Caught on camera: UPS Driver kicks dog.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a bike shop that has a very mean dog on the sales floor. I used to ask them to bring him in to the other room while I was there. It took me a long time until he figured out that I was the boss. Now I walk in, he looks up and goes back to what he was doing.

No, sober, I did not use dog biscuits.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I have a bike shop that has a very mean dog on the sales floor. I used to ask them to bring him in to the other room while I was there. It took me a long time until he figured out that I was the boss. Now I walk in, he looks up and goes back to what he was doing.

You are just a legend...........in your own mind.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

How much time did you waste asking and then standing around and waiting for them to put the dog in the back room?

I know I could cut 30 to 60 minutes off of your paid day easily.

soberups

I don't think our driver is blameless here. Given the benefit of 20/20 hindsight there are certainly better choices he could and should have made. Warning letter? Certainly. Suspension? Possibly, but seems a bit harsh. Termination? Ridiculous and totally out of proportion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think our driver is blameless here. Given the benefit of 20/20 hindsight there are certainly better choices he could and should have made. Warning letter? Certainly. Suspension? Possibly, but seems a bit harsh. Termination? Ridiculous and totally out of proportion.

He made physical contact without provocation. He's done.

soberups

I am a tall and very slender guy and even I wouldn't have felt threatened by Ponytail.

Our guy assumed an offensive stance throughout the encounter.
You weren't there and didn't have Ponytail guy getting in your face. One perceives threats differently when viewing them on videotape from behind a keyboard than one does when facing them in real life and in real time.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

I've seen guys walked at and made to wait to go to panel for less. I'm pretty sure they'll do an intent to terminate and make him sit at home waiting for the hearing. Ups won't care about the back pay grievance or returning to a working termination. They'll make an example of him because of the media attention.

O

OLDMAN3

He has already been disciplined and it is far past the 10 day window to further discipline.
So all talk about termination is now frivolous. They can not further discipline him because of the media attention.

Travwise

Keep in mind the hippie could have been running towards the driver screaming, "I'm gonna :censored2:ing kill you!!!" In which a preemptive push is no longer offensive, you're simply preparing for the worst. Why on earth should the driver have to be punched first?

Please remember before you nail this guy to the cross that a video never tells a complete story. Around the corner the hippie could have been repeatedly kicking the driver in the balls. You simply can't decide the guy should be fired based on 15 seconds of video.

I hope our guy is still working and thrashing hippies alllllll across his fine city. Shame on all of you for your harsh judgement. Hope nothing like that ever happens to you. Two people know what happened. I'm not one of them, either are you.

I am a guest here, I do not work nor have I ever worked for UPS or any other delivery service. But in spite of that I hope what I have to say is germane, helpful and well received.

The day after this news story broke the dog owner was telling everyone that the dog in question was his "service dog" and hence to make the UPS driver look worse "the UPS driver kicked his service dog." This is where I have some first hand knowledge because I have a 80 pound Rottweiler-mix service dog.

By law a service dog may not be protective, it has to be calm to do its job. If a dog is protective, then by law it is not a service dog; and to be honest I take it personal every time someone tries to pass off their 20 # ankle bitter as a service dog. So to me, the dog owner has lost all credibility.

Christopher, my service dog does interact with all delivery people at my address, he is delighted to greet them and does love any TLC provided. I joke that Christopher is having an affair with my 5'0" female mail carrier, suffice it say they get along great.

When Christopher was less than 6 months old he did have one incident with the UPS driver. When I opened my front door to pick up a package Christopher escaped and in a flash was INSIDE the UPS truck "just to say hello". The driver scooped up Christopher and returned him to my door all the while getting his face licked. Ever since UPS has been my service of choice. My worst fear at that moment was that the UPS driver might have accidently drive over my puppy. Instead of a tragedy we had a very good day and yes I called UPS corporate to thank them for this exemplary service.

One other bit of legal trivia I'd like to share. In my state, PA, a disabled person can use lethal force on any who assaults them (period). Thy need not be in fear of their life or out numbered, and the person assaulting them need not be armed. If I found anyone kicking my dog I would physically stop them; and if they assaulted me on my own property I might have recourse to that 45 caliber belly gun I carry with police loads. The average gun fight in the USA takes place at less than an arm's lengths distance and I'd assume that with a 10" diameter hole anywhere in his chest the driver would not be finishing his route nor returning to work that day. I pray it would never come to that. But since my dog is trained not to protect himself or me, I take my responsibility to protect us both very seriously. I have and will assault anyone or anything who attacks my service dog. I'm a very big guy so far I haven't had to shoot anyone yet.

I am emphatic to delivery persons. I have a highly trained and highly social bonafide service dog who greets all visitors from inside a closed screen door. I have an exemplary relationship with all delivery persons who service my area. I have little or no sympathy for some addict in a homeless shelter passing off their ill trained 20 # ankle bitter as a service dog. In FL, (this took place in CA) passing off your dog as a service dog is a criminal offense.

Have said all of that, at my home, on my property, one would do well to greet the dog without kicking it, and address the property owner with out physically shoving me.

One thing about this thread that strikes me, the USPS reserves the right to deny service to any address with aggressive out of control dogs, does UPS have the same policy?

& yes I have eleven exterior high definition CCTV cameras and one interior camera at my home, recording any audio, under PA law, would be illegal.

Thank you one and all for your hospitality;

Respectfully, but please don't shove me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One thing about this thread that strikes me, the USPS reserves the right to deny service to any address with aggressive out of control dogs, does UPS have the same policy?

Yes.

>>One thing about this thread that strikes me, the USPS reserves the right to deny service to any address with aggressive out of control dogs, does UPS have the same policy?

> Yes.

Thank you for the quick answer. I'd like to think that if the driver had prior bad experience with that dog at the homeless shelter, and UPS mngt had contacted the shelter, that the whole problem could have been avoided.
01_3.JPG

BTW, cute grand daughter. I have a flood of pre-schoolers in my "tribe". Christopher is a huge hit with them because he is so calm, gentle and has infinite patience.