Can't drive after you retire?

kenco80233

I am retired from the Central States.I don't have any intentions of going back to work,as long as I keep getting checks.I think sometimes my wife wishes that I would get a job to get me out of her hair.My outside friends have a hard time believing me,when I tell them that I am restricted from doing almost any kind of work.I am just wondering if anyone has or does work after retiring from the Central States.

trickpony1

"Maybe trickpony1 may know."
Trickpony doesn't know. Trickpony is in Central States too.
Trickpony did write a letter to the pension fund asking if a particular occupation that he is interested in doing after retirement was exempt.
CS wrote back and said, essentially, "......at this time it is."
I also asked if they (CS)could give me a list of available (approved) occupations for retirees and, guess what?, they couldn't.

satellitedriver

When I retired a friend who had retired a couple of years earlier asked me if I wanted to hire on where he was working. ($9.00 an hour). My response to him was "if I wanted to work I would of stayed at UPS and made good money." After goofing off for five years I now have a couple of FUN part time jobs (that don't tell anyone but) I would do for nothing . I had no trouble at all clearing these jobs through the union. The question "how would the union know if you were working a job you shouldn't be" was brought up at a union meeting one time and the answer was "your FRIENDS would tell us". When I heard that I though no way but yes it is true. They will.
CS checks with IRS and the Social Security Dept. using your SS number. It is in the small print on their website. Also, anyone can rat on you and they will investigate.
So, work for cash or have a business in your wifes name that you help out with for free.
It would be interesting to see how they would handle you owning an internet business that ships with a union carrier.

tieguy

Banned
CS checks with IRS and the Social Security Dept. using your SS number. It is in the small print on their website. Also, anyone can rat on you and they will investigate.
So, work for cash or have a business in your wifes name that you help out with for free.
It would be interesting to see how they would handle you owning an internet business that ships with a union carrier.

So whats stopping the members from having a vote that allows them to work when they retire?

DS

Fenderbender
are you guys serious?if you are retired and sick of macaroni,and you need to make a few bucks driving cab or delivering furniture its not allowed?what purpose does this serve?

canon

It serves the purpose of the union. If they can keep you working, they keep drawing union dues and aren't paying out retirement.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
A local ABF retired driver is a rent-a-cop at the mall. Originally got a job at a large local factory working in the yard and almost lost his pension. If you want to work that bad stay at the job your'e doing. It's called retirement.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So whats stopping the members from having a vote that allows them to work when they retire?

I know I dont want anyone to tell me what I can or cant do when I retire. If I live that long with CS. So I guess that will be my next mission, thanks for bringing it up. Good observation, duh, why didnt we think if that?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The reason a Teamster retiree can't work certain jobs is because the Teamsters want a new, younger employee taking over the retiree's vacated job. That way the Pension Funds and Teamsters will get thirty more years of contributions in the coffers. This was explained that way to me by a Central States representative at a Pension Seminar I went to. I don't know of a way to change this rule, since the members don't elect who runs the Pension Plans. Like I posted before, the Teamsters are going to do what it thinks is best for the IBT as a whole, I don't expect them to do what the UPS Teamsters want. Last IBT Election, about eighty per cent of the members thought it was too much trouble to mark a ballot and stick it in their mailbox. Our apathy as a whole will kill off the Teamsters, we blew a big chance for any improvements last election.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was not one of the 80%. I cant imagine I want to drive anything when I finally may retire either. Doing something Ive always enjoyed, maybe. But Ill make sure it isnt driving, or anything to do with delivering. Ive delivered for flower shops on Valentines day, and what a spoiled bunch of smucks who do not appreciate the effort it took their "lover" to do that!!!!!!!!!!!

Sammie

Different locals have different requirements as far as what you can and can't do when you retire. Here in Colorado, when you
retire, you can't perform any transportation jobs (Teamster or not)because the union feels that you have driven for 30 years and it is not fair that you now want to take a driving job away from a young man who could use that job to support his family.
If you have an interest to perform a particular type of job when you retire, clear it with the union first. In our location, a retired driver wanted to repair computers in a shop in his basement. This was not allowed. Another retiree
wanted to work at a newly constructed event center.That was OK. It's hard to tell, but your union will let you know what you can and can't do. Kind of a sorry situation, but there it is.

mittam

Different locals have different requirements as far as what you can and can't do when you retire. Here in Colorado, when you
retire, you can't perform any transportation jobs (Teamster or not)because the union feels that you have driven for 30 years and it is not fair that you now want to take a driving job away from a young man who could use that job to support his family.
If you have an interest to perform a particular type of job when you retire, clear it with the union first. In our location, a retired driver wanted to repair computers in a shop in his basement. This was not allowed. Another retiree
wanted to work at a newly constructed event center.That was OK. It's hard to tell, but your union will let you know what you can and can't do. Kind of a sorry situation, but there it is.

it's none of their business after we retire what we do regardless if you want to run a paper route or do something out of your house ever heard of free enterprise, I suppose someone who does a home job while working would have to give that up when they retire the brown

dragracer66

There is a simple solution to letting the teamsters telling us what to do ? Get rid of them and their rules - Answer to our problems :w00t:
Hey Goose ....It's not just the teamsters those rule's apply to, my union and almost every union out there have the same set of rules... I guess it just depend's on how each local handle's it....

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Hey Goose ....It's not just the teamsters those rule's apply to, my union and almost every union out there have the same set of rules... I guess it just depend's on how each local handle's it....
Like i said before we pay them to tell us what we can do or not ? But if the guys are happy being guided and told all their life why would they decide to change now. Their wifes probably do the same to them :crying:

upsdude

because the union feels that you have driven for 30 years and it is not fair that you now want to take a driving job away from a young man who could use that job to support his family.

I guess they think it's OK for some union officials to collect multiple pensions though. You'd think they would want to leave some of that money in the fund so an older guy could retire.

satellitedriver

"So whats stopping the members from having a vote that allows them to work when they retire?"

2nd that.
Ask your union officials. Maybe they will explain it to you. If not, then maybe we should call Micheal Jackson and get his monkey to explain it to us.
Simply put, CS and the teamster union do not want to give you your own money back.