Can't do anything right

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Injuries are not handled the same as accidents I'm told. Accidents must be reported right away. If you fall and decline any medical treatment and request to keep working is another story entirely. At least that's what my steward explained to me.

We are told to report any injury or accident immediately. If I twist my ankle I ODS them and let them know what happened and whether or not I can finish the day.

We should call right away because we are to WAD. And with a concussion, 30 mins is a long time.

I don't think the OP did anything wrong, but there is definitely room for improvement in that process.

I agree with your last sentence.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
We should call right away because we are to WAD. And with a concussion, 30 mins is a long time.

I don't think the OP did anything wrong, but there is definitely room for improvement in that process.

Just curious what you think would have changed had I reported it immediately?

I must have missed the training in recognizing signs of a discussion PCM.

30 min is a long time. If there was an open head wound, bleeding from the ears/nose, immediate disorientation ,other obvious signs ,etc, I believe our OP would have taken appropriate, immediate, action. We weren't there. We're going off his info. We might have acted the same or different.

And in any fall, if it takes you a minute to get back up, you are down too long.

At my age I'd either stay down for 10 or be up immediately cursing the homeowner. Don't know which way until I fall.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Just curious what you think would have changed had I reported it immediately?

You would have CYA, and the center manager may not be asking to see you in his office Monday. No offense, but if someone, even you, hit their head on company time it isn't your call to wait a while to see how things are. After 5 mins it would have been apparent something was wrong, and that's when the call should have been made.

In this instance, it may not be a big deal, but when someone is injured on the job, it could be, which is why we are to report injuries rather quickly, if not immediately.

Again, you aren't "wrong", but it could have been better.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I must have missed the training in recognizing signs of a discussion PCM.

30 min is a long time. If there was an open head wound, bleeding from the ears/nose, immediate disorientation ,other obvious signs ,etc, I believe our OP would have taken appropriate, immediate, action. We weren't there. We're going off his info. We might have acted the same or different.

At my age I'd either stay down for 10 or be up immediately cursing the homeowner. Don't know which way until I fall.

Cach, we dont know the signs of a concussion, which is why if someone hits their head we are to act immediately. We don't know the signs of sprains/strains, which is why if after a minute we still feel pain we should act immediately. That doesn't mean we'd take ourselves out of service, but cover your butt.

I've called about possible sprained ankles before, and finished the day limping. Didn't seek medical treatment, however, and after icing and wrapping was back at it the next day, no injury report even filed. OTOH, I have also banged things and said to myself, "Why bother? Just a bump," and still feeling the pain days afterwards, but knowing the trouble ahead for reporting it late.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Come on.! I know some days I wake up with aches and pains. Then the next day its gone.

Aches and pains are one thing-----I am only 52 but I do the "old man walk" every morning.

If I were to twist my ankle on Monday and wait until the 27th to report it my center manager would have an absolute fit, especially if it resulted in a lost time injury.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
I guess I should have assumed she was in pain and in need of medical attention despite what she was telling me. I can see that now. Damn!! I thought I was doing the right thing..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guess I should have assumed she was in pain and in need of medical attention despite what she was telling me. I can see that now. Damn!! I thought I was doing the right thing..

...and other than waiting 30 minutes to report it you absolutely did the right thing.

Surprisingly there is little to no pain associated with a concussion.

Cach, we dont know the signs of a concussion, which is why if someone hits their head we are to act immediately. We don't know the signs of sprains/strains, which is why if after a minute we still feel pain we should act immediately.

How many times have we hit our head or seen a co-worker hit their head? Too numerous to count?
If we see it, ask them if they're ok and they say yes do we override them and call attention? Or do we keep an eye on them for a bit and see how they are?
Obvious injury requires immediate attention. Less obvious can maybe wait a few. The OP didn't hit his head so he couldn't judge. The adult runner did, said she was ok, and under the OP's observation was shortly overridden on her decision and then proper actions were taken.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
Well the important thing here is that she is doing o.k. now. My steward and BA both told me to not worry about what my center manager has planned for me Monday mourning. They said if I am disciplined they will not accept anything short of all back pay.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

how many times have we fallen and just kept on working? Almost never is something like that reported.

True, until that day "something" does.

I once "sprained" my index finger while rapidly turning the steering wheel on an old 800, 10 years ago. Even this winter I feel the pain in the finger, an injury that after a few minutes I knew was more than a stinger, but I didn't feel like the whole song-and-dance associated with reporting injuries (besides, spraining a finger while turning a steering wheel? Ain't that akin to breaking your leg playing chess?!)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well the important thing here is that she is doing o.k. now. My steward and BA both told me to not worry about what my center manager has planned for me Monday mourning. They said if I am disciplined they will not accept anything short of all back pay.

I would hope that your center manager will have taken the weekend to review what happened, taking in to account the obvious concern that you had for her well-being, and will simply want to review the procedures for reporting injuries with you.

You went above and beyond and are to be commended for your compassion.

I shudder to think what MarneVet would have done if he were the driver in question.

If you called immediately and waited for an ambulance, at UPS' expense, and it was determined there was no problem the the center manager would be pissed at the $1000 needlessly spent.

The fact is you used what could be considered by the majority to be reasonable caution and action by any normal, untrained, person.