China "Dog Meat" Festival Begins

BrownArmy

Sorry, was typing in a hurry and the window to edit closed on me. Here you go:

No, I read it, it just gave me a headache.

And, like I said, many good points in your post.

However, you must concede that in 2017 the human race has figured out how to sustain human life without animal products. It's true!

I eat chicken, turkey, salmon, mackerel, octopus, etc. Not a fan of beef (once a year, at a wedding or funeral), or pork.

Hence, I'm not the vanguard of the 'don't eat flesh' movement.

But, it's completely possible to live as a human with a 'flesh-free' diet, and live in complete health.

Just saying.

BrownArmy

main-qimg-093d6eabfdc2c186ee06e90b7ed96db2-c

rickyb

And who will they tax to continue funding social security? Social security was conceived with never-ending population and economic growth in mind. Japan is already starting to feel the effects of demographic implosion. Not enough youngsters to support the needs of the elderly.
im pretty sure US social security was created during the great depression (note how they created social programs back then and today we cut programs and suck money out of the economy) and it is easily "fixed" until 2070 roughly by lifting the regressive tax cap

rickyb

Vitamin b12 is necessary for red blood cell creation. It is made by a bacterial fermentation process. Humans do not ingest enough of the bacteria in their diets to supply enough of their own b12. To compound the problem b12 is a large molecule that is difficult to absorb. Most b12 supplements are created from animal sources, though some are created directly from the bacterial fermentation process, but the cost of producing enough b12 through these processes to supply everyone with enough b12 would be prohibitive. As such, consuming animals is necessary for the health and well being of a vast majority of humans.
Furthermore, all animal life requires the consumption of other life forms. If you want to differentiate between sentient and non-sentient life as though you fully understand what that means, you are free to do so.
The way we raise animals, in some cases, is unconscionable, but properly raising, and properly grazing larger numbers of livestock animals can both reverse the supposed causes of supposed anthropomorphic global warming and feed more people. Search planned grazing for more information.
As far as growing food in controlled environments, though sounding ideal, has not proven to be cost effective enough to replace traditional farming practices, though I personally hope future developments change this fact.
As for laboratory grown meat products, again, I'm all for it, but it's a long way away from fruition, and even further away from cost effectiveness. I have my concerns about food production being done entirely in controlled environment settings, because food supplies would be highly sensitive to any disruptions in social order, which will spiral quickly out of control once food becomes scarce. I favor more natural and humane food production that work with natural cycles over highly controlled food production. Anyone who believes that they can live without somehow exploiting the lives of sentient beings in one way or another, to one degree or another, is suffering from a severe case of denial. I support your right to limit your reliance on the exploitation of sentient beings, but I don't support your hypocrisy in telling others they should eliminate their own reliance on the same.
i find it hard to believe taking vitamin b12 is more inefficient than raising animals.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Vitamin b12 is necessary for red blood cell creation. It is made by a bacterial fermentation process. Humans do not ingest enough of the bacteria in their diets to supply enough of their own b12. To compound the problem b12 is a large molecule that is difficult to absorb. Most b12 supplements are created from animal sources, though some are created directly from the bacterial fermentation process, but the cost of producing enough b12 through these processes to supply everyone with enough b12 would be prohibitive. As such, consuming animals is necessary for the health and well being of a vast majority of humans.
Furthermore, all animal life requires the consumption of other life forms. If you want to differentiate between sentient and non-sentient life as though you fully understand what that means, you are free to do so.
The way we raise animals, in some cases, is unconscionable, but properly raising, and properly grazing larger numbers of livestock animals can both reverse the supposed causes of supposed anthropomorphic global warming and feed more people. Search planned grazing for more information.
As far as growing food in controlled environments, though sounding ideal, has not proven to be cost effective enough to replace traditional farming practices, though I personally hope future developments change this fact.
As for laboratory grown meat products, again, I'm all for it, but it's a long way away from fruition, and even further away from cost effectiveness. I have my concerns about food production being done entirely in controlled environment settings, because food supplies would be highly sensitive to any disruptions in social order, which will spiral quickly out of control once food becomes scarce. I favor more natural and humane food production that work with natural cycles over highly controlled food production. Anyone who believes that they can live without somehow exploiting the lives of sentient beings in one way or another, to one degree or another, is suffering from a severe case of denial. I support your right to limit your reliance on the exploitation of sentient beings, but I don't support your hypocrisy in telling others they should eliminate their own reliance on the same.
Good lord, there's so much to disagree with there I don't even know where to begin. Consuming animals is not "necessary for the health and well being of a vast majority of humans". It's just not, that's proven.

I eat meat because I like it, I don't need to make up a bunch of excuses and pretend I have to eat animals.

It will be fine

Most b12 supplements are created from animal sources, though some are created directly from the bacterial fermentation process, but the cost of producing enough b12 through these processes to supply everyone with enough b12 would be prohibitive. As such, consuming animals is necessary for the health and well being of a vast majority of humans.
Industrial production of B12 is done completely by bacterial fermentation. It is not more costly than raising cows for food. You should drop this argument for your excuse for eating meat, it's not true and easily proven false.

It will be fine

I searched planned grazing. It looks to be widely debunked and flawed science. It doesn't reverse global warming. The entire premise is flawed especially when the animals are removed from the ecosystem for human consumption, they don't die on the plains and return their nutrients to the system.

If these are your reasons for eating meat, you might want to do more research.

It will be fine

I would think the nutrients would return through the waste of the consumer though not a reason to eat meat
The planned grazing argument is that grasslands are healthier with herds of grazing animals. It's not true and taking the dead animals off the land makes it even less true.

newfie

The planned grazing argument is that grasslands are healthier with herds of grazing animals. It's not true and taking the dead animals off the land makes it even less true.

not sure what the measure is but I've certainly seen a lot of grazed grasslands that looked healthy