There is no way you have station experience.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I always leave those kind of decisions to management. That’s why they get paid the big bucks. Lol.

!Retired!

Have you ever dealt with dispatch? That message would get you nowhere with most of them. Kind of like telling dispatch you need P1 help. If your manager won't solve the problem, dispatch sure isn't. Are you sure you ever worked at Express? Some of your opinions are so far off it seems like you MIGHT have worked in the Hub. There is no way you have station experience.
OF, you know better than that. You send the message, AKA 'covering your butt' and if you don't get help....oh well, you told them.
I would keep delivering and take my break after telling dispatch I'll be late getting to my PM and need help with the pickups. If you left late with to many deliveries to make the PM and didn't say anything while still in the station, who's fault is that?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

It's the courier's obligation to notify dispatch of the circumstances and the obligation of dispatch/management to come up with a way to handle them. If they don't, he's done his part and he's going to play it by ear.

The fact that you found dispatch unresponsive probably has more to do with you than with them.

Oldfart

It's the courier's obligation to notify dispatch of the circumstances and the obligation of dispatch/management to come up with a way to handle them. If they don't, he's done his part and he's going to play it by ear.

The fact that you found dispatch unresponsive probably has more to do with you than with them.
1st thing our dispatcher ask is did we tell a manager. If you notified a manager of your situation and they didn't act, our dispatcher are not gonna step on the managers toes. If the original poster knew he would either have a break violation or service failures, he should have taken his break and let the manager eat the lates. Once he told a manager it was gonna be an problem, he has covered his butt. I have NEVER gotten an OLCC for having lates. Having a break violation is a good way to receive one.

Once again, Dano, whatever manual you read isn't reality. Do you actually think if a dispatcher is told you notified your manager of a potential situation, the dispatcher is gonna over ride a manager's decision? Highly doubtful. More proof you obviously never had station experience.

Oldfart

OF, you know better than that. You send the message, AKA 'covering your butt' and if you don't get help....oh well, you told them.
I would keep delivering and take my break after telling dispatch I'll be late getting to my PM and need help with the pickups. If you left late with to many deliveries to make the PM and didn't say anything while still in the station, who's fault is that?
I already covered my butt. I told my manager and he decided to do nothing. The lates are on him. If I were to send dispatch a msg, I would include that I told my manager of the problem. I would not expect dispatch to over ride the managers decision. Most managers do not like hourly employees going against their decisions. Dispatchers know that.

It will be fine

I already covered my butt. I told my manager and he decided to do nothing. The lates are on him. If I were to send dispatch a msg, I would include that I told my manager of the problem. I would not expect dispatch to over ride the managers decision. Most managers do not like hourly employees going against their decisions. Dispatchers know that.
Correct me if I don’t understand a dispatcher’s job, but aren’t they there to move resources around during the day to solve problems?

Star B

White Lightening
in a perfect world, yes. However, management will come down on dispatch for making 'incorrect' decisions about sending resources. By 'incorrect' I mean kills profit and hurts on road to save service.

I've had instances where I've been completely boned due to bad luck with trains and incompetent management not grasping the concept that 50 stops one day could be cake and the other day could be hell depending on where they fall on the map. "No help available" is a phrase I've heard wayy to often from dispatch. Oh, and bring this up with this manager during the sort "Oh, it's only 50 stops, you will be fine, I'm not giving you any help."

PSP, my ass.

Oldfart

Correct me if I don’t understand a dispatcher’s job, but aren’t they there to move resources around during the day to solve problems?
If your manager instructed you to do a job despite you telling them you would either have a break violation or service failures, do you expect a dispatcher to go against a managers instruction? I have had dispatchers tell me I had to cover an open p/u route. Once I called my manager and we discussed it, my manager told me I did not have to cover the route. Do you actually think a dispatcher is gonna instruct me to cover that route despite what the manager said?

If your manager instructs you to help with deliveries and you tell them you will have lates because of your MANDATORY break and they don't have a problem with it, I don't have a problem with it either. If a dispatcher goes against a managers decision, he just might later regret it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You are correct, however, in the current environment at FedEx dispatchers are more than happy to let managers solve the problems, just as managers are more than happy to let dispatchers solve the problems.

dezguy

in a perfect world, yes. However, management will come down on dispatch for making 'incorrect' decisions about sending resources. By 'incorrect' I mean kills profit and hurts on road to save service.

I've had instances where I've been completely boned due to bad luck with trains and incompetent management not grasping the concept that 50 stops one day could be cake and the other day could be hell depending on where they fall on the map. "No help available" is a phrase I've heard wayy to often from dispatch. Oh, and bring this up with this manager during the sort "Oh, it's only 50 stops, you will be fine, I'm not giving you any help."

PSP, my ass.
That's where all I say is alright and leave. When I come back and am questioned about lates, I just say I told you I would need help.

You are correct, however, in the current environment at FedEx dispatchers are more than happy to let managers solve the problems, just as managers are more than happy to let dispatchers solve the problems.
In my experience, managers think once you're out the door, you're not their problem.

Oldfart

That's where all I say is alright and leave. When I come back and am questioned about lates, I just say I told you I would need help.

In my experience, managers think once you're out the door, you're not their problem.
They still have to answer to their boss about service, SPH and HOS violations.