center manager said the most atrocious thing.

10 Pt

He probably said it, hoping that the driver would snap and they could walk him off for insubordination. Is it wrong what the center manager said? Absolutely. But the only one who can be walked off in that situation is the driver, if he snapped. What a dirtbag that center manager is. He tried to bait the driver into doing something foolish.
Yeah, driver walked out and the center manager carried out.
The punk center manager is a lucky person.

10 Pt

Both are easily replaced.
To me, that's not the point.
Degrading an employee by using their sister's murder by hit and run is getting into the realm of wilful and aggravated intimidation and I don't know many people that could turn their cheek on that.

ManInBrown

We had a driver years ago call out sick one morning. His father was very ill and was probably going to die that day. The OCS and I quote said "I'm running a business here" I would have got in my car, drove down there and decked him.

My parents are getting up there in age, but healthy thank god. I can't imagine the day when I'm dealing with my mother or father passing. I don't even want to think about it. I come from a small family with no real extended family and I've never had to deal with death other then the family pet. I don't think 3 days bereavement will do it for me. I couldn't imagine one of these vile supervisors or CMs mouthing off to me. I'll lose it

Last edited:
To me, that's not the point.
Degrading an employee by using their sister's murder by hit and run is getting into the realm of wilful and aggravated intimidation and I don't know many people that could turn their cheek on that.
Lies and intimidation are just tools in the center managers toolbox. Just about the only tools he has left.

10 Pt

We had a driver years ago call out sick one morning. His father was very ill and was probably going to die that day. The OCS and I quote said "I'm running a business here" I would have got in my car, drive down there and decked him.

My parents are getting up there in age, but healthy thank god. I can't imagine the day when I'm dealing with my mother or father passing. I don't even want to think about it. I come from a small family with no real extended family and I've never had to deal with death other then the family pet. I don't think 3 days bereavement will do I for me. I couldn't imagine one of these vile supervisors or CMs mouthing off to me. I'll lose it
They never have figured out when the straw that breaks the camel's back will occur.
Some management folks tread on thin ice and don't understand what the repercussions may be for the things they do.
One of our drivers was raised by his grandparents and when he got a call telling him his grandmother was about to die the freak supe told him to keep driving until they get a replacement.
His grandmother died before he got home.
Hate is a strong word but it becomes applicable when the employee is treated this way.

over9five

Staff member
I just want to point out not all management respond the same way when a family member passes.
When my father died, they told me to bring in whatever I had left (I did finish my p/us). They also told me to take as much time off as I needed. We started EDD that very week, so not one driver could make it to the wake as the routes had been all screwed up. My center manager did come.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My father (not my Dad) passed away shortly before Peak several years ago. Since he was being cremated there was no rush to schedule the services. I worked through Peak and my center manager returned the favor by giving me the whole week after Christmas off.

Things may have been different had there been a closer relationship between my father and I.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Do you think the company really cares?

I just want to point out not all management respond the same way when a family member passes.

It definitely depends on the individual(s).

When my father died, they told me to bring in whatever I had left (I did finish my p/us). They also told me to take as much time off as I needed.

I have never seen anyone refused additional time off. (within reason)

Especially, if you are the executor of the estate.

But, I have had the unpleasant experience of having to hear grievances, when the

company "forgot" to pay the appropriate funeral pay.

Forgetting once is a mistake.

The Labor Dept having to fork over "penalty pay" on a grievance for it....

Will get a management person reassigned, real quick.

-Bug-