Center not honoring 8 hour guarantee to drivers while using PVDs

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
This morning the supervisors were begging drivers to take the day off work. There were so many routes cut because they're giving all of the work to the pvds and there ended up being extra drivers without routes. They had to give some of us pvd routes but then they stated that we couldn't get our 8 hour guarantee and once we were done we had to go home. Our Steward doesn't seem to be helpful and was wanting to come here to ask advice from you guys on how to proceed.
Each and every full timer has one thing in common. We all are guaranteed 8hrs of “pay”. It’s important to know the difference, as we are not guaranteed 8hrs of “work”, just 8hrs of “pay”.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
PVDs are going no where. The only things that will happen is they will finally put language about them in the contract.
No helpers or PVD's before Thanksgiving or after Christmas. They are not needed anyway.

The only reason the company is cutting routes currently asking drivers to go home or work code 5 is they are afraid the PVD scabs will quit before peak. Not our problem. Pay enough and they will flock.

I read most of the UPS union contract/book last night out of curiosity. There is a provision that allows UPS to use non UPS employees at times of only November and December and under those times RPCD are not guaranteed 40.
Section continues stating 22.4 and 22.2 sub sections of contract also. May be wrong I'm not a lawyer.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20221104_092324_Drive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20221104_092324_Drive.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 38

Integrity

Binge Poster
This morning the supervisors were begging drivers to take the day off work. There were so many routes cut because they're giving all of the work to the pvds and there ended up being extra drivers without routes. They had to give some of us pvd routes but then they stated that we couldn't get our 8 hour guarantee and once we were done we had to go home. Our Steward doesn't seem to be helpful and was wanting to come here to ask advice from you guys on how to proceed.
What did your Steward say?

Trucker Clock

I would argue pvds are not even in the contract.
They get to start same time as seasonal drivers, which is 1.5 months before helpers can be used... makes no sense.

You can argue all you want.

PVD's are dues paying seasonal package car drivers. The issue is that they drive their personal vehicle, not a package car or a rented U-Haul. But, they are still seasonal package car drivers.

Trucker Clock

I read most of the UPS union contract/book last night out of curiosity. There is a provision that allows UPS to use non UPS employees at times of only November and December and under those times RPCD are not guaranteed 40.
Section continues stating 22.4 and 22.2 sub sections of contract also. May be wrong I'm not a lawyer.

No, you're not a lawyer, and yes, you are wrong. You better read it again.