Cherry picking for easy warning letters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod

Retired 22 years
Union employees keep my job safe and secure, as long as you guys continue to screw up, work unsafe and fail to follow proper methods and instructions - my job is secure.
You want to screw management, start doing things right. Until then, thanks for job security.

There's a rookie statement if I ever heard one.:happy2:

tieguy

Banned
The man is a 23 year safe driver. Maybe your little observations you think are so important that they take you away from your "responsibilities" mean nothing.

Don't you think we as drivers care about our own safety?

Lets say for example I am a brilliant safety manager and I come up with a new slogan. We' ll call it .....LAST... which stands for Look And See Things.

The other desk jockeys and I slap each other on the backs and order extra doughnuts ( bad for you heart by the way) to celebrate.

We tell our drivers to memorize our new slogan. Obviously we have greatly improved our driver safety because they will now Look And See Things.

Then we cut 4 routes to meet our SPORH numbers sending drivers out till after dark on areas they are unfamiliar with. Surely they won't have accidents because we just taugtht them to Look And See Things.

I am safe not because of what management does.... I am safe in spite of what management does.

We not talking about a brillant new slogan here.

we're talking about driving with the hands at the 10 and 2 position and we're talking about the push pull method of steering.

If you were a professional driver you would know these are two industry recognized methods of safely maintaining maximum control of the vehicle.

He chose to ignore these methods because he thinks he knows better then the company and the industry on what he should do on the road.

If you're going to fire your shots at me at least try to stay on topic or better yet in the same ballpark?

rod

Retired 22 years
He's actually making a valid point. if you don't like what your sup is doing then put him out of business by doing the job by the methods.

Point taken but I have NEVER heard of a "perfect" hourly employee. When being evaluated management always finds something wrong just to make it look like they are doing their job. I will pose the question to all empolyees - managemet and hourly alike---Has anyone ever been told they were perfect at their UPS job-- no need to improve on anything?

Cezanne

Point taken but I have NEVER heard of a "perfect" hourly employee. When being evaluated management always finds something wrong just to make it look like they are doing their job. I will pose the question to all empolyees - managemet and hourly alike---Has anyone ever been told they were perfect at their UPS job-- no need to improve on anything?
Hell No, I am just thankful they haven't hit me with the cat of nine tails lately. Got the scars to proof it.:knockedout:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's a great point that puts me in mind of a recent safety ride, I think they call it S and V training. The supe, not my regular on car supe, told me he was required to find 6 infractions on each side of the form. In this context, I really don't have a big problem with that as it's a training exercise. The problem with what happened with Sober, is he was subjected to progressive dissipline for the equivalent of a ticky tacky foul call in a ball game.

UPS Lifer

HTML:
Great Post.

But this center manager is tired of asking, reminding, re-training on the same topics everyone complains about. My new style is - I remind, retrain, ask you one last time then I am going to start typing. I am totally over it. I am ten warning letters and 1 suspension a head of last year.[/QUOTE]

I never was a big fan of warning letters... Not that I didn't give out a few.... but my first and foremost approach was to change behavior.  If I had to give a warning letter or worse, I feel I failed in my job.  With that approach, I always slept at night.  If I had to give a warning letter that means that all my attempts at talking to and working wiith an enployee had failed and further corrective action  had to take place. 

I was never impressed with managers and supervisors who kept track of discipline as if it were a measure of their ability to manage.  In fact, it is just the opposite!  

To me the measure of success was zero grievances and zero warning letters.

Here is an example - Missed PUs were big in my day.  Instead of giving a warning letter for a missed pu, I instructed the driver to pull a sheet from every account and bring all the sheets to me.  If he/she had a missed pu the following day, we had proof of a pu record turned in.  No further discipline needed, no reason to suspend or fire a driver for missed pus.

Re-Raise

I never was a big fan of warning letters... Not that I didn't give out a few.... but my first and foremost approach was to change behavior. If I had to give a warning letter or worse, I feel I failed in my job. With that approach, I always slept at night. If I had to give a warning letter that means that all my attempts at talking to and working wiith an enployee had failed and further corrective action had to take place.

I was never impressed with managers and supervisors who kept track of discipline as if it were a measure of their ability to manage. In fact, it is just the opposite!

To me the measure of success was zero grievances and zero warning letters.

Here is an example - Missed PUs were big in my day. Instead of giving a warning letter for a missed pu, I instructed the driver to pull a sheet from every account and bring all the sheets to me. If he/she had a missed pu the following day, we had proof of a pu record turned in. No further discipline needed, no reason to suspend or fire a driver for missed pus.

What you were doing was actually fixing problems. All management does now is create paper trails to cover themselves.

It lessens any credibility they had when they give warning letters for something as trivial as this.

And Tieguy is the perfect example of why we need a union. He can tell us with a straight face how important it is to keep our hands at 10 and 2 while parked, and how a warning letter was justified.

God help us if we were at the mercy of these clowns without union representation.

Next they will start writing us up for stepping out of the truck with the wrong foot.

Omega man

Its been a nice journey through it all we learned that how evil management is. We've learned that raw is superior to his supervisors because raw spends more time at the gym then they do. Here again we hear that management being top heavy is the reason soberups got a warning letter.

And yet none of you management haters ever touched on the intent behind the observations to change unsafe behaviors. None of you were able to give us solutions to get people to stop acting like sober and actually follow safe work methods regardless of who is watching.

you folks shouldn't get mad at management. You should mad at yourself for being stupid enough to give managment reasons to spy on you and reasons to give you warning letters.

The observations won't stop when the 1800 managers leave and the micromanagement definitely won't stop when they leave. If you think management will now start looking the other way and pretending they don't know your out there working unsafely then you will be dissapointed in april.

This is offensive.......this post must be deleted. : )

tieguy

Banned
And Tieguy is the perfect example of why we need a union. He can tell us with a straight face how important it is to keep our hands at 10 and 2 while parked, and how a warning letter was justified.

God help us if we were at the mercy of these clowns without union representation.

Next they will start writing us up for stepping out of the truck with the wrong foot.

Union representation won't stop the warning letters from coming.

As long as you keep calling it BS and not taking it serious the warning letters will continue to come.

If I'm your bogeyman for at least trying to explain the process to you then so be it. It won't hurt my feelings.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ok--I guess I will ask you point blank tie----have you ever told any hourly that they are perfect and nothing needs to change? Have you yourself ever been told you don't need to improve on something? My point being-- a warning letter can always be given out if some ya-hoo want to give one.

Re-Raise

If I'm your bogeyman for at least trying to explain the process to you then so be it. It won't hurt my feelings.

First of all , I don't believe in the bogeyman, and it appears to me you are defending the process not explaining it. That makes you one of the clowns.

Clowns do bother me a little bit. Just the real scary ones ... not the funny ones who think they are important.

tieguy

Banned
First of all , I don't believe in the bogeyman, and it appears to me you are defending the process not explaining it. That makes you one of the clowns.

Clowns do bother me a little bit. Just the real scary ones ... not the funny ones who think they are important.

I'm sorry to hear you think you're a clown but thanks for sharing anyway.

softshoe

TIEGUY should consider himself lucky he has a job. With his lack of common sense he would never survive in the real world.

tieguy

Banned
I see what you did there.

Hope you didn't wear yourself out coming up with that witty retort.

Shouldn't you be resting or something?

not at all .

I'm surprised you saw it you may be a little bit smarter then I give you credit.

The fact is you keep trying to sell yourself as some kind of management ball buster

but in this case I was easily able to turn the tables on you and beat you with your own stupidity.

I see guys like you. at work a lot. you talk the tough stuff at work while in the locker room. But you'll follow me around like a puppy dog and tell me what a great company man you really are.

"Oh look Boss I just happened to have an extra dunkin donuts coffee, jut like you like it boss. Ain't I the best"

Yes re-raise you the man. now spit shine my wing tips for me.

tieguy

Banned
Ok--I guess I will ask you point blank tie----have you ever told any hourly that they are perfect and nothing needs to change? Have you yourself ever been told you don't need to improve on something? My point being-- a warning letter can always be given out if some ya-hoo want to give one.

rod I think you'rie setting the bar too high. I would be surprised if anyone out there is better then 50 to 60 percent on safe work methods when not being observed by management.
Sad fact is our people decide they can take shortcuts and often do. thats why management is doing the observationjs.

satellitedriver

Yes,
It only happened once, on an OJS ride.
The sup said he was to suppose to find 7 things wrong, but he could not.
He shook my hand and told me it was the best ride he had ever been on with a driver.
Those days are long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.