Can seniority be used to leave early?

Coldfeer234

PT here. asked my supervisor if I could leave first based on my seniority. he told me seniority is only the right to work not the right to leave. is this true?

upschuck

Here, it is both, they are supposed to ask top guys first, if they want to leave, which would save them money, so why wouldn't they do it?

Coldfeer234

Here, it is both, they are supposed to ask top guys first, if they want to leave, which would save them money, so why wouldn't they do it?
Because there is a complainer on the belt who thinks he should be sent home first because he "works harder" then others and the supervisors will kiss up to him.

I had asked the supervisor during the shift to please make sure to send me home first based on my seniority. He said "I'll do what i can". I said OK thanks.

Later on during the shift he tells the employee to go home. I was in front of the supervisor when he told him, and asked him "what about me?". That's when he told me that seniority is the right to work not to leave.

I just want to make sure who's correct but I will ask my steward today.

Thanks.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
PT here. asked my supervisor if I could leave first based on my seniority. he told me seniority is only the right to work not the right to leave. is this true?

It depends.

You should ask your steward, if there is any established Local seniority practice.

Typically...."with all things being equal, seniority prevails".

Within your work "area" it should.

Meaning; if you work as a loader or pickoff, you couldn't exercise your seniority

over an unloader whose job would finish before your's.

Within the work area ? Sure.

-Bug-

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

In our area, voluntary time off must be offered in seniority order. That means if the area is overstaffed, they're supposed to offer voluntary layoffs from the top down.

Seniority can also be flexed in order to "pass down" extra work. If you're unloading a door, you can't use your seniority to make management replace you with a junior member. But if you're both finished with your original assignment and there's one more door to unload or irregs to wrap up or hots to run (etc etc), then you should be allowed to pass that work to the junior member.

rod

Retired 22 years
They will tell you anything if it makes their job easier (can you really blame them?) Your job is to question them if you don't feel its right. See your steward.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Knowledge???
Should the company be required to allow a senior driver to take a dive, putting them in the position to have to send a junior driver out cold, "in the blind", because of seniority.
I know of no language in the Central Region to support that premise.

While I appreciate the semantics of some of these arguments, I continue to contend that the contract protects your right to work, not your right not to work.
Notable exceptions being compensated time off and scheduled days off the week between Christmas and New Years.

Last edited:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Does a person have the right to bump you off a job if they have more seniority. When they put a job up they take the person with the top seniority on the list. Top down when going home is how it is suppose to work. Furthermore people with top seniority get to come in before everyone else. The supervisor are just lazy and dont' want to to do the top down thing. It is to time consuming for them. I had to file a grievance a while ago because they were bringing in lesser senority people in before me. I was losing 10 minutes a day because of it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Should the company be required to allow a senior driver to take a dive, putting them in the position to have to send a junior driver out cold, "in the blind", because of seniority.

Really ??

Boo Hoo.... for the newbie driver.

How about a layoff, instead ?

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Really ??

Boo Whoo.... for the newbie driver.

How about a layoff, instead ? Go load feeder trucks for a paycheck.

-Bug-
No really, "Boo Whoo"....for the company.

Not only does it likely cost them more in wages, it also increases their perceived liability from a service and safety standpoint.

What language am I missing?

~Bbbl~

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Locally, no, seniority does not give you a right to go home. Seniority only gives you a right to stay and get the most hours or OT. Management takes full advantage of this and plays favorites in every way possible, while the union looks the other way.

Over9.5>3Times

I would say no. It's similar to a more senior driver filing a grievance because he was dispatched with 11 hours of work and a less senior driver was dispatched with 9 hours of work. Just can't do it.

BigBrownTown

I work in a large hub, so management here is extra pushy about what you "can and can't" use seniority for. My stewart is somehow corrupt and supports them in most of their efforts. If you're in a room with a supervisor and the steward in my area, he will 95% of the time side with management. At the end of the day it comes down to how much you are willing to fight for yourself and argue with stubborn supervisors.

wilberforce15

There is no difference between a right to go home vs. a right to get to work. They are literally the exact same thing.

Both situations occur when you have more people than work. When there are more people than work, you offer the work from the top. If the top says yes, then he stays. If he says no, then he goes home.

A right to do the work (when there isn't enough) is the exact same as the right to go home when there isn't enough. Available work is to be offered to the top, and if they don't want it, then not taking it becomes a right to go home.