Central region - On road sup

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
They might be asking you to consider becoming an on road sup but you are so far from actually becoming one it is not even funny. There are so many steps and hoops to jump through. I considered the move after 5 years with the company. After 34 years I am so glad I stayed driving. Most of the people I know that went into management were gone long ago.

They will make you write a letter talking about how you would be an asset to the company. You will have to go through a series of interviews with your center manager, Human Resources, division manager, and finally district manager. Division manager told me what I would be earning and all the other things you need to know. (Pay scale is less than what a driver earns starting out and yes, you pay for your insurance) They were going to transfer me across the state right out of the gate. So yes, they can make you move. I changed my mind right before my interview with the district manager.

Things might have changed some in the process since 1989 but I would imagine it is closer to what I experienced than what you are thinking. Do yourself a favor and stay put. It ain’t worth it. Most of the perks they offered back then are not even available anymore.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There really is no reason anybody should leave the union in a job change unless it was some huge college-secured jump. Here's a list of actually good non-union jobs that are actually worth a damn: plant engineering, business development branch (I think this is where @TearsInRain is at right now), Diesel/Maintenance mechanic, the occupational health nurse, programming, and the big two division manager and any lead consultant.
PE and mechanics are generally union

Brisket

I think i might switch to feeders though. Shouldnt have started in my 40s. Not to mention they like how fast i work so im the only one who leaves the hub with 250+ daily and get told oh, dont forget 9.5!

Stops!?!? Oh HELL NO! Take your lunch and breaks! Geez!

Brownpants80

Stops!?!? Oh HELL NO! Take your lunch and breaks! Geez!
Yes stops. Im doing more now then i did peak. And they know i recently got diagnosed with asthma on top of it. It got so bad im on 4 medications! No one else leaves the hub with more then 190. I started slowing down. Instead of sending me to help, they can send people to help me.

clean hairy

Sometimes an hourly will be asked to go into supervision. They are informed they did not make it through probation and let go. They have no union or recourse, and no going back to hourly.
Sometimes an easy way to get rid of an hourly they do not care for.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Pretty friend*d up i can do 250 plus they make me go help when these other guys have LESS to go out with!
Sucka..... you might learn after 5 years and one knee replacement and 2 slipped disks in your back....by then it will be too late and ups will be paying you off pennies on the dollar to go away.... you will barely be able to walk so what’s going to be your plan B???? Move back home to moms and dads basement forever??

ManInBrown

Anyone know how much they pay for insurance...

With all this 9.5 its not looking like a big pay difference. All peak we were 9.5 and we have one of the busiest centers around. Once 22.4 arrives....i probably wont work mondays due to no volume.

Hense why im concodering a change. Maybe not such a bad idea to concider saving my body.

Im thinking about a change to feeders also. Not sounding to good to leave the union strictly for the healthcare.
You’re prefect for mgmt. They can’t spell either