Capital Punishment

Do you agree with capital punishment?

• Total voters

BrownArmy

Not a fan of capital punishment.

Aside from my moral objection, the death penalty doesn't seem to deter crime, and ends up being more expensive than 'life in prison'.

What's the point?

Seems to me, life in prison is a worse punishment in either case.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Eye for an eye!! I think people that commit heinous crimes against other humans (murder, rape, etc..) should be executed/punished in the same manner as said acts. And quit flushing our tax dollars down the drain by keeping scumbags alive

BrownArmy

Eye for an eye!! I think people that commit heinous crimes against other humans (murder, rape, etc..) should be executed/punished in the same manner as said acts. And quit flushing our tax dollars down the drain by keeping scumbags alive

Except it ends up costing the taxpayer more to prosecute death penalty cases, so...

rickyb

if theres no other developed countries which practice capital punishment, then this may be another example of america bveing the only country practicing uncivilized policies like being the only country with no paid vacation time by law, the only country with no paid maternity leave by law, etc.

oldngray

nowhere special

While I am for capital punishment the Biblical concept of an eye for an eye is usually said with the wrong meaning. It does mean proportional punishment but more as a limit, such as no more than an eye for an eye. Intended to restrict the escalation that could lead to wholesale slaughter.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm assuming that's some article on how many wrongful death sentence convictions there have been or something. I'm talking about the kinda guys found with multiple bodies in their backyard and :censored2:. I don't think there is any reason to shelter and feed these people for many many years.
Its more inhumane to stick them on death row for 20 or 30 years before you decide whether you will execute them.

I don't think it should be done in most murder cases but there are definitely some so extreme I think its warranted.

BrownArmy

I'm assuming that's some article on how many wrongful death sentence convictions there have been or something. I'm talking about the kinda guys found with multiple bodies in their backyard and :censored2:. I don't think there is any reason to shelter and feed these people for many many years.

Yes, there have been multiple exonerations after the fact, sometimes posthumously.

As well, there are repeated indications of defense misconduct - in the backstory of one of the recent Arkansas executions, Ledell Lee's defense lawyer was drunk, a member of the prosecution was having an affair with the trial judge, the police screwed up the investigation, Mr. Lee was probably mentally impaired, etc.

It's not clear that he was guilty, but now he's dead, because Arkansas needed to get rid of their expired 'medicine'.

Smells like justice to me!

Last edited by a moderator: