Caught on camera: UPS Driver kicks dog.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Sorry, p tmer, I asked years ago about self defense... and that's what we see here
This isn't self defense. Period.
So your just gonna stand there and get you arse kicked
That's what I figured
Didn't say that. The driver started the fight when he kicked the dog. If someone attacks me I'm going to fight back. But I'm not going to kick a dog and then fight a customer because I'm having a bad day.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Here's the only fact that matters: The guy still has his job.

And that's the problem. This isn't a slip up. This guys aggression is a time bomb. Look at the behavior. If ups let that guy back and he does it again because he will, they're liable.

I'm pro Union and pro teamster but even I have a hard time thinking he kept his job and deserves to.

Johney

The driver didn't break the leash law!!
The leash law is irrelevant at the point the driver put his hands on the guy. The whole dog issue will most likely not even be mentioned in his hearing to get his job back. He put his hands on the other guy first period. Like Orion's BFF said, the driver could have easily backed off and defended himself from this guy without touching him,warned him to stay back,then if the guy continued at him get in the truck and call police(and don't give me crap about if he had a phone or not)if the guy proceeded to come after him into the vehicle and then pushed the guy out/down I don't think he would be looking for a new job.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
YOU WERE NOT THERE! You cannot judge! there is an old saying " no man has the wisdom to judge another."

I agree with soberups and realbrown1. it appears in the video that the customer was charging and ready to hit the driver and the driver was defending himself.

I am not a lawyer but I took criminal justice courses in college. what the customer did was an action of "assault" which is against the law. it is a perception that a "battery" is about to occur and the driver has every right to defend himself even before he is hit because in his mind he thought he was about to be hit.

even though the driver committed battery I believe he was defending himself and had the right. with good representation from a lawyer or the teamsters he should be able to retain his job.

moreluck

golden ticket member
What Are Leash Laws?
Leash laws vary by state and locality. In general, they require that dogs be kept on leashes unless confined to a house or fenced yard. Confinement of the dogs must also be effective, which means that simply restraining them with your voice is not adequate. Your local ordinance will specify what is and is not effective confinement.

What If My Dog Stays on My Property?
Sometimes, dogs will stay in their owners' yards or property without being fenced in. However, this may not be adequate according to local leash laws. In many cases, even when a dog is on your own property, it must still be confined or leashed.

- See more at: http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/leash-laws.html#sthash.eowYyIy9.dpuf

Orion inc.

I like turtles
YOU WERE NOT THERE! You cannot judge! there is an old saying " no man has the wisdom to judge another."

I agree with soberups and realbrown1. it appears in the video that the customer was charging and ready to hit the driver and the driver was defending himself.

I am not a lawyer but I took criminal justice courses in college. what the customer did was an action of "assault" which is against the law. it is a perception that a "battery" is about to occur and the driver has every right to defend himself even before he is hit because in his mind he thought he was about to be hit.

even though the driver committed battery I believe he was defending himself and had the right. with good representation from a lawyer or the teamsters he should be able to retain his job.

You're absolutely wrong. And going off just the video, the other guy DID NOT engage first. That's your self defense arguments done right there. I know a lot about this stuff and while not there, the video is clear on some major points. You can have someone charge you all they want but if don't touch or engage you, and you push them first, sorry. Game over with self defense. It's called the fight or flight scenario.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
with good representation from a lawyer or the teamsters he should be able to retain his job.
He doesn't deserve to retain his job.
Officials at UPS did not disclose if the driver was reprimanded or the driver’s name. Nevertheless, Paulsen said he has seen the driver working the same route since the incident and does not think UPS handled the incident appropriately.
Before the incident became public. You think corporate is going to let this guy stick around after all the negative media attention?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
This isn't self defense. Period.

Didn't say that. The driver started the fight when he kicked the dog. If someone attacks me I'm going to fight back. But I'm not going to kick a dog and then fight a customer because I'm having a bad day.
Tell me again how many pkgs you have delivered

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our guy was clearly the aggressor.

Johney

You're absolutely wrong. And going off just the video, the other guy DID NOT engage first. That's your self defense arguments done right there. I know a lot about this stuff and while not there, the video is clear on some major points. You can have someone charge you all they want but if don't touch or engage you, and you push them first, sorry. Game over with self defense. It's called the fight or flight scenario.
Exactly. What people aren't getting is EVERYTHING changes because he is wearing that uniform.